Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Squats and Milk Woes (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655)

BendtheBar 01-09-2010 09:25 AM

Squats and Milk Woes

As some of you may know, I wrote an article months back for Natural Muscle Mag called Squats and Milk, And Then Some. I basically put my simple twist on squats and milk. The workout looks like this:

Monday

* 20-Rep Squats
* Bench Press, 3 sets x 5 reps
* Barbell Rows or Yates Rows, 3 sets x 5 reps
* Seated Overhead DB or BB Press, 2 sets x 6-10 reps
* Romanian Deadlifts, 2 sets x 6-10 reps

Wednesday

* Deadlifts, 10 singles
* Closegrip Bench Press, 3 sets x 6-10 reps
* DB or BB Curls, 3 sets x 6-10 reps
* Ab Work, 2-3 sets

Friday

* 20-Rep Squats
* Dips, 3 sets x 6-10 reps
* Pull-ups (or negative pull-ups), 3 sets x 6-10 reps
* Upright Rows, 2 sets x 6-10 reps
* Standing or Seated Calf Raises, 2 sets x 10-25 reps

Exercises can be switched, of course. It's simply a template.

Anywho, long story short, I get a message from a young lifter:

Quote:

i just started on this..to tell you the truth, i didnt feel the effects as i expected to...on the squats, i started real light, though i felt the burn all over my body after around the 14th rep, i didnt feel that tired after i finished the squats...I thought il hardly be able to move after the squats and the deadlifts...is there something im doing wrong...
This is not the complete email. I replied and stressed that he keep adding 5 pounds on squats each workout. That would be 40 pounds per month, and 240 pounds in 6 months. I truly hope this youngster follows the program for at least 6 months. I'd like to see him go from..."This is to easy" to using my name as a curse word.

BendtheBar 01-09-2010 09:30 AM

I just received an update. He now says its 6 hours since his deadlift workout and his back is really sore. I don't know if he believes that means he should stop...hard to tell. He assures me his form is perfect. I wish he could post a video. I'm certain he has at least 2 major flaws.

glwanabe 01-09-2010 10:13 AM

Thats a solid looking template BTB. I'll be using that come March.

BendtheBar 01-09-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 18995)
Thats a solid looking template BTB. I'll be using that come March.

I tried to set it up with Wednesday being a somewhat light training day. Monday has more 5 rep sets, so it's a slightly heavier day, and Friday has a tad higher rep ranges, so it's more of a medium day. But I don't know that those rep range differences matter much. Both days are taxing in their own right.

nighttrain 01-09-2010 10:32 AM

looks like a good plan to me... im sure his form is NOT PERFECT!!

RickB 01-09-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 19001)
looks like a good plan to me... im sure his form is NOT PERFECT!!

:ditto: I'll bet you're right!

DarthPenguin 01-09-2010 06:13 PM

Program looks good :)

any way you can convince the guy to send you a private video of his form at all?

that would help, if not is hard for you to help him i'd imagine since it prob is the issue

BendtheBar 01-09-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPenguin (Post 19041)
Program looks good :)

any way you can convince the guy to send you a private video of his form at all?

that would help, if not is hard for you to help him i'd imagine since it prob is the issue

I'm trying to get vids. But I get the feeling he's just trying to talk himself out of the routine. Not being facetious, but most guys want abs and biceps work, and not squats and deads.

thumpinos 01-09-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 19061)
I'm trying to get vids. But I get the feeling he's just trying to talk himself out of the routine. Not being facetious, but most guys want abs and biceps work, and not squats and deads.

There needs to be a new category created for guys like this. Something like beach bodies & 6 packs. These guys just think they want muscle.

DarthPenguin 01-10-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 19061)

the sad thing is this is so true. abs, biceps and chest : could be labelled the unholy trinity lol

on a separate note facetious is an awesome word, one of only two with all 5 vowels in order though for the life of me i cant remember the other one lol (my geeky side coming out :p )