Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Bodybuilding Food War

Be prepared to lose one hour of your day.

https://www.facebook.com/davepulcine...51665754926935

Dave Pulcinella:

Quote:
I find it really interesting that, in the past 5 years or so, all the effective behaviors that bodybuilders have discovered over the past 100 years or so, have been deemed "old school" and are now "completely unnecessary and silly"

1) Eating every few hours: no longer necessary.
2) Eating specific foods: no longer necessary. (Iifym)
3) Eating at all!: not necessary. Fasting apparently gets you big now.
4) Lots of cardio: this is the devil himself! You can now get the same results with 17 seconds of HITT cardio every 5th day and avoid that ubiquitous METABOLIC DAMAGE!!

Is it a coincidence that:

A) Its all the DIFFICULT shit that needs to go? And

Not one TOP bodybuilder on the planet has abandoned their draconian ways for these "new and improved" tenets? And

C) The lineups at every major show I attended this year had much higher numbers and much lower quality?

Anyone? Anyone?

Quote:
wow!! this is fascinating! speaking of scientific studies, i think one should be done on this very phenomenon were seeing here. This would be like me going onto the page of a guy who just won wimbledon, and telling him his training is all wrong because i played a game of tennis once and read a pamphlet on the biomechanics of the proper tennis swing.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Hyperbole much.

You dont need to eat every few hrs unless your are big enough for it to be a must.

IIymf is not an exuse to eat shit

Fasting dosnt mean your not eating enough. Although its certanly not nessacsry to be lean and muscular

Nobody does 17s of hit and calls it a day

He has some vague points, but hes overextended it all.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Oh my god! New ideas!

Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

Everything evolves. How long did people believe the earth was flat? Its funny a lot of the protocols that he is knocking has been backed by many PHDs who have tested the shit in labs.
Let me touch on each point
1) Eating every few hours: no longer necessary.
Not a shred of evidence that its more beneficial then less and bigger meals. A benefit here is if your appetite is poor smaller meals can help you reach your caloric goals easier.

2) Eating specific foods: no longer necessary. (Iifym)
IIFYM has been grossly exaggerated by some. Most educated coaches say hit all your fibre and micro goals eat mostly whole foods, but its wont kill you or harm your physique is you fit in some "dirty food" i have seen a ton of guys get fucking peeled following IIFYM. Do some people abuse it? Of course people abuse everything.
3) Eating at all!: not necessary. Fasting apparently gets you big now.
I am assuming this is knock to IF, this is very grossly exaggerated.
4) Lots of cardio: this is the devil himself! You can now get the same results with 17 seconds of HITT cardio every 5th day and avoid that ubiquitous METABOLIC DAMAGE!!
Funny once again i have seen competitors getting fucking peeled doing 3-4 session of HIIT cardio a week as opposed to 8-10 hours.

Some people cant let go of their dogma. Are these old school protocols harmful? not at all but it doesn't mean there is not a better way. Hey if these are methods you like all the power to you but if you're going to sit there and argue about whats been scientifically proven....
Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Some critical points are ignored in a lot of these debates. A major point is the fact that AAS using bodybuilders benefit from much greater protein intake, and it makes sense for them to try and eat 300 grams over multiple meals rather than one sitting. If they are also taking HGH, tren, etc it's also going to be much harder for them to gain much fat. They will likely need to eat more than their natty counterparts.

Another point regarding frequent meals: while it may not be necessary, it's never let one bodybuilder down - to my knowledge - in the last 50 years. So it is a safe muscle building eating style. This must be mentioned because many on the fasting side has become extremely dogmatic and engage in verbally bullying every time someone doesn't eat in "their way." I see this multiple times per day in my line of work. It's extremely obnoxious.

Frequent feeding also makes more sense for the guys with fast metabolism, which is most men in the 16 to 24 year old demographic. I certainly couldn't have eaten my 4,000 calories per day at 18 in one meal. I also would have been hungry 6 hours later again.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-26-2013 at 09:38 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Some critical points are ignored in a lot of these debates. A major point is the fact that AAS using bodybuilders benefit from much greater protein intake, and it makes sense for them to try and eat 300 grams over multiple meals rather than one sitting.

Another point regarding frequent meals: while it may not be necessary, it's never let one bodybuilder down - to my knowledge - in the last 50 years. So it is a safe muscle building eating style. This must be mentioned because many on the fasting side has become extremely dogmatic and engage in verbally bullying every time someone doesn't eat in "their way." I see this multiple times per day in my line of work. It's extremely obnoxious.

Frequent feeding also makes more sense for the guys with fast metabolism, which is most men in the 16 to 24 year old demographic. I certainly couldn't have eaten my 4,000 calories per day at 18 in one meal. I also would have been hungry 6 hours later again.
I was eating 4 larger meals a day, worked great. After i got sick my appetite was not the same i moved on to 5-6.

As to the AAS and protein thing, i tell guys that all the time who are clean and eating 400 grams of protein at 200lbs or less. I tell them it would be much more beneficial of they routed those calories into fats and carbs as they don't need that much protein as 1 gram per lb is very sufficient, you could extend to 1.5. Some have listened others have not. The guys who have listened told me they noticed a difference.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Some critical points are ignored in a lot of these debates. A major point is the fact that AAS using bodybuilders benefit from much greater protein intake, and it makes sense for them to try and eat 300 grams over multiple meals rather than one sitting. If they are also taking HGH, tren, etc it's also going to be much harder for them to gain much fat. They will likely need to eat more than their natty counterpartn.
Indeed.