Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Would like some critique of my workout routine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15382)

Spunkrat 11-02-2013 04:24 AM

Would like some critique of my workout routine

Hey everyone, would just like to start off with saying I'm new here, pleasure to be a part of the forum.

So my goal is to build muscle, I've been training for 1 year and 11 months now. Current lifts
115kg Bench
170kg Squat
210kg Deadlift

Routine is as follows:

Push/Pull/off/Legs/off/Repeat - each muscle about twice a week.

Push

Flat Barbell Bench Press x 4 sets 5-8
Incline Dumbell Press x 3 sets 8-10
Lateral Raises x 4 sets 8-12
Skullcrushers x 3 sets 8-12

Pull

Deadlifts x 3 sets 5-8
Barbell Rows x 2 sets 6-10
Pull Ups x 2 sets 8-10
Shrugs x 2 sets 8-15
Barbell Curls x 3 sets 8-12

Legs
Squats x 3 sets 5-8
Leg Press x 2 sets 8-15
Stiff Leg Deadlifts x 3 sets 5-8
Hamstring Curls x 2 sets 8-15
Seated Calf Raises x 3 sets 8-15
Standing Calf Raises x 2 sets 8-15

Would like some general opinions on the effectiveness of this split. Also, would it be more beneficial to replace laterals with shoulder press? I have always been shoulder pressing yet have been told three pressing movements in the one workout could be overkill for the shoulders. Thanks.

Carl1174 11-02-2013 07:13 AM

I would stick with the leteral raises rather than OHP, I wouldnt normally recommend that, but the anterior delt is getting hit pretty hard with the other pushing stuff. Just make sure the hand stays BELOW the elbow when doing the lateral raises so as to not hit the anterior delt as much.

And imho you really dont need all that work on calves. i would just do Standing BB calf raises 2-3 sets.

just my 2p worth, but looks OK really :)

glwanabe 11-02-2013 07:32 AM

What were you doing before you came up with this plan?

What was YOUR thought process as you wrote this plan down.

Is this an extension or building up of how you have worked?

In general, there may be good, or not so good reasons why you choose what you have provided for us to look at. YOU, need to make the hard decisions if this is right. This plan may be perfect, or it may be totally wrong. Your training should evolve as you move forward.

There are a few fine points to the plan that I would change if I were to work it for my own needs. We can get into that later if you would like.

big_swede 11-02-2013 12:20 PM

Looks great for putting on some mass, but you could alternate the db presses with overhead press every other session. Putting things overhead is awesome.

bruteforce 11-02-2013 04:35 PM

I'm with swede. Overall routine looks solid, but if you want to do some overhead work, alternating DB incline and maybe BTN pressing or push pressing or anything else overhead might be good.

Spunkrat 11-02-2013 11:05 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.