Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Single arm back training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1851)

HITman_mark71 01-29-2010 08:31 AM

Single arm back training

I like doing single arm back exercises like dumbell rows and one arm t-bar rows but it ends up causing my back workout to take forever. Anyone else avoid these exercises because of this reason?

glwanabe 01-29-2010 09:47 AM

I avoid single arm dumbell rows, because I just don't feel my back being worked like I do with BB rows. I'd rather do shoulder width chins as opposed to dumbell rows.

I don't like dumbells for a lot of movements that others love them for. I do like dumbells for delts, and Bi's. Thats just me, YMMV.

RickB 01-29-2010 09:49 AM

I agree with GL, I like feeling the contraction in my back especially on seated cable rows that a 1 arm DB row just won't produce. I imagine, I'm trying to break an egg placed in the center of my uppper back when doing cable rows. Makes for a nice upper back pump.

glwanabe 01-29-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 22985)
I agree with GL, I like feeling the contraction in my back especially on seated cable rows that a 1 arm DB row just won't produce. I imagine, I'm trying to break an egg placed in the center of my uppper back when doing cable rows. Makes for a nice upper back pump.

Thats exactly how I approach cable rows when I have used a cable in the past. I still strive for that center back contraction on BB rows as well.

Pulling my shoulder blades together at the top on BB rows is what sometimes limits how much weight, due to form issues I'll use. Other times I just try to move as much weight as possible and let my form get a bit loose.

There's a lot of links in the chain to doing Good BB rows. Keeping all those links at the same strength is hard.

RickB 01-29-2010 10:53 AM

GL, sounds like you are doing the BB rows with good form. I see way too many guys trying to do big weight and sort of jumping their body up for fast "no good" reps. I do BB rows on a smith, but I favor low cable rows simply for the fact that it's harder to cheat on.

glwanabe 01-29-2010 10:59 AM

I always strive for as good as form as possible. I want to hit the muscle group I'm working.

I actually like a lot of cable moves. In fact I like more cable work, than DB work. Low pulley rows for lats has always been one of my favorites. I've rarely actually had a low pulley machine to use. For a long time I used a universal machine and improvised.

I used the low pulley off of that and put the lat bar on it. then used a block of wood as a spacer, and foot rest. This moved me back far enough to get a good stretch, and rowed. Worked great.

swoleramon 01-29-2010 12:37 PM

I don't have strong grip so I do DB rows first, then I do seated cables and lat pulldowns. Our gym doesn't have any chalk either. I've never been able to master bbrows though.

Grim83 01-29-2010 12:53 PM

I like Dumbbell rows but have a hard time with the weight, my old 25ib bumper plates are too big, so by the time i had the 15's and 10's on i was out of space, but now i'm going to try them again since i have a better set up

HITman_mark71 01-29-2010 01:13 PM

I differ. I actually find that I get a better contraction with single arm rows. Big plates really make them difficult Grim83. Been there done that.

brad1224 01-29-2010 01:24 PM

no joke u guys, start out with wide grip chins. Great.

i usually mix it up a few two arms lifts, like BB Row, then ill do like one arm hammer row with slow strict form.