Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Off Road's (Sorta) Rant For Newer Lifters

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post386440

From Off Road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road
"A little rant. . .Sorta. . . Hopefully some motivation for a few of our members.

I've seen several of our members getting depressed, or changing routines too often, or not training at all due to a lack of progress or just over-inflated expectations. I know it's hard to be in a community where some guys put up monster numbers or make such fast progress. It's hard not to compare yourself with those guys and not get completely down on yourself.

Man, it just doesn't happen overnight for some of us. While some gain downright fast, others gain at a snail's pace. I've been at this for over 14 years and my numbers are barely passable for respectable. It has taken me all this time to get where I am and it will take me quite a bit longer to get to where I want to be. But I DON'T QUIT! I DON"T WHINE! I DON"T KEEP LOOKING FOR THE MAGIC ROUTINE! I stay on the frackin' course and take what I can get!!!

Ya, I want to be a 500 lb squatter, and a 400 lb bencher. You know what? I will be! But I realize it takes time and consistency.

I visit many journals and I see guys like me. Guys that enjoy the journey. Guys that put in the work no matter how hard it is or how small the gains seem to be. We aren't the guys that add 400 lbs to our totals every year. We aren't the guys that add 30 lbs of muscle in a year. AND we realize that we aren't doing anything wrong, it's just what we can get back from our efforts and we are PROUD of every little gain. We earned it!!!

Now to all those guys that are moping around because they haven't turned into Hercules in a couple of years, JOIN THE FRACKIN' CLUB BOYS.

Get your asses back in the gym, stick to a routine for several years, and enjoy the process, because the fame isn't coming.

You have to love to do this for what it can give YOU, not what it gives others."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would like to add...

I have been doing this for 27 stinking years. Not for records. Not for glory. Not for big arms. I lift because I enjoy it.

I don't do all the ridiculous crap that gets you injured. (well, I avoid it most of the time) I treat lifting like a job. I do enough so I can stay sane and function the next day, not kill myself.

Until 2008, my 3 lift totals were:

Bench - 350
Squat - 500
Deadlift - 450

It took me 22 years to get a 1300 pound 3 lift total.

I hate hearing whining or complaining. Shut up and enjoy lifting already. If you listen close the secrets are all here on MAB.

I swear if you just try to progress a little, and don't try to kill yourself each day, you'll avoid most of the stupid mistakes we've made.

For all of you intermediates who think you are stalled because you've only improved your lift by 2 reps this months, I say this with love...your head is in a dark place and you have incorrect expectations.

That is good progress for an intermediate. A stall is a stall. This is NOT a stall. It is normal progress.

Gains always slow. That does not mean anything is wrong. It's called being a human being.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-15-2013 at 11:30 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I would add, to what has been added. Not all " stalls" are stalls. For some it will be the upper limit until you commit to making the changes necessary to break that limit. I see too many wanting to gain strength and get bigger, yet only eating like a baby rabbit. One small change of mindset will bust that upper limit, but until you are willing to change, you will only be frustrated. You can apply this to routines, reps, sets, even specific exercises. For example, I made big jumps in squats and deads when I began working my hams and glutes consistently. THINK!

Smart training is smart, in every way.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

This was a great post! couldn't of said it better myself.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

It is definitely painful when you see several videos of 500, 600, 700lb squats while I haven't hit 400. To see people on the forum pass you up. But it sure won't make me give up.

Great words OR, BtB, BM.

Something to add to the topic Patience and Belief - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

My squat has not moved in 3 years. Bu hu hu.

:-)

Great post OffRoadie, I agree. Some days its hard not to compare yourself with the strongest men on the planet but If you do, do it for motivation and not to put yourself down.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Great and much needed advice guys, thanks !

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

what this basically boils down to is about enjoying the process and truly immersing yourself in it.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

We all strive for PR's, but if you don't enjoy the journey, you're in the wrong sport. If it was easy, everyone would be squatting 1000, benching 800, and pulling 900. I think the biggest problem is that people set to high of goals and get discouraged when they don't reach them as soon as they thought.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
dlocas
Brawn
Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 1 + 1
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Omega-3
dlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good posts
Default Not yet benching 400... and still happy!

There is wishful thinking, and there's real life. It's been a year since I returned to the iron game. December 2012 -- I was 40, weighting 220 (6'1") and getting a little fatter every year. January 2013 -- Start lifting after some 12 years without touching a barbell. Whoa! those plates are HEAVY... Learning to deadlift propery; 135 lbs on the bar... doing rows with 75, then 85, then 95... Fast forward to February 2014 -- I start a session with some deadlift sets; 365 lbs on the bar... and wrap up the session with some Pendlay rows with two plates each side of the bar (same weight I can bench for 8 reps!) And I now tip the scales at 235 with a little less fat. So yes, I don't deadlift 600 yet nor bench 400, but I am happy with my progress; and all that eating macaroni and cheese! Yes, I am on CHEESE! And I am also a big Canadian lumberjack who drinks BEER!
dlocas is offline   Reply With Quote