Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   20 rep squats final routine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503)

strkout35 12-17-2009 07:39 PM

20 rep squats final routine

i'm posting up what i've come up with for my 20 rep squat routine. I just want any last advice before I start it in 2010.

goals are to put on as much mass as possible and gain weight
I've been lifting for over a year now, but lifting seriously with a set routine for about 6 months
My stats are 6,1 165 lbs

Workout Monday Wednesday Friday alternating ABA BAB

Workout A:
Breathing Squats: 1x20
Pullovers: 1x20x20lbs
Bench Press: 3x8-10
BB Row: 3x8-10

Workout B:
SLDL: 3x4-6
Military Press: 3x8-10
Weighted Chins: 3x8-10

Squats I plan on starting at 95 and adding 5 lbs each week on the 20 rep squat program. all other lifts I will increase the weight by five pounds once i hit around 8-10 on three sets, i might even work down to around 5 reps any input on that? plan on running this for eight weeks.

BendtheBar 12-17-2009 08:03 PM

It looks intense. Best of luck SO.

strkout35 12-17-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 15714)
It looks intense. Best of luck SO.

you like the way it's set up though? no suggestions?

BendtheBar 12-17-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 15716)
you like the way it's set up though? no suggestions?

It looks like a solid, basic plan. I say run it and make adjustments on how you feel.

big valsalva 12-17-2009 11:05 PM

Looks good to me. When I ran a similar program, I squatted every workout and did SLDL every other workout. But what you have if just fine and should be quite suitable to a long progression. Good, conservative starting weight. You should be good to go.

jwood 12-18-2009 12:01 AM

Looks like a good program to me, just feel it out, and keep a log. I am interested in seeing your progression.

Eat big, and get plenty of rest, you will see great results from this!

BendtheBar 12-18-2009 08:47 AM

I could also add that I lived on 9-12 per workout for a number of years. I like that range.

kitarpyar 12-18-2009 08:56 AM

Solid plan.

Just something from my own experience with the 20 reppers - 8 weeks is a LONG time for a 20 rep squat routine. Typically, if you are starting around your 12-15RM, by the 12th-15th workout you will reach your 5-7RM weight on squats. That's just 4-5 weeks. Taking them beyond this point is tricky. I tried it once, ended up with a pulled lower back at the end of 5 weeks.

One thing to remember though, is that you are using alternate workouts (unlike me, I was doing the 20 reppers 3x week) for the 20 reppers, so you will get to that point slower, and so 8 weeks might be fine. I guess all I would say is dont keep 'n' number of weeks as a target; rather keep at it till you feel your lower back can take no more. It's brutal and effective, but remember, the effectiveness counts for naught if you mess up the lower back.

Dont want to sound negative dude, just sayin temper your enthusiasm with consideration for your lower back. All in all, its a good routine, and even if you can stick for 5-6 weeks, it should pay huge dividends. And yeah, dont forget that bit about GOMAD. Trust me, this part is almost as critical as the routine.

Good luck man, and if you start a log, keep us posted - we will look forward to you getting some killer gains.

DarthPenguin 12-22-2009 04:55 PM

looks a good program, i tried something a bit similar earlier in the year and found i stalled pretty fast, have found that pyramiding up with each set and doing 5 sets has been working pretty well for me, had never been able to get my squat past 70kg doing either 5 x 5 or one set of 20 reps and building up, but pyramiding up the weights i have manager to get the lowest set to above that without it almost registering, so might be another option for you

but the program looks good, though painful!!

good luck and am sure you'll do well whichever you do as you'll work your but off which is the important thing!

BendtheBar 12-22-2009 08:31 PM

When are you starting SO?