Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wide Squat (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1666)

kman025 01-10-2010 09:16 PM

Wide Squat

I've been squatting very wide lately, like sumo style or something.

im not purposely doing this, i guess i just started it after seeing PL's do it, and subconciously started. since it feels comforatble i guess i stuck with it. The PLs of course are wearing suits and stuff and doing a lot of box squats.

im worried without a suit and the wide stance i will run into problems getting out of the hole. also ive heard of knee problems from this.

any opinions?

Shaolinkiwi 01-10-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 19207)

im not purposely doing this, i guess i just started it after seeing PL's do it, and subconciously started. since it feels comforatble i guess i stuck with it. The PLs of course are wearing suits and stuff and doing a lot of box squats.

im worried without a suit and the wide stance i will run into problems getting out of the hole. also ive heard of knee problems from this.

any opinions?

Knee problems are a concern on any heavy squats so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your 300+ on your squats. I got sore knees when doing madcows as I was regularly above 300.

As for getting out of the hole without a suit, again wouldn't concern yourself too much unless your squatting serious weight. Start light and build up slowly you shouldn't have too many issues.

However open to anyone who say's otherwise.:dunno2:

kman025 01-10-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi (Post 19208)
Knee problems are a concern on any heavy squats so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your 300+ on your squats. I got sore knees when doing madcows as I was regularly above 300.

As for getting out of the hole without a suit, again wouldn't concern yourself too much unless your squatting serious weight. Start light and build up slowly you shouldn't have too many issues.

However open to anyone who say's otherwise.:dunno2:

im not too high in weight yet. 260x5x3 currently (probably maxing 300 or close to it).

maybe i'll just need to work my hams and glutes extra hard

Shaolinkiwi 01-10-2010 10:09 PM

I guess with anything new - start light see how it feels. If you like it slowly build it up, if you don't like it can it.

kitarpyar 01-10-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 19207)

any opinions?

I use a wide stance (again, I am squatting light - the max I have done is 275 x 5 and 285 x 2). No problems thus far. I actually find it easier to get out of the hole with a wide stance.

BendtheBar 01-11-2010 07:40 AM

Wide stance is all proper foot position. Incorrect foot position can stress the knees. Wide stance is also harder on the hips. I'm not a fan of wide stance unless you're using gear. My opinion is train with a comfortable stance at all times.

Remember that Louie Simmons and the boys are suing gear and AAS, and are squatting 900+. They're playing an entirely different ball game. I would focus on mastering a comfortable stance first.

kman025 01-11-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 19225)
Wide stance is all proper foot position. Incorrect foot position can stress the knees. Wide stance is also harder on the hips. I'm not a fan of wide stance unless you're using gear. My opinion is train with a comfortable stance at all times.

Remember that Louie Simmons and the boys are suing gear and AAS, and are squatting 900+. They're playing an entirely different ball game. I would focus on mastering a comfortable stance first.

this is the thing, the wide stance acutally feels most comfortable.

i may just move it in if this is what you think i should do.

lefthookright 01-11-2010 05:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that the most peoples sticking point in the squat is coming out of the hole. So probably no matter how your squatting you'll have the most trouble with the hole. So I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

big valsalva 01-12-2010 12:16 AM

I keep my heels about shoulder width apart. That way I am able to sit back into the hole. Get Rippetoe's book and do the squat stretch (elbows between your knees and hands together) this is proper foot placement for the squat. Doing squats this way will strengthen the glutes and hams (as well as the quads). BTB is right about Louie and others though. They're suited and hepped up on gear. Still you should be able to build up a very respectable natural squat with a comfortably wide stance. Nothing too dramatic, just give your ever expanding ass enough room to get down between your heels.

BendtheBar 01-12-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 19294)
this is the thing, the wide stance acutally feels most comfortable.

i may just move it in if this is what you think i should do.

How wide are you squatting? Are your feet on the outside of the squat rack like this?

http://media.twango.com/m1/medium/01...e0a815b9a0.jpg

Train whatever feels most comfortable.