Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Lifting question

Hi guys

I have a question.

I hadn't been taking note of how long my workouts had been lasting, but when it came out as nearly 2 and a half hours the other day, I thought something needed to be re looked at.

There are a number of things I figured out was causing this.

1.) that squats and deadlifts often called for a break for a while until I got my strength back to do the rest of the workout. Maybe 10 minuets.
That can't be helped I guess though.

2.) The time it takes for me to recover and be able to do the next set of squats and deadlifts. Several minuets added on there. Again, can't really be helped, and will be something I'll get better at over time.

3.) Heres the one I thinks causing it.

I've added variations of pull-ups and push-ups to each workout.

Workout A has Weighted chin-ups and weighted regular push-ups, while workout B has Close position weighted push-ups, and weighted Pull-ups.

I added these simply for some extra work to fatigue the muscle more, but now I'm starting to think its overkill.

It started off with the pull-ups and chins because neither of my rowing movements are doing very well, so I have a fear that my back and biceps will lag behind if I don't have them in there, that I wouldn't be building much muscle and strength at all without them until my rows improved.
(Thats DB rows, and BB rows, the only two exercises I did for my back)

My legs we're sorted with the deads and squats. There was no need to alter anything there, and they're going great progression wise, but then I thought if I had pull-ups and chins in there, my Tris, shoulders and chest were then somewhat at a disadvantage because I've added more work for my back and biceps.
So then I added the pushups variations each worout.

Now my workouts last over 2 hours Which I'm pretty sure is excessive.

My question is this.

Are the regular bench pressing, and close grip bench pressing enough for my tris, chest and shoulders? are these new exercises overkill?

I'm wondering weather there's only so much you can fatigue the muscle. Not sure I'm right about that.

I think I need to quicken the pase up a bit in general anyway, but my workouts we're lasting maybe an hour and a half tops before.

I went pretty fast last workout and finished in around 2 hours, but like I said there's been days where its lasted 2 and a half!

Thanks
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

First, if you enjoy 2 hours and can recover and grow from it, then it's fine. "2 hours" isn't bad. Losing strength or size is bad.

You should recover nearly 100% in 3-5 minutes after a heavy set.
More than that is probably overkill, but take the time if you need it to mentally prepare.

I believe the push : pull ratio should be at least 1:2. More pulling than pressing in most cases.

The regular bench pressing, and close grip bench pressing should be enough for your tris, chest and shoulders...if the weight/volume is sufficient. Judge by results, not time, etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post

1.) that squats and deadlifts often called for a break for a while until I got my strength back to do the rest of the workout. Maybe 10 minuets.
That can't be helped I guess though.
That's way too long. If you need that kind of rest something else physically might be taking place, like you aren't sleeping and eating right. I am not being critical, but rather pointing out that this isn't normal.

You need to push yourself to tighten the rest a bit. Results come from progression. You need to progress and push yourself with time between sets.

Quote:
3.) Heres the one I thinks causing it.
Honestly, my opinion: you're just out of shape.

When I was a teen I exercised all day and felt great. It takes time but you build up.

I think you're trying to look for complicated answers when the real answer is that you have zero conditioning. It takes time and will come.

I hesitate to recommend changes until your condition improves to a reasonable level.

Are you hungry at all during the day?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Haha... that's a good Dad for you right there... straight shooting!

Linden,

Don't overthink think a conditioning program either.

All you have to do is gradually reduce rest between sets over time.

It will be hard... that's what improves conditioning, keeps you lean, forces glycogen uptake into the muscles, builds mitochondria, etc, etc.

Forget the details... work harder and everything will get better!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Many of my sessions last over 2 hours, but I agree with BTB. When I'm going really heavy and hard it takes at the most 5 minutes for me to move from the ending of one set to the beginning of the next, and now that I'm focusing on size instead of strength sometimes I'll only rest long enough to change the weight on the bar/machine before I go right back into the next set.

Don't worry too much. Your body isn't just adapting to moving weights. It's also adapting in lots of other ways as well. You're body is using food in ways it never has before, and being exposed to lots of different types of stresses that are completely new.

I'd suggest setting a goal to get in and out in less than 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the clock, push yourself, and hit it hard.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
That's way too long. If you need that kind of rest something else physically might be taking place, like you aren't sleeping and eating right. I am not being critical, but rather pointing out that this isn't normal.

You need to push yourself to tighten the rest a bit. Results come from progression. You need to progress and push yourself with time between sets.

Its not that I feel fatigued, its that I often feel sick after doing them.

Looking back actually its only really squats his happens with.

I rest maybe 2 minuets max with deadlifts

With squats, by the third set I can feel all the food I ate coming back, so I have to wait a while until my stomach calms down.

Thats why, I should've explained it better.

Quote:
Honestly, my opinion: you're just out of shape.

When I was a teen I exercised all day and felt great. It takes time but you build up.

I think you're trying to look for complicated answers when the real answer is that you have zero conditioning. It takes time and will come.

I hesitate to recommend changes until your condition improves to a reasonable level.

Are you hungry at all during the day?
I think you misunderstood a bit, thats my fault, I didn't really explain it very well.

When I say "heres what's causing it" I was talking about the time. Why my workouts we're taking so long, because I'd added two more exercises on top of everything else

I'm not saying I have a problem carrying out a workout that is that long, I do every time with no problem. Its just I was bothered about the time and was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

I could happily workout all day too. I was one of the top athletes in my school, won allot of awards.

Got best time for long distance running, fastest sprints, and furthest long jump.

And no I'm never really hungry.

I see what your saying though. I guess everything will come with time like you said

Thanks for the advice Steve

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 08-13-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Many of my sessions last over 2 hours, but I agree with BTB. When I'm going really heavy and hard it takes at the most 5 minutes for me to move from the ending of one set to the beginning of the next, and now that I'm focusing on size instead of strength sometimes I'll only rest long enough to change the weight on the bar/machine before I go right back into the next set.

Don't worry too much. Your body isn't just adapting to moving weights. It's also adapting in lots of other ways as well. You're body is using food in ways it never has before, and being exposed to lots of different types of stresses that are completely new.
Again like I said to btb I think I've confused it.

Its after I've done all my sets of squats, that I have o take 10 minuets out max, to recover because I feel sick.

I have a big meal maybe an hour before so maybe thats it.

Quote:
I'd suggest setting a goal to get in and out in less than 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the clock, push yourself, and hit it hard.
Yeah thats a great idea, I'll try that.

Thanks Soldier
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Haha... that's a good Dad for you right there... straight shooting!

Linden,

Don't overthink think a conditioning program either.

All you have to do is gradually reduce rest between sets over time.

It will be hard... that's what improves conditioning, keeps you lean, forces glycogen uptake into the muscles, builds mitochondria, etc, etc.

Forget the details... work harder and everything will get better!

Great advice JD, cheers!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

EDIT:

I seem to have confused the situation.

When I say I rest 10 minuets, thats after all of my sets are done, and if I feel sick.

Not in between sets, and not if I don't get the sickness. It doesn't happen all the time.

Thats the reason I sometimes have to rest that length of time. Not because I'm so unfit I can't go another set without collapsing like you think
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
EDIT:

I seem to have confused the situation.

When I say I rest 10 minuets, thats after all of my sets are done, and if I feel sick.

Not in between sets, and not if I don't get the sickness. It doesn't happen all the time.

Thats the reason I sometimes have to rest that length of time. Not because I'm so unfit I can't go another set without collapsing like you think
Well, that's good.

As I've said before, slight nausea after squatting is common for beginners. Another common beginner ailment is forearm cramps (as an example).

Anyway, an hour should clear your stomach, but give it another 30 minutes. Also, watch if you're drinking too much during the sets or drinking something too sweet/syrupy, etc.