Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What do you do next once you can cable row the stack? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15290)

bigalfry 10-22-2013 04:18 PM

What do you do next once you can cable row the stack?

Just realized something the other day when I was doing my cable rows. What do I do once I can do the whole stack?

I've still got a few pins to go before I need to worry about this but I thought I'd ask and see. My gym has a plate loaded hammer strength row machine that might do the trick but the pegs are so short, could probably only put 3 or four plates on each arm on that anyway. Or should I just switch to T-bar rows?

I know there are way bigger and way stronger guys than me in this forum so what do you guys do?

Squatter 10-22-2013 04:33 PM

Just graduate or switch to Pendlay Rows, DB Rows, Meadows Rows, or BOBR's, or the t-bar rows you mentioned. I am right now enjoying alternating week to week pendlay and meadows rows.

TDawg75 10-22-2013 04:42 PM

Gimme a sec. I have a pic for just that question.

5kgLifter 10-22-2013 04:46 PM

Going on to other equipment that isn't cable related may require a drop in load as well; I recall Jim (Squatter) mentioning that he could do a set amount on a cable set-up but when he got the JimGym he had to cut the load by 30% or more because there was less to no pulley involvement.

TDawg75 10-22-2013 04:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I use 550 paracord and strap dumbbells to the stack. I had some fancy ones that I had weaved, but gave them to a guy at the gym who needed something like this. I just knotted these. I use two dumbbells because, when you get over about 30lbs on one side, it starts to put the stack in a bind. If the weight is even, the problem is non-existent. Our stack is only 150lbs, so I have to do this for many excercises.

5kgLifter 10-22-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDawg75 (Post 419486)
I use 550 paracord and strap dumbbells to the stack. I had some fancy ones that I had weaved, but gave them to a guy at the gym who needed something like this. I just knotted these. I use two dumbbells because, when you get over about 30lbs on one side, it starts to put the stack in a bind. If the weight is even, the problem is non-existent. Our stack is only 150lbs, so I have to do this for many excercises.

That's the sort of thing I do with loads, at home, not sure a gym would appreciate it or permit it especially if it takes their equipment over the recommended load bearing limit, insurance purposes etc.

TDawg75 10-22-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 419487)
That's the sort of thing I do with loads, at home, not sure a gym would appreciate it or permit it especially if it takes their equipment over the recommended load bearing limit, insurance purposes etc.

My gym is fine with it, but it is a small gym and the owner has to do the same thing. You are right, though, I don't think it would go over well in a big gym.

TDawg75 10-22-2013 05:18 PM

Now that I think about it, though, a lot of gyms have the magnetic weights that you stick on the stacks or the ones made to fit on top of the stack as well. They would still probably not like you strapping a whole bunch of weight to it.

Soldier 10-22-2013 05:28 PM

A standard bar can hold at least 7 plates a side, which is 675lb.

Time to start rowing!

(Note; I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but this is one of the reasons why strong MF'ers don't mess with machines.)

Dray 10-22-2013 05:59 PM

A lot of strong mofos *do* mess with machines :p, but mostly the plate-loaded kind (ones that can hold a lot of plates, funnily enough).

And I agree anyway - BB rows ftw. I think they're much maligned, and just underappreciated all over the place.

Staggering amounts of back strength and muscle have been built with high volume BB rows and not much else, in some cases.