Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Sleep.

Iv'e spoken about sleep several times to some of you in the shout box, but I have some questions I'm still not clear about, partly so I know what is optimal for my weightlifting but also just because I'm genuinely interested.

From a little research, and from speaking with you guys, the general consensus is that 7-8 hours sleep is seen as good from a recovery standpoint.

I also found out that its the last couple of hours where most of the recovery takes place. (Which sucks for me seen as I can often only get 6 hours in)

Why is this?

Not only why do we need 7-8 hours, but why would those last 2 hours be the only ones that really count?

We know the recovery period after lifting lasts up to around 48 hours, so why is it imperitive that all the recovry to be had is crammed into 8 hours of sleep?
And then for only the last 2 hours to really matter out of that 8?

I dont really get it.

Why, when the recovery period lasts 48 hours, isn't sleep counted unless its a straight 7-8 hours?
When your recovering for 48 hours, why can't you say get 6 hours in, and then later on in the day get another 2 to make 8.

That'd mean you still got your 8 hours in for that day (I went to bed at 12:00PM and got up at 6:00AM) , and still in the time your body is in the recovery process.

The only problem I see this with this method is the fact that you have to get a straight 7-8 hours because the main part of the recovery is in the last to hours, if that is indeed true, which is why I'm why I'm asking because it seems like another myth to me, then well...It sucks

Of course consistency with diet and training is the what matters most like you've told me, but obviously you want to do everything you can to make it better for yourself, i.e more sleeping the correct way would mean you'd recover better.
I don't like to use the word missing out as such because you've told me thats wrong anyway, and i try not to think about the minutia, but I feel if I'm better educated on these topics, I wont need to think about it.

I thought before that having 6 hours instead of seven or eight wouldn't make too much difference, but hearing this new info about the last 2 hours I have to admit made me worry somewhat.
To me it sounds like a myth though.
I have been trying best not to though, its just in my nature.
Slowly but surely getting better, and like I said I think learning is the best thing for it.

There seems to be allot of documentation Iv'e been sifting through on this topic so any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Can you try to get some naps in? Why do you not get enough sleep?
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2tZH5N1ZM
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
We know the recovery period after lifting lasts up to around 48 hours, so why is it imperitive that all the recovry to be had is crammed into 8 hours of sleep?

- Linden
I think, if you re-read the part of your post quoted above, you'll realise that sleep is only part of the recovery process.

If it takes 48 hours to recover from any workout, that would mean 6 days of sleep at 8 hours a night would be required for the recovery of that one workout and as such nobody would ever be able to do 2 sessions a week and certainly not 4 or more; additionally, the body is recovering from normal daily activities, work, leisure, cell repair, fighting off colds etc.

Sleep occurs in cycles of 1.5 hours, through varying depths and REM and such, being woken halfway through a cycle will leave a person groggy for a short time. The body repairs whilst asleep and 7-8 hours is only an average, many get by on a lot less sleep, others need more, others still wish they could get more but have to make do due to commitments, young babies and so forth.

For an in-depth look at how sleep works, you'd have to find a few internet articles or get a good book that covers in at least in part, because it's one of those things that can't really be covered in enough detail here, many don't know the ins and outs of the exact sleep cycles, the timings vary dependant on age etc.

As long as you feel rested at least 75% of the week, you should be fine, nobody generally ever gets 100% great sleep throughout a week and many train and recuperate through less recovery time available (in terms of pure sleep, which is only one aspect of recovery).
Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Don't sweat the small stuff, Linden.

You'll know all about it if you're truly not sleeping enough. Don't worry about numbers and theories. Really.

But if that is seriously the case (not enough sleep to get by, that is), then sure, maybe look into some options. See a doctor, even.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Any time you hear people put exact numbers on things it's just a general guideline. How do you feel? Do you feel well rested? If you feel like you need more sleep, try to get it. If you feel well rested then you're fine.

6 hours at night and a good nap during the day should be just fine.

The biggest issue with sleep is to get through at least 1 whole sleep cycle. If your nap is a quick cat nap then you probably didn't get through an entire cycle and your body isn't getting very much out of it.

I can always tell where I am in my sleep cycle when my alarm goes off by how I feel. If I turn off the alarm, get up and go about my business then I wasn't in a deep sleep. But if I wake up disoriented and don't want to move I know that I was in deep sleep.

By the way, most people think that when we dream during REM sleep we are in a deep sleep cycle. Not true. REM sleep is actually a lighter sleep.

Try to get 8 hours in for every 24. More is not necessarily better, and less is not necessarily worse. Just go by how you feel.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

If you are tired sleep OR drink more coffee!!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
The_Big_Sleep
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

LG, read up on "Delta-Wave Sleep" and "polyphasic sleep", it will help you understand why total time slept is not an indicator of how efficient your sleep is
The_Big_Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Can you try to get some naps in? Why do you not get enough sleep?
I tried, I got 40 minuets in but then woke up. Couldn't get back to sleep after that.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Great video, had a look into the meditation thing, and actually found some guided meditation which seem quite good.

Cheers for the heads up man.