Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Dylan
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Dylan is off to a good startDylan is off to a good startDylan is off to a good start
Thumbs up Advice ?

ut myself.
Trained for years in muay thai and mma mainly, and have lifted to help those.
Been focusing on lifting since january.
I'm 5"8, about 56kg and 18 years old.

Gained around 3-4kg since i started but after i upped the cals and sorted my diet. i'm looking for a new routine.
I hate doing programs like SS that are 3x a week full body, tried them and just not for me.
I'm on a 4 day split now, and i take one day rest every two days.

I'm looking to build muscle, last time i got my BF% done it was 7-8%.

Routine looks like this .

Day 1 - Shoulders/Triceps
Day 2 - Legs
Day 3 - Chest/Biceps
Day 4 - Back/ Traps

I focus on compounds, and they're the first exercise i do each day, and do 5x5 on squats, 3x5 on deadlifts. everything else ranges from 8-12 reps, or 6-10 if im going heavier.
I avoid machines as much as i can too.

Stats
Squat 5x5 - 82.5kg
Deadlifts 1x5- 102.5kg
Bench 50kgx5
OHP 30kg x4 8

Thanks lads!
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I hate doing programs like SS that are 3x a week full body, tried them and just not for me.
Quote:
Day 1 - Shoulders/Triceps
Day 2 - Legs
Day 3 - Chest/Biceps
Day 4 - Back/ Traps
3 days upper body, 1 day legs?

i dunno, man. you dislike SS, which has you squatting a bunch, and then you switch to a routine with all upper body and a little bit of legs. sounds to me like what you actually dislike is squatting.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Is there a question in there?
Split looks fine, starting with compounds is good, body fat looks low but you've got room to grow, lifts have plenty of room to move up in the next few years, so it looks like time to get to work. Hopefully those days listed aren't full of lifts that don't relate directly to strength.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I made the bulk of my gains squatting only once a week. Consistency and progression, as long as they are in place, will take you a long way.

This is my base go to split program. I need to rework it, but the basics are strong.

4 Day Power Muscle Burn Workout Split | Muscle & Strength

Whatever program you use, run it like a scalded dog. You will see good gains.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Routine looks like this .

Day 1 - Military Press -Shoulders/Triceps
Day 2 - Squats -Legs
Day 3 - Bench Press -Chest/Biceps
Day 4 - Deadlift -Back/ Traps!
There's a better way to write your routine so the powerlifting minded people can read it correctly
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Don't forget that deadlift builds shanks too!
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

yeah, i know. i count deadlift as a leg exercise. yes, i know it trains the entire back as well. but if i'm doing squat and deadlift on separate days, i consider that 2 leg days.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Dylan
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1

Dylan is off to a good startDylan is off to a good startDylan is off to a good start

Thanks for the quick replies !
sorry if I was a little vague.
Actually squatting is one of my favourite exercises aha after leg day though I'm sore for days
My question was do you think I'm on the right track here?
and yeah what off road posted is exactly my routine ha, those exercises are the first ones I do each day.
as for individual exercises:
chest I focus on bench, incline bench, incline and decline db press and flies. Then curl variations for biceps
legs day consists of squats, leg press, hack squats, leg extensions and leg curls then calf work.

back is deadlifts, t bar rows, (high and low with different grips), cg and lat pulldown, one arm rows and pull ups.
shoulders is ohp , db shoulder press, lat and front raises, rear delt flies. Triceps is close bench, and weighted dips on bench and off dip bars.

I go for 8-12 reps on everything except squat and deadlift. If I get over twelve I add weight. Less than eight I scale back.

any tips much appreciated!
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

what's your specific goal or goals?

no proper program is good or bad unless it does or does not move you toward your goal
Old 07-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Looks fine! Good luck man and welcome to mab! Also you could write a journal in the Training logs section to get feedback on your training