Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

With so many people being succesful as hell while eating for only 6 hours a day, there is no reason to believe that spreading out nutrition over the day is 'better'. When you eat your food is trivial compared to what you eat. Don't like eating breakfast? Don't. Want to eat 15 meals a day? Do it (although this will probably hinder you somewhat in your daily activities ).

The famous quote by Alan Aragon (fitness expert with over 20 years of experience in the field, master of science in Nutrition) is "99% of your progress is determined by what you eat, 1% is determined by when you eat it."

There are infinitely many things that are more important to your progress than nutrient timing.

EDIT: Recently a study came out that showed noticeable increase in anabolic drive in test subjects that ate more frequently. The problem is that in this study the subjects were eating extremely low protein (I believe it was around 80g) and all of this protein came from whey protein or other extremely fast absorbing protein sources. The reality is that when you eat things such as eggs, chicken, beef, cheese etc. These things actually take a while for you to digest so the protein is 'slowly released' into your bloodstream (if that makes sense). So while the study may indicate that nutrient timing does make a difference, there is at this moment absolutely zero reason the believe that this is applicable to actual athletes that eat actual food and eat way more protein than the test subjects in this study did anyway (which increases absorption time even more). I also believe Layne Norton did a similar study in rats which showed something comparable happening in rats, this study was also done with purely whey protein (and protein supplement companies abuse the hell out of that study to promote their whey and other products.) and therefore also not really applicable to the day to day nutrition of athletes.

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 07-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

As I understand it, meal timing has more to do with insulin and blood sugar levels than anything else. I time my meals during the work week as my schedule allows and never on the weekends or when I am on vacation. As OffRoad said, getting the required amount of calories from the right kinds of foods is far more important.

I know people who only eat 2-4 times a day and they grow like weeds. For me, I've found that I can't stuff myself, so a 2000 calorie meal is out. Hence, I eat more frequently.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Got it, thanks for the responses people

Seems as long as your being realistic (2 or more meals a day), meal timing isn't important.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Pretty much, yeah.