Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

it looks like there was a hitch. I thought that wasn't allowed. So I'd say no.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
bb12
Hulk!
Max Brawn
Points: 7,232, Level: 56 Points: 7,232, Level: 56 Points: 7,232, Level: 56
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

bb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributor

either way, I have great respect for guys that can move huge weight
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.
bb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I'm not a judge and what I say means nothing, but if I had lost because of that lift, I'd be pissed.

I don't think his arms were locked at the start, much less the finish where they were even less locked out. I'll go even further and say not only was he not locked out, he would have dropped that right down on his chest had not the judge called it and let the spotters bail him out. He also dips the bar on the left side on the way up. It clearly comes down on that side and then back up. I don't think his butt came up though if that means anything to anyone.

Hey, I hope for a little love from the judge like anyone else competing, but that was egregious.

Just my .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I don't think his butt left the bench, you see his hams off the bench, but I think the butt never leaves.
There is very clearly spce between his ass and the bench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill88 View Post
I'm weak and not a competitor but, I would say No. He didn't really lock-out the lift, you can see the spotters had to jump in at the last second. And like 5kg said, it looked like his butt came off the bench.
His spotters jump in because judges say "good lift"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
At least two of the three judges gave him white lights, so it was a good lift.
Judges also love to give Wilkerson squat world records, for half squats.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74

Training Exp: in 3rd year
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Upon further review and using the pause function, I would like to add that his butt does indeed come up. It was quick and at first I didn't realize it which is why some judges may not either, btw, but it does come up.

So, for the sake of argument, very often the side judges are just for butt and foot faults. So, if your butt and foot are good, but you hitch and don't lock out, is it a good lift because of 2 out of 3?

I don't buy that. And I realize all judges judge all aspects, but we all know, side judges often only judge butt and feet.

So, was that good strategy? Or knowing your fed like the back of your hand? Or a flat out bad lift?

Just sayin'

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I don't think his arms were locked at the start, much less the finish where they were even less locked out.
i'm not sure this guy is even capable of locking his arms like a normal person anymore. whatever, it's amazing that he can move that kind of weight. and after failing at the same weight twice, how does he have the strength on the third lift. amazing whether it should have counted or not.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn
Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Red Meat
OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Vinny still pushing 600 raw is just amazing, this guy is a pressing machine. Respect
All of us have had a bad call and have to live with it, sometimes though we get a pass.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Lockout is questionable. It looked as if the bar started to come down on him right before the rack command too. Hard to tell whether or not the glutes are off the bench. It looks as if they may be. I'd probably turn this one down if I were holding a light.

Gene wasn't even looking when he gave the rack command.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #19
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
At least two of the three judges gave him white lights, so it was a good lift.
After reading this^^, I kinda had a change of heart... This was a competition lift, on a platform, in front of three judges, and got at least two white lights... The lift counts!

Maybe, that's not what I necessarily consider a lift, but that's what counted. Congrats to him!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #20
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Most, if not all, of the people saying this is a bad lift have never sat in the judges chair. I've been a judge in the APA, APF, and an currently a National Judge for the USPA. You have to realize that the judges get one chance at making the call. The lift takes less than 10 seconds and they only get to see it once, in real time. You can't observe all aspects of the lift at once. That's why there are three judges.

Also take into account that this is only one lift in a meet. If there are three flights of 15 lifters, three attempts at three lifts each, the judges are looking at 405 lifts that day. Could you get every call correct? Mistakes will be made, both for and against the lifters occasionally.

I always make the call as I see it. Tie goes to the lifter. If there is any doubt on any aspect of the lift, I give it to the lifter. If I cannot articulate to the lifter exactly why the red light, I give him/her white light.

I was not a judge on this lift, but having been there before, I felt the need to explain why a questionable call may be made. I'm not saying this was a bad lift, I'm saying that since at least two of three judges gave him a white light, the lift counts. Like it or not.

Remember to thank the judges and loader/spotters at every meet. It's the only recognition they get except for people bitching about a mistake.