Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Muscle pre-activation

What's your view on this technique? That is, activating specific muscles before doing whatever big lift might be next up, so that they "fire" or "brace" or something else, as you would want them to. More so, anyway.

I don't mean pre-fatiguing muscles. Just "getting them going". Anyone here do that? What lifts for, and how so? If you don't, does it strike you as a reasonable thing to do nonetheless? And any other thoughts on it are welcome, of course.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Warm up? Probably not what youre looking for. I go through the motions for squats and deads, then just with the bar.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Me, No I just do warm ups, however I hear some people do pull ups between sets of bench press to make the benching easier.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I understand what you are asking. On top of my normal warm-up routine, I always like to activate my central nervous system with an explosive movement or something dynamic.

Here are a couple examples:

1. Squats - seated box jumps, box jumps, knee tuck jumps
2. Deadlift - seated box jumps, med ball overhead throws, broad jumps, hip hinge vertical jump
3. Bench Press - Med Ball chest throws, mb chest slams, bench plyo push ups
4. Overhead Press - various med ball throws

These are usually done after my warm-up. I find this helps wake me up just a bit more and get the movement I'm working on that day prepared.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

I think it can be a useful thing provided people don't go so far as the pre-fatigue thing. I use it most training days just with a mini-band. Getting glutes firing recently with squats after sitting around all day seems to have made a difference.

Squat: mini band doubled around the knees and do a few squats/sit in the bottom of squat/some hip abduction reps.

Bench: use a band around a pole one end in either hand and go from shoulders forward to shoulders back with external rotation, so basically the position you would be in on the bench.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I don't do any warm ups. I just aim for 5x5 with the given weight and keep going workout after workout until I get stronger and hit that 5x5.

With military press though, I like to do a couple of reps with the bar, (standard bar) just as you say to get the muscles fired up.
I feel it helps, mainly because OHP I find to be quite an awkward movement, and if I launch straight into it with full weight it doesn't work too well.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote