Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributor
Default What's your most awkward spotting story?

If you work out long enough, eventually someone will ask you for a spot. The first few times this happened to me, I didn't know what the hell I was doing and it made for some awkward moments.

Let's hear about some awkward spots you either observed or took part in.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I saw a kid hold hands with his spotter between each set.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Mostly just dripping sweat into people's eyes on the bench. I'll wipe my head off as much as possible, yet I still seem to always end up with a couple beads that get away from me.

Truth be told, no one ever asks me anymore. I train with a lot of intensity and the weights are usually a bit intimidating to people, so they leave me alone. It's the best part about getting stronger, lol.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
JTM811
Brawn
Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

Well, not so much awkward since I didn't get caught. In HS I was working out in our gym and the wrestling room(where our chin-up bar was). Anyhow there was a girl who was lifting after school in there also and we kind of flirted around a bit for a few months.

Anyhow I was doing chins and she decided she wanted to do them too. Well to say the least she wasn't very strong, and being the nice guy I am, I gave her some assistance. Well when she got done, she stayed in my arms and we ended up getting a pretty good make-out session in before anyone came back to the weight room lol.

She and I would eventually graduate to some more intense um workouts together over the course of a few years.

Disclaimer, in no way would I have done this if I didn't already know she was interested in me in a big way and was coming onto me. Would never want to be accused of being the creeper, cop-a-feeler in the gym lol!
JTM811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

First time I ever spotted someone squatting I had no idea what I was doing. He got stuck in the hole and I didn't squat with him so I was standing above him trying to pull the bar up, knocked him off balance, he decided to dump it which was loud as hell and anyone who wasn't already staring at the worst spotter in the gym turned and looked at us like, "what the hell are those guys doing".
He was cool about it though and gave me a quick lesson on spotting a squat.

Also just like soldier - sweating on dudes benching. I sweat very easily so even if I'm just warming up I'm already dripping. I try to dry off my face and head as much as possible but a drop still falls from somewhere, usually ending their set prematurely and then they never ask me again.
Deadlift 405
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
melvin2345
Brawn
Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

100m Running Champion! 3 Reel Flash Slots Champion! Addiction Solitaire Champion! Batman's Gotham dark night Champion! BookBall Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Lines And Squares Champion! Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Simon Champion! Sky Wire Champion! Snotput Champion! Squares 2 Champion! Squares 2 Champion! Yeti Sports 5 - Flamingo Drive Champion! Yeti Sports 6 Big Wave Champion! Yeti Sports 7 - Snowboard Freeride Champion! Guess 5 Champion! Bowling Master Champion! Bend it like Beckham Champion! 42 Games Champion! Floats Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Craps Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! 3D Field Goal - Rookie Champion! Bozzle Champion! Railway Line Champion! Midi Golf Champion! 3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! Collapse XXL Champion! Mahjongg 3D Win XP Tiles Champion! Adrians Battle Bots Champion! Downhill Champion! Lego Snowboard Champion! Cat Fling Champion! Red Wire Champion! MahJong Champion! Paper Airplane Game Champion! Ping Pong Champion! Make a Splash Champion! Celebrity Pie Throw Champion! BullRiding Explosive Champion! Mega Jackpot Bingo Champion! MahJong Champion! Lego Basketball Champion! Summer Games 2005 Helsinki Champion! Basketball Rally Champion! Slingo Para-Dice Champion! Injury Time Champion! Pitching Machine Champion! Corp Fishing Champion! Horse Champion! Mastermind Champion! Herculympics Champion! Cat Batting Champion! Shut the Box Champion! Rocky - Legends Champion! Rock Star Hotel jump Champion! Cribbage Master Champion! Dangle Champion!
Training Exp: 20 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Bacon
melvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good posts

A guy wanted to do dumbbell pullovers, and decided he had to use the 140lb dumbbell. Cool. Saturday morning there aren't many people so he asks me to spot/assist him in getting started. I pick it up off the floor, and wait for him to get his hands on it. Once he does, I confirm he has it and let go. It dipped a bit lower, but he seemed to have control. He started the exercise, but when he pulled forward with the lats, his triceps couldn't quite get the dumbbell high enough and he proceeded to smack the lower part of the dumbbell right into the top of his head. He blurted, "Dammit!" and simply let go of the dumbbell. I was standing there ready to assist him if he was struggling, but I had no intentions of catching a free falling 140lb dumbbell. It hit with a thud, and the few pairs of eyes that were in the gym looked right over at us. Good times.

LAST MEET: 8/2/2014 - 1300 @ 277 (501s/286b/513d)
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=497065

Current Log - http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17085
melvin2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM811 View Post
Well, not so much awkward since I didn't get caught. In HS I was working out in our gym and the wrestling room(where our chin-up bar was). Anyhow there was a girl who was lifting after school in there also and we kind of flirted around a bit for a few months.

Anyhow I was doing chins and she decided she wanted to do them too. Well to say the least she wasn't very strong, and being the nice guy I am, I gave her some assistance. Well when she got done, she stayed in my arms and we ended up getting a pretty good make-out session in before anyone came back to the weight room lol.

She and I would eventually graduate to some more intense um workouts together over the course of a few years.

Disclaimer, in no way would I have done this if I didn't already know she was interested in me in a big way and was coming onto me. Would never want to be accused of being the creeper, cop-a-feeler in the gym lol!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Dude comes over to me and asks for a spot...I said sure and proceed to follow him.....to the hammer strength vertical bench. I said "are you kidding?" and walked away
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
andycfd
Personal Trainer
New Brawn
Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 19
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell presses
Fav Supp: Beer
andycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good postsandycfd has made some good posts

True Story: I was an up and coming meathead many years ago at the local gym in Nashville, TN and there was a big friendly dude who seemed to always be there when I was. We became friends and lifting partners shortly thereafter. He was huge into bench pressing and I followed along for the ride so to speak. He believed in doing 3 sets of 8 of as much weight as you could handle. He used 315 and I worked my way up to 225. On the day I was attempting my final few reps with 225, he was leaning over the bar with his hands on it to assist if need be. I was gasping for air and giving it all I had when all of a sudden a drop of sweat rolled from his forehead into my mouth. I knew immediately what it was and gagged, dry heaved, etc. The weight became the least of my troubles and I pushed it back up in a hurry and scurried to the bathroom to rinse out my mouth and try not to throw up. It's funny to me now, but damn gross at the time.
andycfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Dude comes over to me and asks for a spot...I said sure and proceed to follow him.....to the hammer strength vertical bench. I said "are you kidding?" and walked away
Trainers in my gym "spot" each other on the hammer strength machines all the time. They basically overload it with plates and then the other guy helps pull them up, it's sort of like doing forced negatives but more like one guy pressing while the other guy curls the same weight.