Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Help needed with over head press.

When I go up to a new weight on any lift, I go up by 2.5kg.

The smallest plates I have are 1.25kg, and so two of those on either end of the bar.

Over head press is, like I know is the case with allot of people, a damn hard lift to progress with for me.

I recently managed to hit my 5X5 on the given weight, and so needed to increase for next time.

Like I say this increase was by 2.5kg.

The problem is, that with this new weight, with the added 2.5kg, my form really isn't very good.
Of course, it will improve as I get stronger, which is what I want, but I was wondering if this was a very good way to go about it...

When your form isn't great, isn't that substantially loweing the effectivness of the lift?

Naturally with OHP, it's the leaning back slightly when your near the top to get it up and over.

I definatly felt it in my shoulders, but I'm not sure weather lifting with not very good form is the best idea..

Like I said it'll get better of course, but I don't know weather I'm cheating myself out of proper muscle fiber recruitment.

It's not like I can just drop the weight a little either, because the smallest I can drop it is what I was on before, which I can do with perfect form and with no problem.

So it's either no challenge at all, or too much so that my form isn't great.

I don't really want to be switching up rep ranges and so on, I'd rather just stick to 5x5,
so do you think I should carry on with new weight and wait until my form gets better?

I did actually do that with the last weight I was on, and it worked ok, form improved pretty quickly,
I just thought I'd ask to make sure that was alright.

I'm still performing the lift in a safe manner I'm not straining, The main thing of course is that I get stronger and maintain my safety which will be ok, I just want to make sure I'm actually activating the shoulder properly and not cheating myself out of gains,
OR if in fact this is a necessary process I have to break through to be able to complete my sets with good form on this weight after I've got a bit stronger.

Thanks

- Linden

EDIT: Some notes on the bad form I think I'm doing.

I don't have means of video conversion otherwise I'd just show you, but imagine doing the lift, and then towards the middle just bending back a little bit (not much) so you can get it over your head, I guess bringing my chest into it just a little bit, as opposed to being totally straight.

I was also bending my knees a small amount as I lifted the weight up.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 02-14-2014 at 06:37 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

For now, keep moving up. A little bit of bad form is alright as long as things don't get out of hand. As you progress, you need to get a feel for how much form you can give up to keep moving more weight. When the crappy form is doing more of the lifting than your muscles, it's time to drop back down a little in weight. You'll find that when you do all of a sudden you can use perfect form with weights that used to make you cheat.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I don't really want to be switching up rep ranges and so on, I'd rather just stick to 5x5
Oh well, there goes my best advice, haha. What I've found works a treat is increasing reps first, then increasing weight by the smallest amount you can.

Speaking of which, microloading can help. Maybe you could track down some itty bitty plates (or use something else like magnets, etc.) for this purpose. I know that it's been pretty handy for me.

Where you at with OHP anyway, mate?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
For now, keep moving up. A little bit of bad form is alright as long as things don't get out of hand. As you progress, you need to get a feel for how much form you can give up to keep moving more weight. When the crappy form is doing more of the lifting than your muscles, it's time to drop back down a little in weight. You'll find that when you do all of a sudden you can use perfect form with weights that used to make you cheat.
This is good advice. I would add, don't worry about the plates. Micro loading can take you further than you think. Use what you have and keep moving forward.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
tomahawk
Brawn
Points: 3,006, Level: 33 Points: 3,006, Level: 33 Points: 3,006, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I recently managed to hit my 5X5 on the given weight, and so needed to increase for next time.
My view on progression like this has changed recently. Personally, I would stick with the current weight until this 5x5 was nice and smooth. Something I felt I could do 9 times out of 10. Then I'd move up.

This isn't for everyone because it is a slow burn.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

so far...

1. slightly "bad" form within reason is okay, reset if needed

2. stay with weights until smooth

3. add reps beyond 5, then add weight and drop back to 5 reps

I think Dray was going to say, change the rep scheme... I would agree...

strength is strength. One rep proves strength, multiple reps prove strength endurance. if you really want pure strength, less reps will get you there.

this could mean...singles, doubles, triples, less sets, declining reps, etc.
effort at your limit will require more recovery. both in between sets and between workouts.

for example, if you are struggling with 135x5x5, try one of the following:

125x6-10x5 (increasing strength endurance and tendon/ligament strength)

135x1x5 or 135x2x5 or 135x3x5 (saving some energy to ensure clean reps)

135x5x3 (save energy for recovery)

135x5,4,3,2,1 (offsetting declining endurance during workout)

120x5, 125x4, 130x3, 135x2, 140x1 (warming up without burning out and then setting PR)
Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
CountryFriedMuscle
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

Another thing to consider is, you are doing 5x5. I know you didn't want to change reps, but you could try to increase the total volume with the lighter weight by adding sets. That would have you doing more work with a weight you could handle until you were ready to move up. Another option is to go ahead and move up, do as many sets as you can with the heavier weight with good form, and drop back down for the rest.

135 x 5,5
125 x 5, 5, 5

vs

125x5x5.

Its still progress, which is the key.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

As others have said, you can lower your load and do more reps then go back to the higher loads and lower reps; this system does work well, when you go back to the lower volume higher loading, it's easier to hit that weight load that you were having issues with before.

I use this system a lot.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

I did a high frequency benching program and helped my OHP amazingly. Upped my bench max by 15kg in 3 weeks, bout a month later hit 80kg x 3 on the OHP. Eat big as well, really helps the press.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

In my experience most people at a beginner level progresses well on a higher rep range on the Press in particular.

I would suggest you do 5x10 instead of 5x5. Whenever you got all reps, att 2.5kg and start over.