Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Question about meal timing.

I've seen allot of conflicting opinions on this.

Some say it makes all the difference, while others say its irrelevant.

Seen as this is the most experienced lifting forum on the net with the largest BS filter, What can you guys tell me about meal timing and its impact on muscle and strength gains.

Its something that if important would effect me, and I would think most other fairly busy people.

Just the other day I went to see a friend for a few hours and didn't eat when I was at his house with my diet being so particular, so when I got back I had to find time to workout AND wolf down 3 meals with a post workout shake in the space of about 3 hours. Obviously not ideal if meal timing does in fact matter.

What do you think?

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 07-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I've seen allot of conflicting opinions on this.

Some say it makes all the difference, while others say its irrelevant.

Seen as this is the most experienced lifting forum on the net with the largest BS filter, What can you guys tell me about meal timing and its impact on muscle and strength gains.

Its something that if important would effect me, and I would think most other fairly busy people.

Just the other day I went to see a friend for a few hours and didn't eat when I was at his house with my diet being so particular, so when I got back I had to find time to workout AND wolf down 3 meals with a post workout shake in the space of about 3 hours. Obviously not ideal if meal timing does in fact matter.

What do you think?
The meal timing aspect, I don't use, so I'll let the others chime in on that particular point.

Concerning the 3 meals and a shake in 3 hours, obviously not a great option, as you know. The things you need to ask are:

1) Is this a one-off occurrence type of situation or will it occur again, and possibly more regularly?

2) Do you know how to swap like for like with meals?

With regards to 1: if it was a one-off, you could easily get away with eating whatever was available and swapping it out for one of your meals...but I also know that you're trying to stick to a set diet which may be the issue there, emotionally as well.

If it is bound to be a regular occurrence, you will need to know how to swap meals with meals you cannot "track" in terms of absolute calorie counting.

With regards to 2: you need to be able to visualise foods that you can exchange...so, say you had 1 portion of potato (carb) and they're having rice...just take the equivalent; and do the same for meat/veggies etc.

If they're having junk food, and it's more concern to you, eat a small portion of it...it's not going to hurt your gains at all; however, if it's a regular thing, you may want to try and track it somehow...or...just take something portable with you, that's a good choice for people that know they will be away at set times where they can't get to their regular meals. Some people take a shake, others a protein bar, others a pre-prepared meal in tuppaware etc.

But, in theory, you're young enough and slim enough for any "errors" not to impact a whole lot if at all.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

I'm 38 years old and have been training for 2 years. 90% of the time I eat only twice a day. I see my strength levels rising much more quickly than the young fellas in their prime who try to micro manage everything
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Meal timing, while it may help, isn't as important as consistently getting all your calories. I wouldn't sweat the timing, there are too many guys doing just fine on two and three big meals a day.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
The meal timing aspect, I don't use, so I'll let the others chime in on that particular point.

Concerning the 3 meals and a shake in 3 hours, obviously not a great option, as you know. The things you need to ask are:

1) Is this a one-off occurrence type of situation or will it occur again, and possibly more regularly?

2) Do you know how to swap like for like with meals?

With regards to 1: if it was a one-off, you could easily get away with eating whatever was available and swapping it out for one of your meals...but I also know that you're trying to stick to a set diet which may be the issue there, emotionally as well.

If it is bound to be a regular occurrence, you will need to know how to swap meals with meals you cannot "track" in terms of absolute calorie counting.

With regards to 2: you need to be able to visualise foods that you can exchange...so, say you had 1 portion of potato (carb) and they're having rice...just take the equivalent; and do the same for meat/veggies etc.

If they're having junk food, and it's more concern to you, eat a small portion of it...it's not going to hurt your gains at all; however, if it's a regular thing, you may want to try and track it somehow...or...just take something portable with you, that's a good choice for people that know they will be away at set times where they can't get to their regular meals. Some people take a shake, others a protein bar, others a pre-prepared meal in tuppaware etc.

But, in theory, you're young enough and slim enough for any "errors" not to impact a whole lot if at all.

Great advice there, thanks babs.

I thin the problem I have is that its usually quite late in the day that I workout. Like today when I was talking to you about it, it was quite late to just get ready to workout. I'd been out all day you see, first time I'd sat down.

Its a regular assurance to some extent, though this time it was a one off that I had to eat all that.

Really, its the last meal thats the late one, mainly on workout days.
I workout and it ends up being like 10:00 when I'm done, sometimes later but not usually.
I have my shake, and then realize I have another meal to have, and shortly I'd be going to bed.

So it adds up. There's a shake, couple of bananas, pb sandwich, and a tin of tuna.

I think its to do with management rather than anything else.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I'm 38 years old and have been training for 2 years. 90% of the time I eat only twice a day. I see my strength levels rising much more quickly than the young fellas in their prime who try to micro manage everything
Well thats reassurance then, thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Meal timing, while it may help, isn't as important as consistently getting all your calories. I wouldn't sweat the timing, there are too many guys doing just fine on two and three big meals a day.
Yeah thats what I thought. I see allot of people not really bothering about meal timing and they're big as hell.

Thanks for the reassurance man.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Great advice there, thanks babs.

I thin the problem I have is that its usually quite late in the day that I workout. Like today when I was talking to you about it, it was quite late to just get ready to workout. I'd been out all day you see, first time I'd sat down.

Its a regular assurance to some extent, though this time it was a one off that I had to eat all that.

Really, its the last meal thats the late one, mainly on workout days.
I workout and it ends up being like 10:00 when I'm done, sometimes later but not usually.
I have my shake, and then realize I have another meal to have, and shortly I'd be going to bed.

So it adds up. There's a shake, couple of bananas, pb sandwich, and a tin of tuna.

I think its to do with management rather than anything else.

One solution, unless you feel uncomfortable doing it of course, would be to take the PB sandwich and the 2 bananas with you...they're easily portable; that way you'd only have tuna and the shake to eat later on.

As I say, that's one solution, which will help in making sure you get all the food in and not having to eat a massive bulk load right at the end of the day; it does mean, making sure you prepare it before you go, so knowing what you're doing and where you'll be , ahead of schedule, would help a lot in that sense.

You could also, just have a couple of their bananas etc, if they're okay with it and you've forgotten your stuff.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
One solution, unless you feel uncomfortable doing it of course, would be to take the PB sandwich and the 2 bananas with you...they're easily portable; that way you'd only have tuna and the shake to eat later on.

As I say, that's one solution, which will help in making sure you get all the food in and not having to eat a massive bulk load right at the end of the day; it does mean, making sure you prepare it before you go, so knowing what you're doing and where you'll be , ahead of schedule, would help a lot in that sense.

You could also, just have a couple of their bananas etc, if they're okay with it and you've forgotten your stuff.

Yeah good idea.

I prepare most of my stuff in the morning anyway so everything ready. (A situation my OCD DOES actually help me haha )

Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i don't do meal timing i tried it but i cant live my life like that so now i just eat 2-3 meals a day with a snack or two, i still gained size and got stronger.