Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Adamite1114
Max Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor
Default Bodybuilding VS Body Type

Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. Apparently everyone has a certain body type, endomorph, mesomorph and so on. I am a endomorph. And my question to you guys is, how crucial is your body type? Will it make or break your training? Should you always be training specifically to your body type? If you're A body type and you want to build strength and/or muscle, will you have to train differently from b and c?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Adamite1114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

No sir. BtB used to have a small frame

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

There will be better/more in depth responses, but training is training. As long as you keep adding weight to the bar or reps to your sets and consistently train and eat right.. You're going to get stronger and build muscle.

Cutty

TheByrn.com

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. Apparently everyone has a certain body type, endomorph, mesomorph and so on. I am a endomorph. And my question to you guys is, how crucial is your body type? Will it make or break your training? Should you always be training specifically to your body type? If you're A body type and you want to build strength and/or muscle, will you have to train differently from b and c?

Here is an except from an article I wrote:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exp...lding-genetics

Quote:
It has become a common belief in muscle building circles that each of us fits into only one of these somatotypes. Nothing could be further from the truth, nor the intent of Sheldon's system.

We are to be rated as a combination of all 3 somatotypes, somewhat like the numbers on a combination lock. Each of us is assigned a number ranging from a low of 1 to a high of 7 for each body type. A pure ectomorph would be rated as a 1-1-7, a pure endomorph as a 7-1-1 and a pure mesomorph as a 1-7-1.

In reality there are very few "pure" ecto, meso or endos. You are likely to be rated something like a 2-5-3, or a 6-2-2. What most of us think of as a pure ectomorph is in reality an individual with ectomorphic tendencies that outshadow his mesomorphic and ectomorphic tendencies. The same goes for mesos and endos.

William Herbert Sheldon also noted that body type tendencies could be masked by situational factors. For example, an endomorph who is undereating, or who has a fast metabolism and is struggling to intake a quality amount of daily calories, may start to resemble an ectomorph.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

And a bit more...

Quote:
William Herbert Sheldon also noted that body type tendencies could be masked by situational factors. For example, an endomorph who is undereating, or who has a fast metabolism and is struggling to intake a quality amount of daily calories, may start to resemble an ectomorph.

Your somatotype tendency can also be masked by training, current lean body mass and/or body composition. This means that a lifter with ectomorphic tendencies that does everything right in the gym and at the dinner table might be labeled as a natural mesomorph by his peers. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a mesomorph who is putting little effort into his training, and undereating (say with the goal of seeing his six pack abs) might end up looking more like an ectomorph than a meso.

It should be obvious at this point that your somatotype combination can be changed. Bone size and limb length won't change, but body composition and muscularity can morph your somatotypic combination.

Some interesting facts regarding somatotyping should be pointed out. It is up to you to decide their importance and relevance.

William Herbert Sheldon was a psychologist, not a biologist or doctor.
Somatotype combinations were used as a vehicle by Sheldon to determine your personality type.
Those with mesomorphic tendencies were considered likely to commit aggressive and violent actions.
Sheldon's models are based off of male body types only.
Sheldon believed that beliefs, motivation and attitude were rooted in in your somatotype combination.
Many of William Herbert Sheldon's modern peers consider his theories to be not only outdated but verging on quackery.
Does this mean that somatotyping for bodybuilding is useless? No, not really. If we set aside the tie-in with personality tendencies, we are still left with an interesting and somewhat valid system of determining an individual's body type.

On the other hand, the actual determination of the somatotype combination is, by nature, subjective.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Bottom line, train the same. You can only focus on what you can control. You can't base training on a set of what ifs.

My wrist size is very small. 6.3 inches when lean. I was told I could never be as strong as the top tier guys. I nearly had a raw 1900 total this year at the age of 46.

Heart is all that matters. Go get what you want.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Adamite1114
Max Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Heart is all that matters. Go get what you want.
I will!
Thanks guys this has been a great help.
Adamite1114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

edit: what BtB said.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. Apparently everyone has a certain body type, endomorph, mesomorph and so on. I am a endomorph. And my question to you guys is, how crucial is your body type?
Crucial, as in how it impacts your training, ability to build muscle, gain strength, stay lean, etc is what I believe you are asking. I think it has some impact. It's easier for an ectomorph to stay lean that it is for a endomorph, while it's easier for an endomorph to pack on mass than it is for an ectomorph. Easier relatively speaking. Easier probably isn't the best word. A better way to put it would be one body type is more inclined than the other. However, this doesn't mean an endomorph can be/get/stay lean and doesn't mean an ectomorph can't have/add/keep mass. I believe in the end that's a matter of how we eat. But, I personally know ectomorphs who don't have to work as hard or be meticulous with their diet to stay lean and endomorphs who don't have to "eat as hard" to gain mass. Me personally leaning more towards the endomorph side of things.
But these are extreme's. And in the end how you eat will overcome your natural body type.
Just my opinion
Quote:
Will it make or break your training? Should you always be training specifically to your body type? If you're A body type and you want to build strength and/or muscle, will you have to train differently from b and c?

NO. Imo, training approaches shouldn't and don't need to be based on body type. The basic and proper fundamentals will work across the board.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
CountryFriedMuscle
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

I agree with what everyone else has said; training should not differ. Get bigger, get stronger, pretty simple and those are the things you can control. However, I will say that if you are looking to compete at specific things, in this case bodybuilding, having certain features makes it easier/harder.

For instance, I could probably never hack it as a bodybuilder. I am too short, have a gigantic ass and a big waist, thick torso with no V taper. I am a wreck for most bodybuilding aesthetic features and have been since before i touched a weight. However, letting a predetermined thing like body type stop you from chasing something is just silly. Bust ass and get better, thats all that anyone can do.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote