Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
Mistwraith
Brawn
Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey & Creatine
Mistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good posts
Default Can i get a little feedback on this program ?

I know there's a lot of "critique my program" threads on here, but heres one more My last attempt at making a program didnt really work out for me, so im taking it back to the basics (by focusing on getting stronger primarily).

Monday

* Barbell Bench Press 5x5
* Barbell Rows SS with Shrugs 5x5
* Chest Dips 5x5
* Pushups (to fatigue)

Tuesday

* Back Squat SS with Barbell Calf Raises 5x5
* Push Press 5x5
* Good Morning 5x5
* Deadlift 5x2

Thursday

* Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 5x5
* Barbell Row SS with Shrug SS 5x5
* Assisted Pullups (cant do a full one yet) 5x5
* Inverted Rows to fatigue

Friday

* Back Squat SS with Barbell Calf Raise 5x5
* Overhead Press 5x5
* Romanian Deadlift 5x5
* Deadlift 5x2

Also planning to do intermittent fasting on wednesdays and saturdays, but i havent decided on that yet as it might hold back progress.

I dunno... i think it looks OK, as it works upper and lower body twice each week, has less focus on shoulders to save them from being overworked (and only training the medial delt directly), and has a major focus on compound exercises, to get the most bang for my buck.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
Biggraygrizzly
Brawn
Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good posts

Looks good, didn't see exercises for arm, even though you will get indirect work with the exercises you have, I suggest you keep a journal to to see your progress and pay attention to exercises work and the one that don't.
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
Mistwraith
Brawn

Mistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good posts

Yea i know, thats one of the issues im debating... wether to include direct arm work, or not (and abs for that matter)... but having read a lot about training im currently under the impression that you dont really need direct arm / ab work, as the arms do a lot through other exercises and abs have to work hard constantly to keep the core tight on all the big compound lifts.

I do enjoy doing barbell curls and close grip benchpres though, so im not opposed to the idea... its just that my arms grew just fine last time i did a program like this (stronglifts), and im thinking better to not overdo it.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
Mistwraith
Brawn

I might not do the squats / calf raises like i wrote... thinking about it, squats are pretty damn intense so when im done with a set, all im really concerned about is putting the weight down. Supersetting anything with squats might be foolish.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
FlankNW
Brawn
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
I know there's a lot of "critique my program" threads on here, but heres one more My last attempt at making a program didnt really work out for me, so im taking it back to the basics (by focusing on getting stronger primarily).

Monday

* Barbell Bench Press 5x5
* Barbell Rows SS with Shrugs 5x5
* Chest Dips 5x5
* Pushups (to fatigue)

Tuesday

* Back Squat SS with Barbell Calf Raises 5x5
* Push Press 5x5
* Good Morning 5x5
* Deadlift 5x2

Thursday

* Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 5x5
* Barbell Row SS with Shrug SS 5x5
* Assisted Pullups (cant do a full one yet) 5x5
* Inverted Rows to fatigue

Friday

* Back Squat SS with Barbell Calf Raise 5x5
* Overhead Press 5x5
* Romanian Deadlift 5x5
* Deadlift 5x2

Also planning to do intermittent fasting on wednesdays and saturdays, but i havent decided on that yet as it might hold back progress.

I dunno... i think it looks OK, as it works upper and lower body twice each week, has less focus on shoulders to save them from being overworked (and only training the medial delt directly), and has a major focus on compound exercises, to get the most bang for my buck.
Personal preferences/recommendations-

I wouldn't SS anything with Squats as you noted.

I wouldn't SS Rows with shrugs - guess this depends on your strength base, but I can shrug a *shitload* more than I can row.

Personally don't like squats and deadlifts on the same day - If you're intent on squatting twice a week (which I think is good) - I'd change your DB incline presses on Thursday to Friday, swapped with military press (similar reps) and deadlift that day - the remainder of the assistance exercises you have there work quite well with deads (I do them on deadlift days). This leaves room for en extra exercise on Friday - could do another leg exercise or throw in some curls for the ladies on the weekend

I'd also swap Monday and Tuesday - gives your legs more time to recover before you're having a go at the deads.

How much of this is personal feel and what's 'good programming' I don't know, but it's just my opinion
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Mistwraith
Brawn

You might be right about the row / shrug thing. The goal is to become stronger at each movement so doing shrugs that exhausts my back before im finished with my rowing worksets is probably a bad idea... thanks for the input on that. I'll do shrugs on their own, or leave them out of the picture altogether. I'll ponder it for a while before deciding.

Regarding deadlift, i moulded the tuesday / friday workout on the stronglifts version (workout B) which has :

squat 5x5
overhead press 5x5
deadlift 1x5

I think deadlift is an exercise people shy away from in too large a degree, for fear of CNS burnout or whathaveyou. I think the SL version (1x5) is too little deadlifting, but when i did SL i had no problems doing that one set after 5x5 squats. It was grueling, but any exercise that can so throroughly recompose my body should feel like that.

So instead ive chosen to increase the number of work sets and reduce the reps, to ensure i get quality reps, and increase deadlift sessions to twice each week.

Personally i believe that the deadlift is the single best exercise anyone could do to change their physique. If i could only do one exercise for the rest of my life, deadlift would be it. Not squats.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
FlankNW
Brawn
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
You might be right about the row / shrug thing. The goal is to become stronger at each movement so doing shrugs that exhausts my back before im finished with my rowing worksets is probably a bad idea... thanks for the input on that. I'll do shrugs on their own, or leave them out of the picture altogether. I'll ponder it for a while before deciding.

Regarding deadlift, i moulded the tuesday / friday workout on the stronglifts version (workout B) which has :

squat 5x5
overhead press 5x5
deadlift 1x5

I think deadlift is an exercise people shy away from in too large a degree, for fear of CNS burnout or whathaveyou. I think the SL version (1x5) is too little deadlifting, but when i did SL i had no problems doing that one set after 5x5 squats. It was grueling, but any exercise that can so throroughly recompose my body should feel like that.

So instead ive chosen to increase the number of work sets and reduce the reps, to ensure i get quality reps, and increase deadlift sessions to twice each week.

Personally i believe that the deadlift is the single best exercise anyone could do to change their physique. If i could only do one exercise for the rest of my life, deadlift would be it. Not squats.
Fair enough - as you said, deadlifts are awesome but everyone is scared of them for some reason. (They're my favourite exercise as well).

It's your programme and training, so you know what works best for you, comment was just my thoughts/what works for me in the hope that it could help you
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
Mistwraith
Brawn

Yep thanks
Old 09-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
Biggraygrizzly
Brawn

Biggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankNW View Post
Personal preferences/recommendations-

I wouldn't SS anything with Squats as you noted.

I wouldn't SS Rows with shrugs - guess this depends on your strength base, but I can shrug a *shitload* more than I can row.

Personally don't like squats and deadlifts on the same day - If you're intent on squatting twice a week (which I think is good) - I'd change your DB incline presses on Thursday to Friday, swapped with military press (similar reps) and deadlift that day - the remainder of the assistance exercises you have there work quite well with deads (I do them on deadlift days). This leaves room for en extra exercise on Friday - could do another leg exercise or throw in some curls for the ladies on the weekend

I'd also swap Monday and Tuesday - gives your legs more time to recover before you're having a go at the deads.

How much of this is personal feel and what's 'good programming' I don't know, but it's just my opinion
I agree with that.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Biggraygrizzly
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankNW View Post
Fair enough - as you said, deadlifts are awesome but everyone is scared of them for some reason. (They're my favourite exercise as well).

It's your programme and training, so you know what works best for you, comment was just my thoughts/what works for me in the hope that it could help you

Or dead lift every other week to save your back