Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

No lockout, no lift. Prrrrrrrr

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Very good points regarding the judging. It definitely counts and I wouldn't want to take that away from him.

What about looking at it from the perspective of the lifter. Anyone, if you we're the lifter and this was your lift, would you be satisfied with it?
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Most, if not all, of the people saying this is a bad lift have never sat in the judges chair. I've been a judge in the APA, APF, and an currently a National Judge for the USPA. You have to realize that the judges get one chance at making the call. The lift takes less than 10 seconds and they only get to see it once, in real time. You can't observe all aspects of the lift at once. That's why there are three judges.

Also take into account that this is only one lift in a meet. If there are three flights of 15 lifters, three attempts at three lifts each, the judges are looking at 405 lifts that day. Could you get every call correct? Mistakes will be made, both for and against the lifters occasionally.

I always make the call as I see it. Tie goes to the lifter. If there is any doubt on any aspect of the lift, I give it to the lifter. If I cannot articulate to the lifter exactly why the red light, I give him/her white light.

I was not a judge on this lift, but having been there before, I felt the need to explain why a questionable call may be made. I'm not saying this was a bad lift, I'm saying that since at least two of three judges gave him a white light, the lift counts. Like it or not.

Remember to thank the judges and loader/spotters at every meet. It's the only recognition they get except for people bitching about a mistake.
Never knew how hard it was till I judged a few meets. I went back and watched the videos and saw several that on video I wouldn't pass, but did in person.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

On instant replay....No.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #25
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

WRT his arms being locked I believe Vinny has elbow issues which means his arms don't lock completely straight. As for butt coming up, I'm not sure. He has a lot of leg drive and that makes it look a lot worse than it is. I do think it was bobbled and could have been red lighted but it wasn't. Good lift.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

From that angle, bad judging.

His start and finish position are not the same. I understand he has elbow issues, but watch the bar position relative to the bench before the start command and at the rack command.

That said, from Gene's perspective, he likely could not have noticed it. I am not sure where the other two judges are positioned.

He got a fast press command though
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
Bill
Max Brawn

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Now that I compare the commands from my lifts the previous day to this, I would say the commands were fast.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
Bill
Max Brawn

545 smokeshow.

His first 600 attempt looked much better although his left arm dipped after he locked out.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Most, if not all, of the people saying this is a bad lift have never sat in the judges chair. I've been a judge in the APA, APF, and an currently a National Judge for the USPA. You have to realize that the judges get one chance at making the call. The lift takes less than 10 seconds and they only get to see it once, in real time. You can't observe all aspects of the lift at once. That's why there are three judges.

Also take into account that this is only one lift in a meet. If there are three flights of 15 lifters, three attempts at three lifts each, the judges are looking at 405 lifts that day. Could you get every call correct? Mistakes will be made, both for and against the lifters occasionally.

I always make the call as I see it. Tie goes to the lifter. If there is any doubt on any aspect of the lift, I give it to the lifter. If I cannot articulate to the lifter exactly why the red light, I give him/her white light.

I was not a judge on this lift, but having been there before, I felt the need to explain why a questionable call may be made. I'm not saying this was a bad lift, I'm saying that since at least two of three judges gave him a white light, the lift counts. Like it or not.

Remember to thank the judges and loader/spotters at every meet. It's the only recognition they get except for people bitching about a mistake.
Yeah, I understand that, attention spans waver...and the fact that this is an occurrence in every sport, where judges have to sit and watch (even where technology makes the decision, at times)...but I saw daylight, so said no...and yep, I'm not a judge and never have been, probably never will be either.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
ruelisla
How to be big and strong
New Brawn
Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: deadlift
ruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good posts
Default No Lift

[quote=BendtheBar;387476]Take a look at the third lift. Good or no lift?

You make the call.

No lift, he wasnt able to lockout.

Is it also raw or is he on geared?

Check the free report by clicking here ===>http://tinyurl.com/mavyeh9

Free Muscle Building Video Reveals “Hardgainers Nutrition & Training Guide To Get Big & Lean In Less Time”

Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv
ruelisla is offline   Reply With Quote