Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Many would call 3x10 "high rep" and would call 10x3 "low rep" but they are both 30 rep programs.

I think the low rep/high rep confusion comes from a misunderstanding of the "total work done" concept. Keep progressing on a "total work done" scale and you'll make gains, no matter how many reps per set you use.

The reason why some "high reppers" see gains is they do more total work than the "low reppers" who have an almost too minimal program and progress too slowly.

Likewise ,the reason why some "low reppers" see gains is they do more total work than the "high reppers" who may do high rep sets, but quit before they really push themselves. In the end, some "low reppers" are doing more reps than the "high reppers" because they do more sets, and/or more workouts, per week!
This was a great post here, everyone should read this twice to realize that it is not always the rep scheme but how much work is done and how hard you push yourself to progress.

I have done a powerlifting routine for about 6 months now with sets in the 1-5 range and have still seen an increase in size.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
This was a great post here, everyone should read this twice to realize that it is not always the rep scheme but how much work is done and how hard you push yourself to progress.

I have done a powerlifting routine for about 6 months now with sets in the 1-5 range and have still seen an increase in size.
Yes you have!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #23
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes you have!
Thanks BTB!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #24
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

to be completely honest i never saw the size and strength gains i see now that i have incorporated low rep compound movements into my everyday routines. i was always ripped but i was a hard gainer and i would do high reps till i was cryin with no results in size and strength would plateau easily. i will never go back to that.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
to be completely honest i never saw the size and strength gains i see now that i have incorporated low rep compound movements into my everyday routines. i was always ripped but i was a hard gainer and i would do high reps till i was cryin with no results in size and strength would plateau easily. i will never go back to that.
I just watched a video of a natty acquaintance of mine, Vic Costa. He does primarily isolation exercises, with slow, controlled movements - and the guy looks freaking amazing.

I, for the life of me, can't understand how he gained on that program. I'm not putting down his training style, but there is no way I could gain using it. I wonder he he trained like that when he was young.

YouTube - vicsnatural's Channel

Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Dude looks pretty good overall. I'll need to watch more of his stuff to get a better idea of his approach.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Dude looks pretty good overall. I'll need to watch more of his stuff to get a better idea of his approach.
I watched his entire DVD. I think the only barbell exercise I saw him do was the bench press.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

I will say this, "Strength training doesn't build muscle," as well as bodybuilding training will, in the sense of visual muscle size. As far as fast twitch fibers are concerned, Strength training will build them at an increased rate, hands down.

If you consider muscle just the visible layer of flesh and meat on the bone, then this statement could be believed as true, but if you strive for creating thousands of little fast twitch fibers withing "swole" and "yoked" muscles then strength training can't be beat.

It really just goes by whose side you take on in the on going war between "show muscles" and "Strength muscles".

What I will also say too, is typical strength training is 1-3 reps, but if you go from 5-7 which you can still get stronger using, you can make some size gains. Sometimes you need to change your routine and rep scheme to shock the muscle. Point is muscles without "performance enhancers" will eventually reach there peak size and limit, but those those inner fibers with in will keep on chugging along. Point blank, strength training will build high quality muscle and in time make your bigger, but its priority is strength, why anyone would want to look very strong but be really weak is beyond me tho.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #29
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
What I will also say too, is typical strength training is 1-3 reps, but if you go from 5-7 which you can still get stronger using, you can make some size gains.
I think people should quit worrying about the reps per set, and pay more attention to total volume. I had a guy message me the other day over at bb.com wanting to know if it would be better to change to 3x8 on my beginner routine, i told him flat out all it will do is be a few extra reps with a lower percentage of his 1rm, nothing magical would happen though. People get so caught up in how many reps they are doing, but there is nothing magical about 5reps versus 10, you should be worrying about your total volume in relation to the intensity (I define intensity as % of 1rm not a perceived amount of effort).
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
I think people should quit worrying about the reps per set, and pay more attention to total volume. I had a guy message me the other day over at bb.com wanting to know if it would be better to change to 3x8 on my beginner routine, i told him flat out all it will do is be a few extra reps with a lower percentage of his 1rm, nothing magical would happen though. People get so caught up in how many reps they are doing, but there is nothing magical about 5reps versus 10, you should be worrying about your total volume in relation to the intensity (I define intensity as % of 1rm not a perceived amount of effort).
I am going to agree with this ^^^.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote