Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Calling btb and anyone else who could help

I started my new diet plan the other day, going for 2700 calories.

The diet I picked was one from bodybuilding.com, a teens 12 week trainer. (of course, I'd be on the diet allot longer than 12 weeks)

this is it. Bodybuilding.com - Male Teen Muscle Building Video Guide

I understand that what I need to do is establish a starting point, and move on and tweak things from there once I know where I'm at. However, I want to get it generally right, and not way off like some where suggesting it we're.

I understand everyone has differing opinions on what is the right ay to do something, and what's the wrong way. However, these opinions normally only differ slightly, and all end up heading towards the same result.

Steve gave me a great analogy today.

Someone wants to climb a mountain, and when he or she askes people who have been there and climbed said mountain, they all had differing approaches they took to get there, even though they all came out with the same result.

This makes sense, although if I am in fact way off with the diet, like some we're suggesting, then I'm not going to reach that goal, because what I'm doing isn't a variation of many ways to get there, its a blockade.

Basically, I don't know weather I'm eating too many carbs. Someone said there was no way I should be eating that many, so I'd like to get some opinions on weather this is an OK diet, or weather the macros and portion sizes need tweaking and how to do it.

I tried to PM you BtB but it wasn't working for some reason so I wrote this thread up instead.
Seen as this is an actual thread now rather than a PM as it should've, to the others who've also like Steve really gone out of their way to help me through this (you know who you are)
I'd appreciate your input too as I know you and BtB think on the same lines, If you have time and are willing to help me once again of course (that goes for btb too, don't want you to spend time helping me if your busy)

What I do want to avoid now that this has gone public though is the criticism.
I'd like maybe to just go one thread without being criticized for annoying people,over complicating things, or not listening.

I'm trying my best to understand.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 06-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post

Basically, I don't know weather I'm eating too many carbs.

Someone said there was no way I should be eating that many, so I'd like to get some opinions on weather this is an OK diet, or weather the macros and portion sizes need tweaking and how to do it.
There was nothing of that nature in the last thread, so was this a message via PM or something?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
There was nothing of that nature in the last thread, so was this a message via PM or something?
Someone said it in the shout box when I asked weather the oats from the diet should be cooked or raw.

Only an opinion of course, but a pretty big statement to say there was no way I should be eating that many, so I thought I better check to see what was up.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Someone said it in the shout box when I asked weather the oats from the diet should be cooked or raw.

Only an opinion of course, but a pretty big statement to say there was no way I should be eating that many, so I thought I better check to see what was up.
Well, there are those that think low-carb is the way to go, those that think higher-carb is right, those that think high-protein is correct and a whole host of other ideals in between.

It might have helped had whoever said it given an example of altering the diet (above) to what they thought should be the correct carb intake in relation to their ideals.

As you know, I don't go in for all of that, I just eat...

...but, you're getting 165g protein and Steve suggested aiming for 200g (I think you said)...so, it's not that far out...and you have to make up the calories somewhere, so if they're not being made up from protein or fat then you have to use carbs to accomplish it...and at the moment, it's better for you to get a basically good diet going than worrying about all the minuscule variations that are out there, which you can worry about later down the road, if you need to.

IMO, you won't see negative or restricted growth results with the above diet, but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

Linden, I usually shoot for somewhere in the 1- 1.5 grams of protein to body weight formula... that diet has alota carbs in it, but I don't think it will hurt you too much. it looks like a good place to start.

I say try it for a month and pay attention to what your body is doing and then make small changes if needed. I think that is probally your best bet, as everyones body reacts differently to different diets.

Good luck, and go get some

NT
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Well, there are those that think low-carb is the way to go, those that think higher-carb is right, those that think high-protein is correct and a whole host of other ideals in between.

It might have helped had whoever said it given an example of altering the diet (above) to what they thought should be the correct carb intake in relation to their ideals.

As you know, I don't go in for all of that, I just eat...

...but, you're getting 165g protein and Steve suggested aiming for 200g (I think you said)...so, it's not that far out...and you have to make up the calories somewhere, so if they're not being made up from protein or fat then you have to use carbs to accomplish it...and at the moment, it's better for you to get a basically good diet going than worrying about all the minuscule variations that are out there, which you can worry about later down the road, if you need to.

IMO, you won't see negative or restricted growth results with the above diet, but that's just my opinion.

Right I see.

Yeah you just reminded me that Steve recommended a minimum 200 grams of protein, so maybe I could try and find a way to get that in.
I know I'm not too far off anyway at 165g, but obviously its going to be better if I get the full 200.
That way I could make up the 2700 cals with some more protein and get rid of some of the carbs. (because there pretty hard to eat anyway, 1.5 cups of dry oats isn't great.)

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post
Linden, I usually shoot for somewhere in the 1- 1.5 grams of protein to body weight formula... that diet has alota carbs in it, but I don't think it will hurt you too much. it looks like a good place to start.

I say try it for a month and pay attention to what your body is doing and then make small changes if needed. I think that is probally your best bet, as everyones body reacts differently to different diets.

Good luck, and go get some

NT
Thanks for the advice NT

Pretty much what btb said about watching and paying attention to how your body reacts so I should be on the right track here.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Linden,
There is a ton of misinformation and opinions out there. I believe the best piece of advice I can give you (overall) is to pick a person or two and listen/ask ONLY THEM for advice and feedback.

For example, if you are following BTB's advice about training and diet, don't open your program up to inspection by others (I'm not talking about anyone on this site. I presume the "Too many carbs talk" came from someplace else).

I can say from experience, that when I focused my attention on a single voice (or a few: BTB, JB, Brute, LtL), I made the best gains. When there was a question and I didn't have the answer, BTB would dig one up for me if he didn't have ideas off the top of his head. He'd usually ask the people he trusts (which made my circle of trusted advice bigger).

I don't think that formula can steer you wrong.

90% of people giving advice on the internet haven't done 15% of what they talk about. It's just people parroting.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
mr_bigmuscles
Max Brawn
Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: about a year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: meat
mr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributor

The main problem with that BB.com diet is it's boring as hell. Who eats 4oz of anything?

You're a teenager, and male. You are perfectly situated to gain strength and muscle really really fast, unless you have some medical problem we don't know about.

According to the calculator you linked, you're <150lbs. I think you need to worry less about macro distributions and calorie counts - it's pointless unless you have a food scale anyhow - and more about eating enough.

I am not very strong, and probably not qualified to give advice. I do think there's one thing most really strong people will agree on though - a guy in your position needs to eat like mad.

Eat whatever lets you eat as much as possible. 4-6 meals a day, lots and lots of protein (two fist-sized portions at every meal, which you eat first), plenty of fibrous carbs i.e. salad. For starchy carbs, forget oats, they taste like dirt and you'll quickly grow tired of them. Hell it sounds like you're already tired of them. Go for rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat toast: stuff that tastes good that you can eat a lot of. Wolf down a meat-lover's pizza after your training sessions. Okay, maybe not every one, but sometimes.

If I were you, I'd look to gain 1-2lbs a week for the next 6 months. Diet off the fat (it will be easy at your age) and you will have a good strong base. You can't chisel a pebble, as Arnold said.

Good luck man. Wish I'd started at your age. Oh and did you ever build those squat stands?

Log

Last edited by mr_bigmuscles; 06-19-2013 at 08:13 AM.
mr_bigmuscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Linden,
There is a ton of misinformation and opinions out there. I believe the best piece of advice I can give you (overall) is to pick a person or two and listen/ask ONLY THEM for advice and feedback.
Yeah, that seems to be where I'm going wrong, your right. I'll only listen to the people I know and trust.

Quote:
For example, if you are following BTB's advice about training and diet, don't open your program up to inspection by others (I'm not talking about anyone on this site. I presume the "Too many carbs talk" came from someplace else).
No, it was in fact someone on here that said this. (I don't go anywhere else other than here for lifting advice)

I was following btb's advice and just had a simple question. Weather my oats should be cooked or dried, and that question opened up a whole can of worms, everyone jumping in saying I was eating too many carbs.

I wasn't aware a simple question like that could be turned on its head in such a way.

Quote:
I can say from experience, that when I focused my attention on a single voice (or a few: BTB, JB, Brute, LtL), I made the best gains. When there was a question and I didn't have the answer, BTB would dig one up for me if he didn't have ideas off the top of his head. He'd usually ask the people he trusts (which made my circle of trusted advice bigger).

I don't think that formula can steer you wrong.
Yep. Thats the key I guess.

Quote:
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice MC , helped allot