Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I found the site Steve was referring to. There is apparently 18 pounds of a difference between the pictures. Oh, and he gained the 18 pounds in 30 days.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
JBrown
Brawn

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

If people should not be considered experts before "enough hands-on experience" we would have never made it to the moon, under that law. There are many great NFL coaches, like Mike Shanahan, who have little to no actual playing experience but exceed exceptionally well at teaching. Heck, Gary Kubiak sat on the sideline for the majority of his "playing" career. Currently he's considered one of the best.

People have different abilities. Some have the eye and knack for teaching and others are proven animals on the field but couldn't put what they practice into proper vocabulary articulating correct execution. Mike Singletary was without doubt one of the greatest linebackers in history but IMO sucks at coaching.

Our sport, powerlifting, in a beautifully metaphorical sense is the epitome of life in every way. To become great, key is knowing your strengths and weaknesses.

Science>Experience for me, as well.

JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
zach90
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
If people should not be considered experts before "enough hands-on experience" we would have never made it to the moon, under that law. There are many great NFL coaches, like Mike Shanahan, who have little to no actual playing experience but exceed exceptionally well at teaching. Heck, Gary Kubiak sat on the sideline for the majority of his "playing" career. Currently he's considered one of the best.

People have different abilities. Some have the eye and knack for teaching and others are proven animals on the field but couldn't put what they practice into proper vocabulary articulating correct execution. Mike Singletary was without doubt one of the greatest linebackers in history but IMO sucks at coaching.

Our sport, powerlifting, in a beautifully metaphorical sense is the epitome of life in every way. To become great, key is knowing your strengths and weaknesses.

Science>Experience for me, as well.

i agree with much of what you say but i think the point everybody else is trying to say is that there are people who have very little experience or education in the fitness world who are proclaiming themselves "gurus" or that they have the answer to all your lifting questions. yes there are coaches who may have never played a minutes of profesional sports but they have degrees in those fields and they have put in the time to learn the game and all of its mechanics. the people we are talking about have no education in the field, and very little experince in practinve
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It depends, on a few things, if he's doing it purely to show what he has achieved and how he has gone about it, as a sort of diary style blog for people to follow, then that makes sense.

Neither do we know what previous experience he has, there are plenty of lifters that look like they have only just started and then we find out they've been training for years but have just got back in to things after some time away from training, so they may have amassed knowledge even though they don't look they may have done so.

I select who I take advice from, based on numerous things but I also don't discount someone that lifts less than someone else etc, because otherwise I'd have to discount myself in the process and yet I could probably give more insight into some of the oldtime lifts than others, though I may never be able to lift as much as a guy new to it.

Mind you, I think he needs to take some camera advice, although I think he's using the orange lighting, in the first pic, and the head down in the second shot purely for effect...what effect, I don't know.

And, is the first pic the last one or the other way around? I can't tell.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post

Science>Experience for me
Experience>Science . . . for me
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I pulled this from (literally) a skinny guy's guide to getting bigger. It is a before and after photo, and is backed by a long article from an up and coming website that is now very popular in this niche.

Now I am not posting this to hate on any changes this guy made. I applaud all people for progress and effort. Well done.

I am rather posting this for discussion. This is 2 week's worth of work. Do you feel that lifters who are writing articles with little personal experience are helping or hurting the industry?

Does it bother you that people can rush out to establish themselves as gurus in the niche before they possibly understand the complexity of the problems, or do you feel it is far more simple than we think and that there's no harm at all?

He shouldn't be giving any advice.

He has zero experience.

However, I don't really think its harming anyone.

A guy or girl decides to lift weights.

They search the internet for advice in doing so.
They come across this guy.

When they see his before and after pictures, they're not likely going to listen to him.
You take advice from people who have been there and done what you want to do, and have visible results to show from it. Its motivating.

In this case pictures speak 1000 words.

I don't think beginners are going to take any notice of what he's saying because of his almost non existent results.
I don't think he's doing any harm.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Boom
Brawn

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Boom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributor

The only growth I could see in those pics is that wispy goatee.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
JBrown
Brawn

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach90 View Post
i agree with much of what you say but i think the point everybody else is trying to say is that there are people who have very little experience or education in the fitness world who are proclaiming themselves "gurus" or that they have the answer to all your lifting questions. yes there are coaches who may have never played a minutes of profesional sports but they have degrees in those fields and they have put in the time to learn the game and all of its mechanics. the people we are talking about have no education in the field, and very little experince in practinve
Yes, I do see the majority view. And I agree with it under most cases. However, there are a few people that have that uncanny ability without much or any application to teach exactly what they studied coming from the elite realm.

Looking back on my own experiences I was better served when reading the science first and applying that to what others with tremendous experience and not much fact showed me. Rather than no science and solely relying on learning from someone with just great knowhow. Sometimes the latter fellows only have the ability to teach what works for them.

Damn, why can't we all have a combination of everything great
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I'll give advice to anybody. You never know when the likes of JB may need some tips on happy dances.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
He shouldn't be giving any advice.

He has zero experience.

However, I don't really think its harming anyone.

A guy or girl decides to lift weights.

They search the internet for advice in doing so.
They come across this guy.

When they see his before and after pictures, they're not likely going to listen to him.
You take advice from people who have been there and done what you want to do, and have visible results to show from it. Its motivating.

In this case pictures speak 1000 words.

I don't think beginners are going to take any notice of what he's saying because of his almost non existent results.
I don't think he's doing any harm.
Quite being a 'hater' Linden
18 pounds of a difference right there.

Actually, this guy has been training for many years according to his website. I read some of what was on there and to be fair, he doesn't appear to be a 'snakeoil' salesman. Just basic advice that you would read anywhere else and doesn't appear to be trying to sell anything.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote