Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Call_Me_Ishmael
Brawn
Points: 625, Level: 12 Points: 625, Level: 12 Points: 625, Level: 12
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Overhead Press
Fav Supp: Bacon
Call_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributor
Default Full Body Workout: Three Times a Week? Or Every Other Day?

After a couple of years on splits, I just completed my first full month of full body training. I think I'm pretty adjusted to it now and will continue with it for at least another month or so.

I have a question: does a full body workout really need to be three days a week with four rest days?

Or can it simply be every other day?

In other words, would it be okay to workout Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and then hit it again Sunday?

Or should the goal be maximum recovery time?

Thanks.
Call_Me_Ishmael is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Try it and see.

Generally we find that in the early weeks you can work every day if you want. As the weight gets heavier, you need longer to recover, so we have a day in between. As the weight gets heavier still, you sometimes need the two days off to fully recover.

For example, this week I've done a workout Monday, Wednesday and now Saturday. The first two were at my work gym, the Sat one at home with just squat stands. I considered not increasing the weight and just doing a light one since without safeties dumping a low-bar squat can be messy. But then as I went through the warmups things felt easy so I did the planned weight, and short of something breaking, there was no way I was failing any of those reps, I was feeling strong.

Had I done it Friday instead it mightn't have been like that.

Remember there is not just the fatigue from today's workout to recover from, there's the accumulated fatigue from the series of workouts. That's why we get "two steps back, three steps forward" programmes and so on.

But in the end you have to just try it and see.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Call_Me_Ishmael
Brawn

Call_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributorCall_Me_Ishmael is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
Try it and see.

Generally we find that in the early weeks you can work every day if you want. As the weight gets heavier, you need longer to recover, so we have a day in between. As the weight gets heavier still, you sometimes need the two days off to fully recover.

For example, this week I've done a workout Monday, Wednesday and now Saturday. The first two were at my work gym, the Sat one at home with just squat stands. I considered not increasing the weight and just doing a light one since without safeties dumping a low-bar squat can be messy. But then as I went through the warmups things felt easy so I did the planned weight, and short of something breaking, there was no way I was failing any of those reps, I was feeling strong.

Had I done it Friday instead it mightn't have been like that.

Remember there is not just the fatigue from today's workout to recover from, there's the accumulated fatigue from the series of workouts. That's why we get "two steps back, three steps forward" programmes and so on.

But in the end you have to just try it and see.
Thanks for the feedback Kyle.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

If you're pretty much a beginner (?), I'd suggest just sticking with the routine as written.

What is the routine, anyway? Are you logging each session?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #5
twombles62
New Brawn
Points: 481, Level: 9 Points: 481, Level: 9 Points: 481, Level: 9
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
twombles62 has made some quality poststwombles62 has made some quality poststwombles62 has made some quality poststwombles62 has made some quality poststwombles62 has made some quality poststwombles62 has made some quality posts

Assuming you have a workout Sunday, you'd be waiting until Tuesday before the next workout?

My 3 day full body workout has Squats on Mondays, Deadlifts on Fridays. I couldn't see how I could do it any quicker than 3 times a week.
twombles62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twombles62 View Post
Assuming you have a workout Sunday, you'd be waiting until Tuesday before the next workout?
Yeah, presumably Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun-Tue-Thu-Sat <--- repeat.

So it would be 7 sessions per fortnight, instead of 6. Not the biggest deal ever, I guess. But like I said in the post above...
Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

I do fullbody and I agree with Dray, just stick to the Monday, Wednesday, Friday layout. I've tried to workout 2 days back-to-back and I regretted it. I was so sore that I had to take 3 days off to recover.

If your just bored on Sunday, I would find something to occupy your time with. Go hiking, play a sport with some friends, tinker with a computer, go fishing, etc...
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

like what has already been said try it and find out how your body deals with it, I have done full-body every day when weight is light but when I get into heavier weights I find every other day to much on a full-body even 2 days a week on a full-body is enough if your lifting hard and heavy. you could even do a full-body every 2-3 days, what does your routine look like ?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

After years of training I've found that one more day of recovery is more beneficial than one more day of training.
Sometimes less is more.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Call_Me_Ishmael
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
If you're pretty much a beginner (?), I'd suggest just sticking with the routine as written.

What is the routine, anyway? Are you logging each session?
Not a beginner, more of an intermediate who was on a split routine and needed a change. Plus I'm huge fan of all the old- school lifters like Reeves, Park, etc. and not a fan of many famous lifters after that era.

Thanks for the feeback folks.

Will rest until Monday.

Yes I'm logging each workout. I keep a workout journal if you care to check it out.

I'm finding pros and cons with the full body approach.

Working the entire body is something of a challenge, and I leave my workouts with a sense of accomplishment. Also, there is a sense that the body is in harmony that I don't get from a split.

The tough part will be achieving progressive overload. You have to keep adding weight to the bar in order to grow, which is a very tricky proposition when you're hitting each body part three days a week.

My plan is to perform different movements per body part in each session.

Last edited by Call_Me_Ishmael; 04-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.