Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributor
Default Straight arm vs. bent arm lateral raises...

What's up everyone.
I am curious what people's preferences are for doing lateral raises. I used to do them with straight arms but that has started to give me shoulder pain in my left shoulder on the eccentric portion of the lift. So today I started doing them with bent arms and I wondered what the MAB community would think of this.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
BravenFenix
The Big Boss
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

If I were doing them I would use a slight bend in the elbow since there is no real point in being locked out. Sometimes people bend a lot (90 degree or so) because they can use more weight, but that's pointless too.

Lifts: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...304#post443304
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #3
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Whenever I do lateral raises, I make sure i have a slight bend in the elbow and at the top of the motion my palms are face downward and pinkie is higher than thumb. I see a lot of people doing lateral raises with their palms facing forward which causes you to use your traps more and puts stress on your rotator cuff.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I keep a very slight bend in the elbow. Most people go way too heavy and use crappy form to accommodate the heavy weight they want to use so they don't look weak. I don't use may lateral raise to show off. I keep my arms almost straight and never use more than 30lb dumbbells at the most. I also find it works very well to bend over slightly and arch my back. The arch keeps me from flinging up the weight with momentum and bending over slightly helps keep the pressure in the right places and helps eliminate pain.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Slight bend here. My shoulders don't feel comfortable with arms locked.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I do my lateral raises seated with back support.

Hold DBs in your hands.

Shrug shoulders up then push them back and down and hold them against the back support.

Now, perform the lateral raise, palms down, thumbs slightly forward, a slight bend in the elbow.

This has worked wonders for me and I have never did more than 25#. In fact, I built my shoulder cap with 15# and 20# lateral raises after I messed up my shoulder.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
TKDwarrior
New Brawn
Points: 425, Level: 8 Points: 425, Level: 8 Points: 425, Level: 8
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

TKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Whenever I do lateral raises, I make sure i have a slight bend in the elbow and at the top of the motion my palms are face downward and pinkie is higher than thumb. I see a lot of people doing lateral raises with their palms facing forward which causes you to use your traps more and puts stress on your rotator cuff.
This is actually a good variation doing lateral raises with the palms forward and thumbs facing up . When I had some problems with my rotator cuff (slight tears in the subscapularis and teres minor) this method was actually recommended and really helped to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles. Also. it places less stress on the elbow joint, allowing you to keep the arms straight. Bent over laterals/rear delt raises with the thumbs facing up also is a great variation.
TKDwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributor

Thank for the input everyone. Super helpful information here.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Boom
Brawn
Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Boom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributor

The most helpful tip I've heard is to imagine you're pouring a pitcher of beer/water at the top of the movement. Keeps your pinkies higher than you thumbs.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I use a bent elbow with a " pinkies up " palm orientation..... I learned to do the movement this way.... read an article by Larry Scott, many years ago, that said this was the way to go and decided not to question a guy with awesome arms.....

I tried straight arm laterals and they hurt my shoulders.