Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Brute's New Routine Ideas (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15923)

bruteforce 12-29-2013 12:46 PM

Brute's New Routine Ideas

With a new year coming up and the progress I've made in 2013, I'm ready for something a little different. I'm stronger, built better, and more experienced, and now want to look good. My version of good, which is huge as all hell with about 6 inches less gut and another 4" on the legs and a good foot more around the shoulders. So basically what I'm saying is I'm ready for bro mode.

Here's what I'm kicking around

4 days a week when possible, but a basic A/B/A'/B' split

Progression scheme - add 5 pounds when desired reps are met or heavy work feels like I won't break from another 5 pounds

A - Lower
Squat - Daily max single, 2 sets of 3 @ 80%.
RDL - 20 reps over 3 sets - not sure real high reps will actually be a help here
Leg Press - 40 reps R/P
BB Calf Raise - 30 reps R/P
Ab wheel - not sure here

B - Upper
Bench Press - Daily Max single - 5 sets of 3 @ 75%
BB Row - 20 reps over 3 sets
Seated BTN - 25 reps R/P
Pullups - 3 sets @ AMRAP
Kaz Press - 40 reps R/P
DB Curl - 30 reps R/P

A'
Deadlift - Max daily single every other week. 8 singles in 10 minutes
Squat - 20 reps over 3 sets
Front Squat - 10 reps over 3 sets - maybe more, we'll see how my back feels after a few weeks
Prowler Sprints
Plank - 3 sets max time

B'
BB Push Press - Max daily single, 20 reps over 3 sets
Hang Power Clean - 20 reps over 4 sets
CGBP - 30 reps RP
Inverted Row - 3 sets AMRAP
Triceps/Biceps supersets, not sure what yet

So, let me know your thoughts.

BendtheBar 12-29-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 441562)
Progression scheme - add 5 pounds when desired reps are met or heavy work feels like I won't break from another 5 pounds

Perfect.

Looks dam good to me Brute. I'd run it.

MikeM 12-29-2013 01:14 PM

Looks good.

I would raise the percentage on the bench press down sets. 5x 3 with 75% of daily max will get pretty easy right quick. Pressing is less stressful than squats on the body generally and you are doing 80% there is my thinking on that as well as my experience.

I'd also add in some Lat pulls or pullup negatives/assisted pullups or something there as well. If you're anything like me (and I think you are! :) ) 3 sets of max rep pullups could be over really damn quick! Haha.

For the Ab wheel I'd do 3 sets of 15 if that helps.

Finally, only one day with any real cardio, the prowler. Maybe a finisher each day that gets you moving in intervals like hills or a barbell complex or something like that.

My .02.

Rock on Brutus!

linedriver465 12-29-2013 01:15 PM

For ab wheel I like trying to hit 50 reps in as few sets as possible. Not sure what your ab strength is like, but you could start with 10 sets of 5 and then aim for 5 sets of 10+. Keep the rest 1-1.5 minutes

Bi/Tri Superset Ideas
Cable curl and rope pushdown (not sure if you have access to a nautilus machine)
DB Curls and DB Skullcrushers
1 minute hammer curls and ???

bruteforce 12-30-2013 11:55 AM

Thanks BtB!

Thanks for the ideas Mike. The idea with the 75% bench is to start there (or around there) and then add 5 pounds each week as long as i hit my triples, so it won't stay 75%, just a starting point. I'm going to try negatives on pullups for a few weeks and see if that gets me anywhere, lat pull downs seem to be a bust for me. Cardio point is a good one, I'll see what i have time to work in.

Thanks for the arm work ideas LD, those look entertaining.

moeheep 12-30-2013 01:17 PM

Looks REAL good Brute...probably too much for me...but Im not a massavely strong, super huge m**therf**ker like you!

skids 12-30-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moeheep (Post 441984)
Looks REAL good Brute...probably too much for me...but Im not a massavely strong, super huge m**therf**ker like you!

Couldn't of said it better myself.

BigJosh 12-30-2013 11:59 PM

Looks solid. Kill it brutus!
Personally, I would put the hang cleans on a lower body day, but that isn't going to make or break you. Just something to think about if it for some reason is too much on the lower back or something like that.
I would consider this routine an Upper/Lower Split, not an A/B, but really that doesn't make a shit either way.
You've got some pretty big balls to Deadlift, squat, front squat and do prowler sprints in the same session. That is some sickness right there.
This routine has an old school bad ass strong man vibe to it. Very cool.
Go forth man beast and kill it.
When you really want to go full bro mode, consider a 4 day body part split;). Come to the broside bro, we have our hats turned sideways.
Good luck!