Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Madcow 5x5 (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15402)

TobesLCFC 11-04-2013 10:55 AM

Madcow 5x5

Anyone used this program before? I am doing texas method for my bench and press and it's working very well but I think Madcows would be a better long term solution as it's easy to follow and i won't get burnt out and exhausted the whole time.

Also, does anyone think the volume on Madcows is too low?

BigJosh 11-04-2013 11:08 AM

I did this routine. It was my first foray into "strength training" (away from 4 day splits).
I think it's a great routine. Steady progression on the big lifts with modulated volume and intensity (if i remember correctly) on the squat, bench press and row.
With this routine, I got bigger and I got stronger.
I personally don't think the volume is an issue at all. I think it's plenty. However, if you are concerned about the volume, I would suggest you run it for a 2-3 months, just as it is. Give it a chance with out changing a thing. After a few months, if you still don't think it's enough volume, maybe you start to tweek things. Maybe you add more accesory work.

TobesLCFC 11-04-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 423327)
I did this routine. It was my first foray into "strength training" (away from 4 day splits).
I think it's a great routine. Steady progression on the big lifts with modulated volume and intensity (if i remember correctly) on the squat, bench press and row.
With this routine, I got bigger and I got stronger.
I personally don't think the volume is an issue at all. I think it's plenty. However, if you are concerned about the volume, I would suggest you run it for a 2-3 months, just as it is. Give it a chance with out changing a thing. After a few months, if you still don't think it's enough volume, maybe you start to tweek things. Maybe you add more accesory work.

Thanks man. Just the reply i was looking for. Was thinking about throwing in two sets of curls because i think Bill Starr recommended that.

jiorio95 11-04-2013 11:19 AM

I second BigJosh's review. I found this program and made great progress on it for awhile. I found the volume to be perfect and squatting 3 days a week really helped me on my worst lift.

brad1224 11-04-2013 12:35 PM

x2^^^ Had some great results

Tannhauser 11-04-2013 01:05 PM

What Josh said. It's a long time since I did it, but I seem to remember it got very tough as the weights went up.

markievicz 11-04-2013 01:35 PM

I agree with both Josh and Tann,

glwanabe 11-04-2013 02:03 PM

I like using Reg Park style 5x5 progression in either a A/B split or fullbody format. Ramping works quite well and has a proven track record.

Run the program, and get a working knowledge of how the progression feels, and then you can adjust and tweak as you need. It's really just about understanding that progression slows down, and you need to give yourself time to get stronger.

It's often talked about here that progression is king, or to keep pushing for progression. What needs to be understood, is that progression for a beginner is different than for an advanced lifter.

TobesLCFC 11-04-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 423386)
I like using Reg Park style 5x5 progression in either a A/B split or fullbody format. Ramping works quite well and has a proven track record.

Run the program, and get a working knowledge of how the progression feels, and then you can adjust and tweak as you need. It's really just about understanding that progression slows down, and you need to give yourself time to get stronger.

It's often talked about here that progression is king, or to keep pushing for progression. What needs to be understood, is that progression for a beginner is different than for an advanced lifter.

I'm not a particularly advanced lifter. I would say I'm an intermediate. I can bench 275lbs for a couple of reps, squat about 300lbs (squat is weak as i only started squatting less than a year ago) and deadlift around 370lbs. I can still make linear gains.

glwanabe 11-04-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobesLCFC (Post 423408)
I can still make linear gains.

Seems like you have a handle on the situation. Get it.