Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

First off, sorry for the insanely late reply. Hate to be one of those guys to ask a question and then not have the audacity to respond.

I saw your comments when you wrote them, and I was going to come back on that night to reply but there was some family chaos and I forgot, then we went on holiday for 2 weeks and so I just didn't remember, so again I'm very sorry about that, don't want you to think I'm ungrateful, I should've remembered.

Anyway, I tested out each option you gave me on how to move forward with this.

I went with Soldiers approach and the others who agreed with him first, and within a few days it worked, and I'm slowly but surely progressing, seemed I just have to ride it out until it gets smoother.

I did the same with arnold press, but I've decided with those to instead use a higher rep scheme for a while to see how that works.
Still riding that out so I'll have to see how it goes.

Thanks for the great answers.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-29-2014 at 01:31 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Smart man, lol. Good to hear it's working.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 AM   #13
Mistwraith
Brawn
Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey & Creatine
Mistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good posts

I've been deliberately degrading my form into a push press. I'll start off with doing proper overhead presses, and once i can not get another rep with proper form i use push press technique to finish my rep goal for overhead press. The next time i hit the gym i aim to do at least one more proper form overhead press, before switching to push press. That too is progression, and it seems to work for me. I started doing this the first time i hit the brick wall on overhead press, and now im progressing without hitting plateaus. Sure my weight goes up slowly, but im pushing the limits from session to session and thats what building muscle and increasing strength is about, after all.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
pivost
Newb
New Brawn
Points: 436, Level: 8 Points: 436, Level: 8 Points: 436, Level: 8
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Vitamins
pivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good posts

Go for push presses when you cant complete the 5x5 rep scheme... Lets say you can only do 3 reps because you upped the weight, then you do 2 push presses.. Has helped me alot.

To avoid getting on stuck on push presses aswell try to improve yourself at every workout.. Dont always have to the amount of weight you press that you need to progress in.. Try cutting rest time...

In time you should build up a strong ohp.
pivost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
Thorney
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,410, Level: 21 Points: 1,410, Level: 21 Points: 1,410, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 21 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: steak
Thorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributor

Im all for micro loading. I set up 2 bags of pennies and tie the bag with a piece of string. Currently got 2 1/2kg bags and its making progress much easier.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
Adamite1114
Max Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

You may not want to but those higher reps are probably the way to go. When I was bulking and powerlifting last year I was doing the 3x3 strength program. But I always kept my shoulder presses at 3x5. So if all you lifts are at 5x5 then yeah you should probably bring the press up a bit.

Also what help with my form is a belt. I lower back was dying from military presses until I started using my belt. Also, make sure you looking straight ahead while you do it. Head placement can help a lot of form on a lot of lifts. So keep your eyes forward, lifting the bar past your face and finally over your head, keeping you head in the same position the whole time.

Good luck bub!
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote