Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default Dave Draper Says .......

Thought I would repostt this - Drave Draper recently posted it on his FB page:

Big Arms Over the Years. ( By Dave Draper)

November 5, 2014 at 4:20pm

Someone recently asked me if I supersetted regularly in my early years of training. As I recall I only applied the classic East Coast approach to building muscle and might, a style one may very well call “onslaught Training.”

You position yourself roughly before a barbell and with little warning, you pounce on it and beat it to the ground. Breathing heavily, crouching and circling, you grab the dumbbells in a power lock, twist, pummel and as before slam them down without mercy. Always on the move, sweating and cursing, you hold your rusty pig-iron opponent at arm’s length before performing an excruciating overhead press, a crushing barbell drop-set and, finally, the backbreaking deadlift.

No whimpering, no reason, no questions, no excuses, no witnesses. All that stuff came years later.

I moved to California in ’63 and refined my moves, put order in my workouts and began to use primarily superset techniques. I got a handle on protein, fats and carbs, and bore the yoke like an ox on the threshing floor, season after season. For three years the bulk of my training was hard and heavy and my bodyweight hovered like a blimp at 245 pounds, a significant mound at the time.

My workouts went three hours from 6 to 9 AM, six days a week times fifty-two a year with the following split:

Chest, shoulders and arms - Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Back and legs - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

15 to 20 sets per bodypart @ 3 to 4 exercises x 5sets each

A popular 10,8,6,4,4 (+/-) rep scheme was used most frequently on major moves with the 6- to 8-rep standard managing secondary movements and change-of-pace days.

Crunches and leg raises and hyperextensions were done first thing every morning for torso strength and warm-up. No aerobics (what’s that?). I always worked forearms, and tried for PRs in various moves every third week to apply the muscle to the max.

Through the years I’ve tried every technique and muscle group combination, various splits, high reps and low. Always, I went back to beefy workouts with last rep intensity, providing form is B+ and joints and muscle connections aren’t severely compromised. On occasion, of course, one must pay the executioner. I was constantly moving set to set, actively recuperating and psyching or arranging equipment for the next combination.

Though I’m driven, I don’t rush. I like time to immerse myself in my workout... I average 70 MPH in the 65. When I’m done, I’m done.

The exercise choices haven’t changed over the years (I just train later in the day, do less work and oh-so-much lighter, and only twice a week). Here’s the arm routine from those long years ago, and most of the years since.

Standing barbell curl, 5 sets x 10, 8, 6, 6, 4 +/- reps

Superset with

Overhead triceps extension, 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Seated dumbbell alternate curl, 5 x 6 - 8 reps

Superset with

Lying triceps extension, 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Barbell wrist curl, 5 x 15+/- reps

Tri-set with

Bent bar reverse curl, 5 x 6 - 8 reps

and

Pulley pushdown, rope always, 5 x 12 - 15 reps

How basic can you get? You can easily cut this routine down to four sets per exercise without feeling guilty. That sort of removes the horns but leaves the hooves, as Texas Dave always sez.

Though you’re working bis and tris, a full body of muscle groups is coming into play as a system. There’s no better big, full biceps builder than the standing barbell curl when done with heavy output and complete range of motion. Note the work being done as the weight becomes heavy and an effective, non-cheating body thrust is applied to accommodate continued intense-rep performance: from the feet through the thighs to the trunk and back and traps... clenching, pulling, stabilizing and balancing. Combined with the overhead triceps extension, you are further involving the back, shoulders and torso. Functioning toughness.

Alternate curls, with their back-and-forth movement, develop oblique and mid-section power and muscularity. Superset number two provides another greater-than-arms-only-task upon which the entire system will grow.

And, forearms are not forearms only. Strengthen your grip and you hold the world in your hands.

Brother Dave

Last edited by SCStrong; 01-13-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Giving credit, where credit was due
SCStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Belphegor
Brawn

Belphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributorBelphegor is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post

ďonslaught Training.Ē

You position yourself roughly before a barbell and with little warning, you pounce on it and beat it to the ground. Breathing heavily, crouching and circling, you grab the dumbbells in a power lock, twist, pummel and as before slam them down without mercy. Always on the move, sweating and cursing, you hold your rusty pig-iron opponent at armís length before performing an excruciating overhead press, a crushing barbell drop-set and, finally, the backbreaking deadlift.

Brother Dave
Intense!! lols I would like to see this "super set onslaught" performed and posted on youtube.
Belphegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
miked96
Max Brawn

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Thanks for posting that. I remeber reading this article in M&F about Dave when I was a kid and its always been motivating

http://www.davedraper.com/mag-draper-dungeon.html
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Wow, killing it! Looks like he pushed everything to the max. Bodybuilders are crazy.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

aging well!

70 years young in pics

Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Another from Dave's FB page - check it out

Learn From My Mistakes.

December 10, 2014 at 1:18pm ( By Dave Draper )

A dozen years ago I did an interesting interview on a site thatís since gone dark. People liked the interview, and since itís been an uneventful week with nothing outstanding to write about, letís have a re-do.

1. What do you feel is the single greatest trait that led to your success in bodybuilding, and why?

Nothing I possessed in the way of structure or body chemistry was outstanding. A six-foot frame with a large bone structure is certainly an advantage for which Iím thankful, but they didnít separate me from the crowd. Further, I didnít have a burning ambition or dream to become a champion, a nuclear scientist or the President. I did in the early years have a simplistic approach on all projects undertakenÖ still do. What do I want? Is it sensible and worthwhile, and how do I -- with common sense -- accomplish it? Once the questions are answered (guesses count), do it. Here you have a goal, focus and commitment.

Itís during the simple process of achieving that one develops those grand habits and character qualities more valuable than blue chips or chocolate chips. Determination is one competent ally in gaining anything we have positioned before us. And determination spawns discipline, the thick leather reins that prompt and lead the untamable animal. The sum of determination and discipline is perseverance, the impenetrable armor of warriors.

Keep your eye on that worthy goal; choose the logical (simple, most basic) way to go, and go. Go hard. Itís a struggle, yet without intensity, Iíve discovered I donít go far. Make room in your heart and mind to gather and store the determination, discipline and perseverance found in thick clumps along the way.

Patience follows like a tired old mare; get used to her.

2. When training with weights, beginners often struggle to find the exercises and techniques that work best for their body types. What exercises and routines seemed to work best for you when you were starting out? And what exercises did you try to avoid?

When I was starting out, I was very young and made up some dumb rules as I went along. Once I got my hands on some battered wall charts demonstrating the variety of exercises one could do, I chose the simplest (coincidentally like my own favorite inventions) and continued to train, grow in understanding and gain in muscle development. I was 12, what else could I do? What more could I expect?

The biggies that kept me going, growing and interested were standing barbell curls, wrist curls, lying and standing triceps extensions or presses, bench presses, bentover barbell rows and stiffarm pullovers. I, like most kids, ignored the legs, as if they were miles away, below the beltline and out of sight.

Note: When I refer to barbell, I speak of a 16-inch bar with my limited selection of weights in the center and my tightfisted mitts squeezing what little was left of the barís short ends. The volume varied from 1 to 20 sets and reps, as I intuitively sorted things out and eventually added to my equipment list. Any routine worked as long as I stuck to it with regularity for 30 minutes. The idea of technique is not applicable to whatever it was I did during those grimacing, premature workouts. Wrestling, free-for-all and slugfest more appropriately describe the action taking placeÖ a brawl or a battle-royale.

What I tried to avoid was dropping that congested bar on my head. Though I had no supervision early on, I was reasonably safe because I didnít have very much poundage. The meanest wrong one can do when new to weight training is to use too much iron with too little know-how and too little physical conditioning.

Common disaster: ďThis is fun. I wonder how much weight can I bench press?Ē

Tendons and muscle insertions that are unprepared for heavy resistance might tear or otherwise be damaged when subject to exuberant and heavy lifting: painful, frightening, disappointing and perhaps chronic.

Later, though, as I stepped into the VMCA and Vic Tannyís of the late í50s, I zipped forward to dumbbells of assorted sizes, benches, racks and cables. Supersetting with the basic movements became my thing then, and is to this day. Added to the list of original exercises I practiced as a kid are squats and deadlifts and shrugs and pulldowns and dumbbell pressesÖ nothing fancy, just solid.

3. Many people who begin weight training are looking to build mass in their arms and chest. Can you talk about the importance of symmetry to a physique?

Itís important to understand the necessity of seeking balance in developing muscle structure. The body works as a system, mutually supporting and interdependent, and performs more healthfully and efficiently when developed as a functioning whole. Muscles grow faster, overall conditioning is achieved and no part of the body lags behind in formation as a result of neglect.

Imbalance in strength and structural development can cause chronic pain and degrees of disability as the years go by. For example, a predominantly strong arm and chest development can lead to shoulder-rotation troubles; an abdominals muscle deficiency can lead to lower back troubles; weak hamstrings can present knee problems. Does one want pain and limitations?

Getting huge at all cost is not unheard of among budding bodybuilders of all ages. Why not? They are promised extraordinary gains in short periods of time, if they use this formulation or that stack while following a champís routine. Stop and think. Itís smart to consider from the onset the eventual appearance of the body -- body esthetics, beauty, balance and appeal -- when enthusiastically embracing the bodybuilding field. A lopsided body can be a problem to correct, reflects your thinking and follows you wherever you go.

Simultaneously, however, I believe anyone who begins to train with weights should do whatever he or she feels like doing for whatever purpose. You can usually get away with a few months of floundering and butting your head against the wall without knocking your brains out or building 19-inch arms on a 150-pound frame. Gives the would-be champ time and space to search, invent, express, improvise and make a bunch of instructive mistakes of his very own. Freedom before margins.

4. Are there any nutritional secrets that beginners need to know to develop a powerful, healthy physique?

There are no secrets. Train hard, eat right and be happy!

Nutrition counts -- big time. What you eat is what you get. Eat regularly to fuel and restore the muscles throughout the day, once every three to four hours is my habit. Up your intake of muscle-building protein (red meat, fish, poultry, dairy products, some nuts). Exclude or greatly minimize simple sugars in your menu. Eat lots of fresh vegetables and a fair share of fresh fruit (watch the sugar); get your fiber and eat whole-grain breads and grains that have not been overly processed.

Donít eat junk food, fast food and donít overeat. Without drowning yourself, drink jugs of water. Take a dose of essential fatty acids (EFAs) daily, and a protein powder to supplement meal planning if eating consistently is a problem -- or to help gain weight, or as a most important pre-workout and post-workout fortifier.

Simple, basic, honest. Takes devotion and habit building. It works, thatís all. It works.

Turns out this interview was a long one. Letís finish this next week.

dd
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Gotta love the Blond Bomber.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote