Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNC View Post
I think the biggest thing is that I need to stop comparing myself to other people.
Quite possibly the most intelligent thing anyone has ever said on the internet.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

At 29, 5'7" and 130# I would bet that you are just entering your best growing time. I started getting somewhat serious about 40 (48 now). For me I always had a tough time adding muscle. I tried very hard in my early 40's to add wt...I did. Fat, and of course some muscle. I also started having some health issues.

So, I stuck w/ being happy about adding some muscle, but kept the fat at bay. Although still small, no one thinks I look like a walking coat hanger in a Med size shirt. As a matter of fact, I'm dropping wt (about 5# heavier than avi pic from 2 yrs ago) and most people have commented about me getting bigger.

Also, going to do my first powerlifting meet in a month. I'm going to win our informal PL contest at our Rec Center (# for #) It finishes today. Even if someone thinks I'm a walking coat hanger, they won't say it to me.

Anyway, yes you have plenty of time. Yes, you can gain wt/muscle. Yes, you can get to 170# if that is what you wish. But, keep an eye on the health stuff on the way up. You have a ton of info available here and the rest of the internet. Use it...........wisely.

BTW, at the gym I would still tell you to "Get out of my way young man" in a joking matter. You're still a young pup.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #23
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
As a matter of fact, I'm dropping wt (about 5# heavier than avi pic from 2 yrs ago) and most people have commented about me getting bigger.
You are in terrific shape in that avi picture.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I agree with the others. A.) don't compare yourself to others, just be the best you you can be. B.) Set your plan, work your plan and let the plan work. It will take time, but it will work. C.) Every once in a while it is nice to be able to say, "lay down on the floor and let this skinny guy show you how he can deadlift you for reps."

BTW, I didn't get started until I was 45. I will turn 50 in December. (the 21st if you want to send cash)

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I started to train with a purpose at 28, that was in early 2010. I have come a long way since then by doing hard work and eating alot of food. Attitude is everything, and I think its good to compare oneself to other people. The competitive drive is not to be underestimated when it comes to training.

Good luck and stay on the path!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Thanks.

I can thank or blame MAB for that...transformation contest in 2012. Just for reference I was 46, 5'9" & 144# in that pic.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #27
AdamNC
Brawn
Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22

Training Exp: On and off since H/S
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
AdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Gidday mate

BTB did a good video on how to increase your calories.

Off the top of my head, Whole milk goes a long way, real Cheese on everything, Protein shakes with some heavy cream and peanut butter in them, something like that anyhow. You should look it up.
I've seen a few of his videos on YouTube, that is one I must have overlooked. I'll check it out, Thanks. I do drink whole milk in my protein shakes, but is has to be lactose free. Other dairy seems to be fine. It just sucks you can buy it by the gallon. I also do add peanut butter and oats for extra calories, along with a tablespoon of olive oil when I have it. I was adding this to a half serving of weight gainer, and I gained weight, but mostly around my stomach, so I just got a regular whey protein powder and started adding the other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
Thanks.

I can thank or blame MAB for that...transformation contest in 2012. Just for reference I was 46, 5'9" & 144# in that pic.
I second that. If I could look like that at 140 or so lbs, I'd be more that satisfied.
AdamNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
ruelisla
How to be big and strong
New Brawn
Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
ruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good posts

It still not too late for you, for me i was 25yrs old when i learn how to gain muscle and strength.
I was 155lbs then since i learn about nutrition and correct program to gain muscles.

Now I am 244lbs and still gaining muscle and strength.

Look for a model or a guru that will teach you how to build muscle. Learn from him. eat his brain.

Check the free report by clicking here ===>http://tinyurl.com/mavyeh9

Free Muscle Building Video Reveals “Hardgainers Nutrition & Training Guide To Get Big & Lean In Less Time”

Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv

Last edited by ruelisla; 08-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.
ruelisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
AdamNC
Brawn
Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22

Training Exp: On and off since H/S
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Food
AdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruelisla View Post
It still not too late for you, for me i was 25yrs old when i learn how to gain muscle and strength.
I was 155lbs then since i learn about nutrition and correct program to gain muscles.

Now I am 244lbs and still gaining muscle and strength.

Look for a model or a guru that will teach you how to build muscle. Learn from him. eat his brain.
How long did it take you to go from 155lbs to 244lbs? Just curious.

I do have an older friend that used to compete when he was younger, and I do pick his brain from time to time, but he always seems to direct me in the area of being lean and cut, which alot of people like, but if I still look skinny in clothes, i dont see the point. I'd rather have the thick, beefy, powerlifter-type look, but I don't think im built for that.

Last edited by AdamNC; 08-26-2013 at 01:28 PM.
AdamNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
jiorio95
Max Brawn
Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Fav Exercise: Squat
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

Just some random food strategies I go with that helped:

- Some different protein shakes I make:
- Whole milk, peanut butter, 1 or 2 scoops whey
- The above but add a banana as well
- I add 2 ounces of heavy whipping cream when I've been busy and I know I need more calories
- The above can get to about 700 calories if not more depending on how you measure.

- Before bed I like to mix 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 banana, and almond together. You can even add 1/2 scoop of whey

- Chocolate milk is a good friend

- On weekends when I have more time in the morning, I like to throw down a 3 egg omelette with some cheese, shredded chicken, veggies mixed in it.

- Every Sunday, I make 5 8oz chicken breasts and 5 cups of rice. Takes me about a hour and I put them into separate containers. I use these as snacks on busy days where I'm running around with work.

- Yogurt is good, I mix it with granola to double the calories in it.

Just some quick ideas. Everyone has different ideas but if you have some foods you like, just throw them out there and we may be able to incorporate them to add more cals.
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote