Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Skinny Guy's Guide

I pulled this from (literally) a skinny guy's guide to getting bigger. It is a before and after photo, and is backed by a long article from an up and coming website that is now very popular in this niche.

Now I am not posting this to hate on any changes this guy made. I applaud all people for progress and effort. Well done.

I am rather posting this for discussion. This is 2 week's worth of work. Do you feel that lifters who are writing articles with little personal experience are helping or hurting the industry?

Does it bother you that people can rush out to establish themselves as gurus in the niche before they possibly understand the complexity of the problems, or do you feel it is far more simple than we think and that there's no harm at all?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve-Before-After-2006-713x529.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	9790  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Here's my thoughts and the rules I try to follow; only give advice to those that are struggling with stuff that you've figured out through experience. I think I can help beginners and intermediates because I've been there and have figured a few things out along the way. However, you will never see me giving Gasp any Bench Press tips and you'll certainly never see me giving JByrd and lifting advice at all. Know Your Role

As far as the guy in the pictures goes, he could only possibly give advice on taking selfie pictures because he made absolutely no recognizable gains and has obviously not paid his dues yet.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

I don't see the difference in the photos, he is little in the before photo and little in the after photo, so NO hes not qualified to give advice. He just looks like he needs to go to the crapper and pinch one off.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

i feel at two weeks they are hurting the industry. Honestly how do you know what you can do at two weeks. It takes like a month to see results from changing your diet and triaing. If everyone was a guru after 2 weeks there would be tons of articles about training and diets.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I think it depends on the article and the tone of it. If he is talking about his experiences and what he personally has done, I don't think there is any harm in it.

Although if he is talking in an authoritative tone and telling "what is" then think there is going to be a lot of upset people and mislead people in the industry.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
I think it depends on the article and the tone of it.
Yes, I think that is an important point.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
zach90
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

thats not a skinny guy in my opinion. and it looks like hes been working out before so showing progress of only two weeks after hes been working out for however long that is really doesnt show much at all
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I think in many a young lifters eyes, his abs automatically qualify him to give advice.

I don't think I have ever seen a before & after photo with absolutely zero noticeable difference.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

It IS very simple Steve, it just ain't easy!

As OR said, it's best to give advice on issues you have suffered through yourself and can give a genuine insight so personally, I can only advise beginners on getting injured!

I think self-proclaimed 'gurus' do irreparable harm to the industry. How many people have started out in high spirits, followed one of the gurus' advice only to crash and burn? In most cases, such individuals just give up altogether not realising that there are different ways to achieve their goals.

I am also not a fan of 'this is the way to do things' type people who, because they have had success through a given method, automatically assume that others will be the same. We're all wired differently and I've found this out the hard way.

It is best to follow the advice of experienced lifters BUT also look at how certain things affect you. Once you learn on the job, you might find yourself making fewer silly mistakes. Now I just hope I can follow suit in the next few years!

P.S - If I ever get all jacked and tan, I will be all over the Skinny guy's guide to be getting bigger niche
28 days to becoming awesome. Make girls swoon and beat bullies with my EXCLUSIVE LIMITED TIME OFFER.

Getting it done one session at a time.

Last edited by Kuytrider; 07-17-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I have been at this for a little over a year, and I STILL consider myself a beginner, and I do NOT give advice because I do not feel I have anywhere near enough experience to be telling anyone else what to do.

If someone asks me a question specific to what I have done, I will be more than happy to answer, but to just give blanket advice....no way!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote