Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What to do when Muscle Building Progress Stalls (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494)

BendtheBar 12-16-2009 10:35 AM

What to do when Muscle Building Progress Stalls

So, you stall. You've been lifting for years, and you know you're far from your natural limit. You know on paper you have it in you to gain 10 to 20 more pounds of muscle. Where do you go from there?

If a split isn't working, are you willing to try a full body? If blasting muscles with 5-7 exercises isn't working, are you willing to try fewer exercises and focus on heavy compounds only? If a full body isn't working, are you willing to try an AB split, or even a 3/4 day split?

I am asking myself these questions right now. What am I willing to do...?

Sure, my muscle gains are all but dead. That happens after years of training. But I still have areas I can improve. A 1/4 pound in the shoulders could make a huge difference. An 1/8th pound in the biceps might mean a natural 18" arm.

I am formulating a new plan of attack on major lifts for 2010. I am going to take my existing lifts, and work towards 20 rep sets. This is a completely radical change for me.

Deadlift - Right now I do singles with 405/415. Over tiem this year I am slowly going to work towards a 405x20 rep set, without rest-pause. Using good form. One rep at a time. By the end of 2010, I want 405x20 - at least.

Squat - Right now I do triples with 365 and singles with 405. I am going to start working 405 for doubles, then triples...and by the end of 2010, I want 405x20. Sounds insane? I only need to add 19 reps. 19 short steps.

Bench Press. I'm hitting 295 for triples right now. The weight is butter. I am going to start with 315, and work towards 20 rep sets. One rep at a time.

Overhead Press. I'm hitting triples with 205. I am going to load 225 on the bar, and climb the latter to 225x20.

Why? Why am I taking a new approach? Why not. My strength is going up, and never have I pushed myself to absolute limits. I want to try something different and radical.

I have only one goal...to toss around such heavy weights that people shit their pants. Am I doing it for them? No, not really. I'm doing it because I want to be a beast, and because I want to wring out every last ounce of strength from my 42 year old body.

I want to be the 43 year old guy on Youtube that is doing 405x20 squats, and making your jaw drop. I am jacked about this goal. If it doesn't wring out every last drop of muscle out of my body, nothing will.

I want to get back to basics. This is who I am. This is who I've always been. I don't give a crap about training splits, or training theories, or macronutrient grams, or the different forms of hypertrophy. All I care about is moving heavy weight and building massive muscle.

2010 for me will be a change. I've stalled, and time for something different.

glwanabe 12-16-2009 10:51 AM

I like it!

RickB 12-16-2009 12:04 PM

Best of luck! Barring no injuries (knocking on wood...not you jwood :D), I think if nothing else, you will definitely squeeze everything you can out of yourself. Swing for the fence my friend ;)

bwys61 12-16-2009 12:15 PM

I think you are insane. good luck with that 20 rep scheme! Power to ya

onetiredkris 12-16-2009 03:26 PM

with 52 weeks ahead of you, all you have to focus on is adding 1 rep every week or even every other week.

screw the conservative talk, you know what you have to do

strkout35 12-16-2009 03:48 PM

sounds awesome, i'll be with you on those 20 rep squats in the new year :rockon:

jwood 12-16-2009 04:09 PM

Those are some awesome goals I know you can do it, hit it hard, you will get there. The key for me with long term goals is consistently aiming to reach that goal, I have a tendency to get distracted.

You can do it, keep us posted, and keep up your hard work, awesome stuff here.

BendtheBar 12-16-2009 04:43 PM

I know I'm insane. But I want to do something different this year. One rep at a time.

Grim83 12-16-2009 04:47 PM

Good luck BTB, looks like a massive amount of fun (or brutality you choose)

DarthPenguin 12-16-2009 04:52 PM

Good luck!!! Sounds like a lot of work but a very worthy goal.

When you get to those 20reps on them all (as i'm sure you will) you'll be an absolute monster!!!! :)