Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   rack chins vs pull ups (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14010)

leefarley 06-11-2013 09:20 AM

rack chins vs pull ups

what do you guys or gals think of rack chins compared to pull ups.

Bill 06-11-2013 09:23 AM

what's a rack chin?

Off Road 06-11-2013 09:39 AM

I like rack pull-ups for two reasons.

1. I can do high rep work because my fat ass can't do that many pull-ups.
2. They target the lats more directly, you can really focus on them at that angle.

The one downfall is it's harder to add weight to them, you have to balance weight plates in your lap.

I usually do a couple of sets of chin-ups and then finish off with a couple of sets of rack pull-ups.

BigJosh 06-11-2013 09:50 AM

Rack chins are great if you either are to weak or fat to do pull ups or if you can't do many pull ups and need to get some reps in on the vertical pulling plane. See my log for examples.

5kgLifter 06-11-2013 10:44 AM

Is a rack chin like an inverted row?

BigJosh 06-11-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 373651)
Is a rack chin like an inverted row?

I believe they are similar.
My understanding is that an inverted row involves the feet being straight out on the floor (heels down, toes facing ceiling), and the upper body close to parallel to the floor, chest facing up towards ceiling, back towards ground. This creates a pull on the horizontal plane.
Rack chins on the other hand, involve the feet being up on a bench and the upper body being more upright or perpindicular to the ground. This creates a pull in the vertical plane.

Squatter 06-11-2013 11:06 AM

I love rack chins/pull ups as a finisher after pull ups. My lats are always on fire after-wards and there has been transference to my pull ups. Another reason I do them is that I hate doing negatives on pullups.:)

5kgLifter 06-11-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 373653)
I believe they are similar.
My understanding is that an inverted row involves the feet being straight out on the floor (heels down, toes facing ceiling), and the upper body close to parallel to the floor, chest facing up towards ceiling, back towards ground. This creates a pull on the horizontal plane.
Rack chins on the other hand, involve the feet being up on a bench and the upper body being more upright or perpindicular to the ground. This creates a pull in the vertical plane.

Oh right, that's probably part of the confusion for me; I've seen inverted rows with progressions which go from floor to bench and above etc but never heard the term rack chins.

Dray 06-11-2013 12:59 PM

Well, the only things I can think of would be a potentially different angle (depends how you do them of course), and therefore slightly different muscle emphasis, and relative to pullups, rack chins put you at a mechanical advantage overall, so a person logically should be able to do more and/or heavier reps. Simliar to chinups being mechanically advantageous relative to pullups, only more so.

Personally, I think all these things are good. Weighted, unweighted, whatever angles and grips. Actually, inverted rows are also good - throw on a good weight vest, and they're suddenly not so "easy" after all.

Why not do both, IMO. For the record, I don't, but mostly because it's tricky getting hold of a (okay, THE) rack at the best of times as it is, lol.