Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default Need a program for my daughter - has spinal scoliosis

Ok guys and gals - My youngest daughter is 17 and has expressed real interest in beginning to weight train.... I am so proud BUT

Two and a half years ago she had titanium rods inserted into her spinal column to treat advanced stage scoliosis ( crooked spine), Good news - the treatment was a success !! Praise the Lord!!

I need help putting together a program that does not include back squats, deads, or OHP's but that will still allow her to increase strength and learn to love the lifting lifestyle. We talked to the docs and they say she can do ALMOST everything she did before the surgery - but to avoid the " big four lifts" and do not go " too heavy".

I am thinking body weight exercises, goblets, show muscle exercise, etc but I am terrible at programming and could really use some advice.

Thanks All !!

Last edited by SCStrong; 08-21-2014 at 08:41 PM.
SCStrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
SCStrong
Max Brawn

SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quite on the MAB front?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Not a real answer to your question, but here goes.
I know some outstanding female lifters with the same diagnosis. Steel rods and all. You may consider getting a second opinion about staying away from squats and deads.

Whatever she does, I'm sure she'll do well. Just hitting the gym will be good for her both physically and mentally. And your undivided attention will be priceless to her.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Good news - the treatment was a success !! Praise the Lord!!

Thanks All !!
Amen to that!

I'm no trainer but what about something simple like fullbody or upper lower split? She could use machines and keep the weights lite. You could trade out squats for leg extensions & leg curls. If she used machines, she could do everything sitting down and not worry about her spine but still build up her strength.

Last edited by CaseyB1987; 08-22-2014 at 10:00 AM.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

I agree with Bev, do a little bit more research about the limitations the doctor imposed. I too work with some strong females who had the same operation (successfully) and still train.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Thanks for all the replies - I think will do some more research but for now I am looking for a basic starter program that does not include the big four.... I though maybe, you guys would have some old copy and paste stuff...... no worries- I will map out a few.
Thanks again!! Peace.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Great to hear it went well.

Yes I'd certainly agree to get a second opinion there.
A ‘doctor‘ I went to see once told me I was too young to be lifting weights at all at 17.

Not to say all doctors are totally incapable of giving lifting advice, but some really don't know what they're talking about.
That's not to say this is the case with yours, but I guess it's something to be aware of.

As far as programs that don't include the big four, I think a good place to start would be the buff dudes bodyweight program on YouTube. I'll send you a link, on my tablet at the moment so I can't (or am incapable of doing so! )
From there you could modifie it to include some goblet squats etc; like you sugested.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
andycfd
Personal Trainer
New Brawn
Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 19
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell presses
Fav Supp: Beer
andycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good posts

I have worked with clients affected by scoliosis in the past to great success. Your idea of a routine incorporating body weight exercises is a good one, but you'll need to start with some corrective flexibility. She's very likely to have tight hamstrings, glutes, TFLs, etc. These must be stretched and or worked on depending upon the severity of the tightness. Once you get a start on that. I'd immediately get some gentle core work done. Most all patients with scoliosis have underdeveloped core muscles as engagement can often be problematic. start gently and build is the rule of thumb. You'll be surprised how quickly things progress. Once the hip complex is loose and some core strength has been established, try some half range working to full range body weight squats. Lunges will be good too, but please get he hips loose beforehand or you'll be exacerbating her imbalances and not doing her back any favors. Start gently and methodically and work up from there.
andycfd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn

50000000000 replies ...... not one work out in the buch ha ha ha

just kidding - thanks for all the input
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
50000000000 replies ...... not one work out in the buch ha ha ha

just kidding - thanks for all the input
we suck and we know it....lol

I hope you find some kind of routine that works for her, I think lifting weights would really help strengthen her body and her spirit. I cant imagine what she's had to go through. Good luck