Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
CaptFalco1214

CaptFalco1214 is off to a bad start
Default Something's not right here....

what's up guys! So I've been roaming around this forum for a while after finding bendthebar's upper/lower split routine which has been great. I started getting into weight lifting in my sophomore year of college, about 5 years ago, when I hit 235 lbs of fat at 5'8. I was able to slim down to a lean 175 after about 2 years which was really life changing! After graduating and starting work full time, I have slipped up a bit and have stayed at 190 for the last 2 years gaining fat again and not much more muscle.

Over the last 3 months, I have cut my calories to 2300, rarely ever eat sweets or drink alcohol and try to cook as much of my own food as possible. I have consistently hit the weights 4-5 times a week and literally sleep 8 hours every night. I do have a decent amount of muscle (squat 260/bench 275/deadlift 365) but I am about 15% BF still and am now 186 over the 3 months.

Do you all think this is a matter of reducing calories even more? I have a labor intensive job, so I'm not usually sitting behind a desk and sweat a good amount at work. Not saying I burn a whole lot of calories there but it's something! Thanks guys for any input, the crowd here seems a lot more knowledgeable than another certain bodybuilding forum
CaptFalco1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

2300 calories gives you plenty of room to cut more calories and see how you respond. If you're very active and you train then your body has actually become far more efficient, so you may still have to cut calories down even though you are active throughout the day.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
CaptFalco1214

Do you think another cut of 200 calories would make a big difference? I guess it's as simple as just not having a fiber bar at night lol. I was thinking to add 10-15 minutes of hiit after lifting, but I think it would leave me drained for work, which I go into about an hour and a half after the gym.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

200-300 should help. One thing that jumps out to me is that your squat is weaker than your bench. To me that says that you aren't doing enough lower body work. Remember, more muscle means more calories used all the time, and the biggest muscles in your body are your lower body. If you are doing lots of upper body work and just a little lower body work you aren't burning nearly as many calories from lifting as you could.

Cut down to around 2000 calories and get those squat and deadlift numbers up, that should get you headed in the right direction.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
Ramrod
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
200-300 should help. One thing that jumps out to me is that your squat is weaker than your bench. To me that says that you aren't doing enough lower body work. Remember, more muscle means more calories used all the time, and the biggest muscles in your body are your lower body. If you are doing lots of upper body work and just a little lower body work you aren't burning nearly as many calories from lifting as you could.

Cut down to around 2000 calories and get those squat and deadlift numbers up, that should get you headed in the right direction.
x2

15% BF isn't bad at all.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans and snatches
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality postsKnarf Dorsey has made some quality posts

Hey Capt - Agree with Soldier and Ramrod about your squat being so deficient in relation to your bench and especially your deadlift. Are your numbers correct?

How are you sure you're eating 2300kcal/day? Are you weighing and measuring your food? If not, you may find that you have been underestimating your caloric intake. Also, you may not be working out as hard as you think you are. Doing any cardio?

If you have everything dialed in (workout, calories, etc.) then I would continue to incrementally cut calories until I start noticing a weight loss. I, too, am currently going through a cut and know that plateaus can be frustrating. But, keep at and tweak things as necessary.

One more thing - how are you measuring your body fat? I don't know but if you're 5'8" and weigh 185 at 15% bf you must be looking pretty jacked. Lord knows, I would kill to be at 15% body fat!!

It's not the weight you use, but how you use the weight.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

I agree with the comments.... cut 200-300 calories and get that squat to 315 and in 2 months you'll add muscle and drop a couple points of BF.

"Do not change shit up during a training cycle." -Sandbox

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 960 - 335/250/375
jdmalm123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Biggraygrizzly
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beastBiggraygrizzly is a lifting beast

Do you know the amount of carbs you are taking in?
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
CaptFalco1214

Wow guys thank you for all the responses, it's really appreciated! For some reason I can't multi-quote. My weakness has definitely been my legs and by doing the upper/lower split my numbers have steadily increased. Those numbers are for 5 rep max, so my squat 1rm is about 285, still not much better i know! It's tough to give it 100% knowing that I have to work an hour later, but no excuses I need to get in gear. I had a trainer at my gym test my bf with calipers so I figure it's a decent estimate, I can see my top 4 abs well so I think it's about right, maybe 13%. My goal is to get to 9-10% by August, so I have started to cut calories today at 2100 and I have ordered a scale to get a more accurate measure of my food intake.

I am using the app "Lose It!" to count calories, and it also breaks down fats/protein/carbs so I get about 180g/carbs a day and about 200g of protein. My day-to-day diet is a version of the warrior diet/IF, so I eat about 30% of calories through the day and have a good sized dinner at night around 9pm. As for cardio, honestly I only do a 1.5 mile run once a week as I'm training for a CBP fitness test, and I would be worried to cut calories AND increase cardio and drop weight too quickly, but it's probably best to have a good balance of weights and cardio. Is it possible to steadily increase my squat to 315 while eating@2100 cals? In college my max was 325 but that was easy because life was only going to school and hitting the gym with my buddies. Thanks again guys
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn

So you train in the morning but have most of your calories at night? That's a no-go. If you're going to do IF you need to put all your carbs right around training and go all protein for the rest of the day.

Also, the point is not how much you squat, but rather that you need to put your focus on your lower body. I'm training one football player who's actually lost pounds on his bench, but he's added much more on his squat. When he first came in he struggled to hit depth with anything. A couple weeks later he could squat cleanly, but only with 185, then last week after a couple months of good training he was up around 300+. Meanwhile, his bench has dropped from 285 to 275. You better believe he has way more muscle, and he's far more athletic as well.