Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How much does squatting a few heavy sets before DLs affect your strength (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16152)

Mrinda87 01-21-2014 05:59 PM

How much does squatting a few heavy sets before DLs affect your strength

For those of you have done programs like stronglifts and starting strength or who simply have experience squatting heavy sets(and overhead pressing too) before your deadlifts. Did you have more trouble progressing on your deadlift as the previous lifts got stronger in the program?And when you finished the program and maybe deadlifted fresh did you notice you were significantly stronger? If so how much stronger? I hear if your squat is getting better your deadlift most likely is as well.

Kleurplaay 01-21-2014 06:27 PM

You'll be deadlifting a little less than you would fresh because you just squatted, but it won't hurt your progress on the deadlift to any significant extent. That is assuming you don't absolutely murder yourself on squats beforehand, which would be silly knowing that you have more work to do after.

BendtheBar 01-21-2014 06:50 PM

Just takes a while to get used to doing both on the same day. I trained squats and deads on the same day for about 3 years. Took several months to dial things in and get used to the demands, but after that you likely won't see any strength differences if you're eating properly.

dzarello 01-22-2014 09:47 AM

I used to train 2 days a week with Bench/Squats on day 1 then Press/Deads on day 2. For the most part, all of my lifts progressed about the same. I would rest about 10 minutes between the two lifts. I set many PRs with that type of training. Eventually I did switch to 3 & 4 day training. Progress and strength gains continued. Like BtB said, it just takes a little time for the body to adapt/adjust.

Dray 01-23-2014 12:49 AM

It's what happens in all full powerlifting meets. :)

But anyway, from my own (admittedly limited) experience, I'd say it has very little impact overall. My deadlift was always my strongest lift - and still is! - and I did Starting Strength at the beginning of all this.

GT55 01-23-2014 02:44 AM

I couldnt get to grips with squatting and deadlifting on the same day until BtB posted a video on the subject (its on here). I do 1x5 deadlift and 5x5 squat, so i simply deadlift first with good intensity and i find the squats dont suffer too much. On my "B" day I squat but dont deadlift, and i dont notice a big difference in the squat performance of the two days. I think managing intensity is key.

BravenFenix 01-23-2014 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrinda87 (Post 449771)
For those of you have done programs like stronglifts and starting strength or who simply have experience squatting heavy sets(and overhead pressing too) before your deadlifts. Did you have more trouble progressing on your deadlift as the previous lifts got stronger in the program?And when you finished the program and maybe deadlifted fresh did you notice you were significantly stronger? If so how much stronger? I hear if your squat is getting better your deadlift most likely is as well.

Most programs that implement sets of 5 have a day of squat/press/dead, but realistically it's best do things in the order that you find from most important to least. Having said that if you deadlift after squats instead of pressing, you will likely do better even if your used to doing it the other way due to the simple fact your more fresh.

LtL 01-23-2014 07:42 AM

JByrd has me pulling after squats in this meet cycle and I love it. I recover better and as long as I cycle the intensity so I'm not heavy on both, it works great. Have a play with it.