Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Maybe it'd do me good to see some people who have been through what I'm trying to do.

So I could see how much fat they gained.

Visual evidence would likely go along way.

Bulking progress, before and afters, etc;

I don't know where to find them tough, any ideas?

A normal person would take your word for it, but having OCD, I'd like to see what your saying in action, that way I'd believe it.

Not saying your advice is wrong, I'd never think that. Just visual evidence might help me understand things a bit better.

you are not going to find what you are looking for.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Forgive me since I haven't followed you in here. But, just from what I can gather from this thread I only have one thing to say.

You will have a FAR MORE DIFFICULT time gaining the muscle that you desire than losing any small amount of fat that you will aquire. I'm almost 50 and just now having a little trouble losing fat anytime I want.

Concentrate on gaining muscle!

Eat smart (big in your case), train hard, rest a lot, enjoy life, and don't stress.

And do this consistanly. Oh how I wish I had taken my own advice.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
Forgive me since I haven't followed you in here. But, just from what I can gather from this thread I only have one thing to say.

You will have a FAR MORE DIFFICULT time gaining the muscle that you desire than losing any small amount of fat that you will aquire. I'm almost 50 and just now having a little trouble losing fat anytime I want.

Concentrate on gaining muscle!

Eat smart (big in your case), train hard, rest a lot, enjoy life, and don't stress.

And do this consistanly. Oh how I wish I had taken my own advice.

Makes sense.

Thanks
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
you are not going to find what you are looking for.

Why not?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I thought you had a good idea of what you needed to do already? We aren't starting at square one again are we?

Lift heavy, get stronger, eat 250-500 extra calories a week, and get at least 150g of protein a day. Do it religiously for a few months, then reassess where you are, with a little help from us, and go forward from there.

I swear, that's all there is to it. Give it time and great things will happen.

Changing your body is a journey. I've been fat, "thin" (relatively speaking), muscular, weak but fast, strong but slow, and pretty much everything in between in my years, and my goals are always shifting and changing. There will never be a day where you look in the mirror and say "Yup, I did it, I'm done. Now all I have to do is maintain." It'll never happen, but that's ok. Every day that you look in the mirror there will be something else about you that you want to change or tweak a little, and the journey continues. The fun is in the journey, not the destination.

Last edited by Soldier; 06-10-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Why not?
Having visual evidence that applies specifically to your situation will be almost impossible to find. I'm sorry my friend, you're just going to have to trust us for now.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Found some bulking progress pictures.

Heres the first one.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6695783&page=1

The guy was 116 pounds, even skinner than I am, with by the looks of it a similar body fat percentage as myself.

6 months into a bulk, he's at 146 pounds. If I gained that much fat and looked like him in the after picture after bulking, I wouldn't be happy, I'd be miserable because I made myself look worse. Fatter. He doesn't look good to me.

Because of my body fat percentage. Around 14 %. If I bulked for 6 months, aiming for 2 pounds of weight gain a month, thats 12 pounds. 6 of them which is likely to be fat if the ratio is 1:1 like allot have said. (I know there are many variables, but estimated)

At my current weight and height, just over a pound of fat would result in 1% of body fat.
Estimated, that'd put me at 20% body fat.

That would NOT make me look better, I know that for a fact.

So if 6 of those 12 pounds is fat, 6 pounds would be muscle...Although I wouldn't be able to see that muscle because I'd have a higher body fat percentage, like the guy in the picture. (Although he's clearly gained some muscle, it'd be mistaken as fat for most people seeing his transformation not knowing he was "bulking". If I saw his body in a changing room, I wouldn't think "oh, he must be bulking".)

Of coarse, as long as the muscle gain was more than the fat gain, I should be ok.

But it seems common knowledge on the internet, and from looking a peoples transformations and weight gain on here, that you either gain a 2:1 ration of muscle to fat (fat been the higher number), or a 1:1 with equal amounts of both.

Jim's post in this thread above shows this. He put on 50 pounds, and cut 30 of it. Which is great for someone who's not a model, but for me, if a higher percentage of the weight I gained was fat rather than muscle, it'd be entirely counter productive.

I don't know what's true. Everyone seems to tell me different things.

Now heres another transformation

7 months bulking progress pic's - Bodybuilding.com Forums

This man gained 23 pounds in 7 months. His body fat percentage was very low when he started as you can see, so the fat he gained during that 7 month bulk, didn't make him look fat. I'd be perfectly happy looking like him after a bulk. He says keeps things as clean as possible.

I feel the cause of all this apart from my OCD, the cause of my worries, is the fact that my body fat percentage is higher, so gaining a few pounds of fat would be noticeable, and put me into that category of skinny fat while bulking, rather than, bulking ,getting bigger, and gaining a little fat along the way.

I'd end up like the guy in the first transformation, or actually worse because I weigh more than him from the get go (when he started his bulk he was 116 pounds)

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a prob;em with fat gain if I'd turn out like the guy in thhe second bulk, but I'm guessing he ended up like that because he had a low bodyfat percentage to start with.

I remember a few months back BTB posted a teens transformation from critically skinny, to ripped and muscular.

I E-mailed him, and again he said he had a very low body fat percentage, so the fat he gained didn't matter.

5k posted a thread up about muscle models, who keep their fat down and stay lean year round, but again, they were ripped with a single digit body fat percentage from the get go, so any fat they gained during a bulk wouldn't matter.

Looking at tons and tons of transformations, I'm consistently seeing that the people who are leaner with a 8-12 % body fat, are the ones that achieve what I'm trying to do, bulk, and look relatively lean afterwards. The guy in the second bulk, finished his bulk at around the same body fat as I have now!

I trust your advice.

Your the most well informed, non judgemental, motivating people Iv'e ever come accross, and the way youv'e welcomed me into your group and helped me I'll never forget. I have the best information in the world, and everything I need to do this.

Its the fear stopping me.

I truly do understand your frustration with me. You've put allot of time into helping me, and to you it just seems I don't listen, and I don't do.

I do listen, and I really am trying my best to get over this fear but its just so difficult.

I don't know what else to do. Some of the people that have helped me beofre have gotten sick of me and gone, and you'll do the same, which I completly understand.

If only some of you were here in my area and I could pay you to train me.

I don't have anybody to train with, the only person anything close to a workout partner is my dad, that comes in to spot my bench pressing.

Your all about keeping things simple on here, and I don't understand how I've complicated everything.

For example I was told earlier that most the calories I consume should be going towards building muscle, a 2:1 ratio where muscle was the higer number and fat was the one.

Then Squatter said above that he gained 50 pounds, and cut 30 of it, meaning he must've gained 20 pounds of muscle and 30 pounds of fat, which appears to contradict the first statment.

It wont have done. And yet again I'll be wrong, and will likely be accused of not listening again, just to me allot of things seem to contradict.

I'll no doubt be wrong about that, and the other things I'm getting confused about.
Its almost like I have too much info, an then my OCD spins it around and around and around.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Having visual evidence that applies specifically to your situation will be almost impossible to find. I'm sorry my friend, you're just going to have to trust us for now.
I do trust you, I just thought it'd be nice to see it too.

Never mind though.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
I thought you had a good idea of what you needed to do already? We aren't starting at square one again are we?
So did I. Not square one. It getting better, and I know (even if it doesn't seem it) I've come along way in getting rid of my worries thinks to all your advice.

Quote:
Lift heavy, get stronger, eat 250-500 extra calories a week, and get at least 150g of protein a day. Do it religiously for a few months, then reassess where you are, with a little help from us, and go forward from there.
I'm trying, I know. I'll do my best.

Quote:
I swear, that's all there is to it. Give it time and great things will happen.
Your right man. I guess there's nothing more I can do anyway than hope for the best.

Quote:
Changing your body is a journey. I've been fat, "thin" (relatively speaking), muscular, weak but fast, strong but slow, and pretty much everything in between in my years, and my goals are always shifting and changing. There will never be a day where you look in the mirror and say "Yup, I did it, I'm done. Now all I have to do is maintain." It'll never happen, but that's ok. Every day that you look in the mirror there will be something else about you that you want to change or tweak a little, and the journey continues.
Your certainly the right people to be listening to I know that much.
Like btb said, you'll have 5000 years of experience between you all on here!

Quote:
The fun is in the journey, not the destination.

I wish. For normal people yes. But for me, the journey is hell, I'm always worried.

It knocks my motivation as well.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

When I first went into this I was so exited. I was under the impression I was just going to eat and lift, and that'd be it, with no worries.

such a shame my OCD latched onto this fear.