Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
mongzords
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Chicken Breast
mongzords is new to the forummongzords is new to the forummongzords is new to the forum
Default After a long setback, I'm getting back into training. Please critique my routine.

Elbow tendonitis kept me from lifting for a while (because I was stupid to try and train through the injury), now after 6 months of recovering from it, I have the all clear to train again.

Before my setback, my numbers were (in kg)

squat: 120x5
deadlift: 150x5
bench: 80x5

Now, when I tested them the other day, my numbers were

squat: 80x5
deadlift: 110x5
bench: 65x5

So, I've lost a fair bit of strength.

I'm overweight, so before my injury I was on a 2000 calorie diet and I was losing weight slowly. I lost 6kg in the space of about 12 weeks. When I got injured, I couldn't lift and because I couldn't lift, I got depressed and gained all that weight back and some.

So at the minute, I'm 94kg. My plan is to eat around maintenance because I want to build my strength back up before I consider doing a cut. Is this a good plan or should I just go into a cut straight away.

The routine I want to run is a full body 3x a week program

A

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5
Power Shrugs 3x8
Curls 3x8
Skullcrushers 3x8

B

Front Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5 (w/ 2 ramped sets)
Inverted Row 5x5
Close Grip Bench 3x8
Curls 3x8

AxBxAxx / BxAxBxx

As you may see, I have no ab work. This is because I'm unsure what to put in. I've noticed I struggle to explode out of the hole when I squat, so what exercises could I include to assist with that.

Also, my grip is really weak, this is because I've always deadlifted with mixed grip and never realised that exclusively doing that creates muscle imbalances. Now my right trap is noticebly bigger than my left when I flex them, so I'm just deadlifting now with double overhand to try and increase grip strength and sort out any muscle imbalances I have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, this is my first post and I hope to have some good progress to show in the near future.
mongzords is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

It doesn't look too bad, there will be more people chiming in here shortly!

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongzords View Post
Elbow tendonitis kept me from lifting for a while (because I was stupid to try and train through the injury), now after 6 months of recovering from it, I have the all clear to train again.
Try to avoid straight bar curls if you can. Those things seemed to really bother my tendonitis when I had it.

Quote:
So, I've lost a fair bit of strength.
It comes back fast.

Quote:
So at the minute, I'm 94kg. My plan is to eat around maintenance because I want to build my strength back up before I consider doing a cut. Is this a good plan or should I just go into a cut straight away.
I always gained strength back when cutting after I lost it previously. My advice is this...if you feel you have fat to lose, go lose it while trying to regain your strength.

Quote:
A

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5
Power Shrugs 3x8
Curls 3x8
Skullcrushers 3x8

B

Front Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5 (w/ 2 ramped sets)
Inverted Row 5x5
Close Grip Bench 3x8
Curls 3x8
Looks very solid.

Quote:
I have no ab work. This is because I'm unsure what to put in. I've noticed I struggle to explode out of the hole when I squat, so what exercises could I include to assist with that.
Try doing paused squats every other squat workout.

Ab work, put in 3 sets of planks or ab wheel rollouts on the A workout, and maybe 3 sets Leg Curls on the B workout or 3 sets of planks if you don't want to do hammies.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Congratulations on being able to get back to training. Follow what BTB said. He really knows his stuff. I can attest that the pause-squats he recommended to you have helped my squat out of the hole tremendously. Good luck!

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote