Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Stall? Or just normal.

I've written threads of a similar nature on this topic before.

They were usually me just fretting about a bad day obsessively because of my OCD, or a bad lift,
a and something you made me realize was normally, that everyone has bad days and just to carry on, seen as it's the long haul that counts.

Taking that into account I tried to pass this off as the same thing, but I'm not sure if it is or isn't, so I need some advice.

With bench press in particular how many sets I can perform is very up and down.
For the last week and a bit after I returned to lifting for some time off, I put 80kg on the bar which is the weight I'm working up to a full 5x5 with, and found I could only do 2 sets with a weight I was previously one rep from getting the full 5x5 with.

This was ok, I was assured I was a little rusty and my strength would soon come back.

It did, and soon enough I managed to push through and hit a PR, moving onto 82.5kg, and starting again.

I worked my way up again right up to the 4th rep of the 5th set, and then just recently we went on a 2 week holiday which meant no weights because there wasn't a gym, so I was just doing body weight stuff.

I wasn't really worried about losing a little strength as I'd been assured previously.

Anyway I got back about 2 weeks ago, and started up again.
When I first did the 82.5kg bench press after my 2 weeks holiday off, I was down from 5th set 4th rep, to just 2 sets befoe I felt like I was going to fail.
Again, I worked my way up, a few days ago getting back to 5th set 4 reps.

The next workout I was gearing myself up to hit my full 5x5, and for some reason I could only complete 2 sets.
I thought maybe it was lack of food, I hadn't had breakfast yet since I decided to workout that day early in the morning, as opposed to late evening like normal.
I ate, and came back to it in the evening to see if I could do better, but I couldn't.

I let it rest for that day and then tried again tomorrow, but still the same.
Rested another 2 days, and still no luck.

So I don't really know what's happened.
I don't understand how I can go from nearly beating a PR, to back down to being able to only complete 2 sets, other than if it was a bad day, but then I tried several days again after that and it was still the same story. 2 sets.
Food may have been the issue, because it's been I suppose a little erratic over the last few days, but I expected after 3 attempts on 3 different days, the "bad day" that I'd put it down to would've rectified it's self.

I've learned not to really be worrying about things like this from what you've taught me, but obviously I'm just wondering what's up, could it be a bad week rather than a bad day? Maybe it was tiredness?

I don't know.
There are a few different reasons I can think about as to why it happened, I'm just not sure why after resting and attempting 3 different days why it hasn't gone back to normal.
I thought perhaps it could be a stall? Never had that so I'm not sure how to approach it if that's the case.

Another concern is food.
It's getting near to a week now of eating allot of food, and it having no where to go to because I'm not progressing.

I remember Steve telling my it takes about 2 weeks for a food surplus to switch into either fat gain mode, or muscle building mode, so I haven't hit that marker yet but it's getting close at 1 and a bit weeks.

It's not like I can cut back on the food though either because I'll need that to I guess recover any strength that I might have lost, so I don't really know what to do.

When every thing's planned around these workouts, food, cardio, ect; if it's not going right it's difficult for me to know what to do with it. How to judge it.

What do you think should be my next move?

I suspect to just carry on and that maybe it's a bad week, to keep the same food, and see if I regain my strength.
But just wanted to check, because I'm just worried about my food and what's happening with that if it continues after 2 weeks, seen as that 2 week mark switching process is in 4 or 5 days.
I thought perhaps this could be a stall, in which case might need different action to just an off week or day.

Any feed back as always will be much appreciated.

Thanks allot guys.

- Linden

PS: Hope everyone's doing well, haven't spoken to you all in a while since I was on holiday so I hope everyone's good!

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-29-2014 at 02:12 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Maybe you had too long of a break? I know my strength wouldn't return after just one day or a few hours. When I reset after a meet, it takes me months to build back up to peak strength.

Maybe you aren't really eating a caloric surplus?

Maybe you're not getting enough sleep?

Maybe your body has really adapted to 5x5 type linear progression and it needs a different stimulus?

If I were you, I would keep doing 82.5kg until I got the 5x5, then move up again. If everything else is right just be patient, it will come. Strength does fluctuate, it's not constant.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

There are 4 reasons that progress has stalled or plateaued.

1.Programming-Your program doesnt work
2.Nutrition-Your not eating enough to support the demands you are making on your body so it can grow.
3.Rest-Your not resting enough to recover. Lack of sleep, stress in your life,etc.
4.Effort-Your not putting in the effort required to progress. This could also be due to motivation.

If your not progressing analyze these four factors and you will usually find your answer. Any answer you get from your original post is going to fall under those 4 categories and
if your honest with yourself, only you can truly identify the problem .

PS-If its a couple of bad workouts its usually not the programming but one of the other three. If your well rested, fed, and fired up to train and you cant progress for weeks then maybe look at number one.

Last edited by miked96; 03-29-2014 at 03:37 PM.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

This may sound over simplified, but maybe your just thinking too much.

One of my problems, especially with bench press, is that I'll think too much. And what I mean is, I would start adding up the weight in my head and obsess over it.

The voice in my head would say,

"thats 200 pounds",

"you never lifted that before",

"can you lift this?",

"what if I cant?",

and this would go on and on in my mind. As long as I thought that way I would struggle with each and every rep.

Then I ran across a video my Bill Kazmaier, his advice was "dont think about the weight, just lift..."

So that's what I tried and instead of becoming a nervous-wreck, I would say to myself,

"thats 200 pounds" "so what?" "lift it!"

And within a couple weeks I was up to 205.

Next time you go bench, don't be all up in your head. Just tell yourself "I will get one more", "this weight aint shit!".

Maybe thats not your problem but it helps me a lot. Just say "Hulk Smash!!!"

that may sound like some CT Fletcher stuff, but i feel like it has its place in training

Last edited by CaseyB1987; 03-29-2014 at 03:54 PM.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

First and foremost, you need to understand something; If you're training, but not necessarily progressing, that doesn't mean that your excess calories are going to become fat. Progression is the key, yes, BUT, the most important thing is that you are TRYING to progress. It won't always happen.

You may have noticed that More advanced lifters (or those who just fancy themselves advanced like myself) don't usually use linear progression. Part of the reason is that it simply isn't possible to add more weight or reps each week, and the stronger you get the harder it is. Why? Hell, there's no way to know. If you can make some lifestyle changes to make things better, than that's a good thing, but you won't always be able to figure out exactly what's wrong.

And trust me man, you're doing most things right. Give yourself some credit!

You may also notice that we tend to preach consistency. You're realizing that this isn't always possible, but life happens. You've already learned that your strength tends to come back quickly when you get back to it, but the more "breaks" you take, the longer it takes to come back.

By the way, if you stall on something and it's getting to you, try keeping your weights the same on all your other lifts and focus completely on the lift you're having trouble with. Put all your mental focus on that lift. You'd be amazed at what you can do when you really spend a lot of time thinking about it.

So yes, it's normal. If you were wondering.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Maybe you had too long of a break? I know my strength wouldn't return after just one day or a few hours. When I reset after a meet, it takes me months to build back up to peak strength.

Maybe you aren't really eating a caloric surplus?

Maybe you're not getting enough sleep?

Maybe your body has really adapted to 5x5 type linear progression and it needs a different stimulus?

If I were you, I would keep doing 82.5kg until I got the 5x5, then move up again. If everything else is right just be patient, it will come. Strength does fluctuate, it's not constant.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll do that.
I think you're right, I just have to stick with it, that's what Steve said too.
He said in most cases people who thought they stalled haven't in reality.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
There are 4 reasons that progress has stalled or plateaued.

1.Programming-Your program doesnt work
2.Nutrition-Your not eating enough to support the demands you are making on your body so it can grow.
3.Rest-Your not resting enough to recover. Lack of sleep, stress in your life,etc.
4.Effort-Your not putting in the effort required to progress. This could also be due to motivation.

If your not progressing analyze these four factors and you will usually find your answer. Any answer you get from your original post is going to fall under those 4 categories and
if your honest with yourself, only you can truly identify the problem .

PS-If its a couple of bad workouts its usually not the programming but one of the other three. If your well rested, fed, and fired up to train and you cant progress for weeks then maybe look at number one.

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Great post, thanks for posting the criteria, I'll know now to check this in future.
I should give it some more time like you say.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
This may sound over simplified, but maybe your just thinking too much.

One of my problems, especially with bench press, is that I'll think too much. And what I mean is, I would start adding up the weight in my head and obsess over it.

The voice in my head would say,

"thats 200 pounds",

"you never lifted that before",

"can you lift this?",

"what if I cant?",

and this would go on and on in my mind. As long as I thought that way I would struggle with each and every rep.

Then I ran across a video my Bill Kazmaier, his advice was "dont think about the weight, just lift..."

So that's what I tried and instead of becoming a nervous-wreck, I would say to myself,

"thats 200 pounds" "so what?" "lift it!"

And within a couple weeks I was up to 205.

Next time you go bench, don't be all up in your head. Just tell yourself "I will get one more", "this weight aint shit!".

Maybe thats not your problem but it helps me a lot. Just say "Hulk Smash!!!"

that may sound like some CT Fletcher stuff, but i feel like it has its place in training

Funny you should say that, I've actually wondered that for a while.

I think there's allot to be said for the psychology of lifting, and when I look at it i think the reasons you mentioned above could be a pretty big factor to this.

I'll definitely put it into practice, I need to have more of the warrior mentality like btb talks of I think haha.

Cheers again for the insight.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
First and foremost, you need to understand something; If you're training, but not necessarily progressing, that doesn't mean that your excess calories are going to become fat. Progression is the key, yes, BUT, the most important thing is that you are TRYING to progress. It won't always happen.

You may have noticed that More advanced lifters (or those who just fancy themselves advanced like myself) don't usually use linear progression. Part of the reason is that it simply isn't possible to add more weight or reps each week, and the stronger you get the harder it is. Why? Hell, there's no way to know. If you can make some lifestyle changes to make things better, than that's a good thing, but you won't always be able to figure out exactly what's wrong.

And trust me man, you're doing most things right. Give yourself some credit!

You may also notice that we tend to preach consistency. You're realizing that this isn't always possible, but life happens. You've already learned that your strength tends to come back quickly when you get back to it, but the more "breaks" you take, the longer it takes to come back.

By the way, if you stall on something and it's getting to you, try keeping your weights the same on all your other lifts and focus completely on the lift you're having trouble with. Put all your mental focus on that lift. You'd be amazed at what you can do when you really spend a lot of time thinking about it.

So yes, it's normal. If you were wondering.

Thanks for the advice man, great post.

I'm getting there, haha, with the learning that is.
It's piecing everything together in my mind I guess, and I'm very grateful to have you guys here to help me do that.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

more rst and more thorough warm ups.

and be sure the limitations in different workouts are not your shoulders telling you they are at their limit. not to give you something else to worry about, but I don;t think anyone mentioned pre-injury as a possibility. nothing wrong with hovering at a comfortable weight and adding reps for a bit.

see below for other ideas from Brooks Kubik..