Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #51
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
ok fair enough, have you logged it ?

I started logging at home in my note book seen as I'll likely get criticized if I continue to log it on here.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #52
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I started logging at home in my note book seen as I'll likely get criticized if I continue to log it on here.
log it here at Mab, I have never criticized your workout or know one else that I know of.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #53
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
But thats where your wrong. That advice is what I've based my training on.
I don't see where everyone gets this idea from that I don't pay attention.

Does it occur to you that its me stupidly confusing and complicating things rather than me actually not listening?
The two different opinions that seems to confuse you are -

a) it is possible to stay lean while putting on some muscle
b) you need to bulk, during which you will gain fat and then cut down

They are not exactly conflicting. Option (a) leads to veryslow gains. You can opt for (a), but that way be prepared to spend the next half a decade, probably more before you get close to your goal. Option (b) leads to quicker gains, but with more fat added along the way. You choose what you want.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #54
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

^ Heh, yeah. I kinda forgot to add that recomp is a long haul ONLY proposition. That's for sure. Not a quick fix, ever.

Only based on what I've experienced so far, some of what I've read, and again, some anecdotal stuff. But still, it seems to hold true, thus far. As in, it is doable, but it does take time. A lot of time.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #55
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
The two different opinions that seems to confuse you are -

a) it is possible to stay lean while putting on some muscle
b) you need to bulk, during which you will gain fat and then cut down

They are not exactly conflicting. Option (a) leads to veryslow gains. You can opt for (a), but that way be prepared to spend the next half a decade, probably more before you get close to your goal. Option (b) leads to quicker gains, but with more fat added along the way. You choose what you want.

Really?

So you think it'd really take me over a decade to get the body I wan't?

Are you sure your not mistaking my goals for something bigger?
The guy I aspire to look like put on around 15 pounds of muscle, in a year.
which you'll know isn't allot in the grand scheme of things. He'll look small compared to all of you.
He looks ripped and muscular which is what I'm after.
I have no desire to be "huge"

I was under the impression I'd be able to achieve that within a couple of years. Whilst maintaining a sub 15% body fat.

I wasn't aware it was that black and white.

If I aimed for 1-2 pounds a month of overall weight gain, thats 24 pounds in a year.
I've been told I should expect about a 2-1 ratio between muscle and fat gain, muscle been the higher percentage.

If I put on 2 pounds a month, not much of that 2 pounds would be fat, and should be mostly muscle gains. Even if it was mostly fat, say 5 pounds of fat one pound of muscle (wouldn't happen like that I'd hope) over the period of 3 months with a 2 pound weight gain each month, that'd be easy to get rid of if it was noticeable. I could do a mini cut, and then resume my bulk straight
away.

I wasn't thinking I could eliminate fat completely, but keep it to a minimum, so that its not really noticeable on my face, and if it is its only a few pounds and would be easy to take a couple of weeks away from my bulk too get back to where I was.
I build muscle, and I keep my job.

To me it seems a good deal, but you seem to think I'll either have to gain quite a bit of fat to get noticeable and decent muscle gains, or gain minimal to no fat, but have incredibly slow progress that it'll take me over half a decade to get anywhere near my desired physique.

I've never been told that before. Always that I could remain relatively lean year round.

If what you say is true, then there's really no point in doing this at all is there.

I either get un-noticeable muscle gains for all my hard work, or get fat, lose my job, look crap for the prime years of my life when I want to look my best. But hey - I'll have allot of muscle.

They both seem like crappy deals to me.

So I assume I've misunderstood you because allot of other people have been telling me otherwise.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #56
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quoting from the very first post in this thread.

Quote:
(I'd be more than happy to have David Haye's body!)
This set the context for the replies. To me, that statement suggests that Haye's physique seems to be at least close to your goals

And then in the above post you say -

Quote:
Really?
So you think it'd really take me over a decade to get the body I wan't?
Are you sure your not mistaking my goals for something bigger?
The guy I aspire to look like put on around 15 pounds of muscle

I was under the impression I'd be able to achieve that within a couple of years. Whilst maintaining a sub 15% body fat.
Well, I hope you realize now why everyone has been replying the way they have. Your goal is nowhere near Haye, but the first post set everyone (or at least myself) on the wrong track.

15 lbs in the first year of training at the age of 16, staying under 15% fat, with your current physique is a realistic goal. Realistic. Not easy, but with hard work, its realistic nonetheless.

Anyway, good luck. I am out of this thread now.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #57
leefarley
Max Brawn

leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
See though Lee there's another one of those contradictions. You say they stay lean because of their training, while others have said he's fatter at camp, and cuts up before a fight.

How can I base my opinions when everyone has a different one.

I also never said once I wanted to look like him, I just asked about him along with other athletes and what they do for training and diet. Thats all.

Then people think I've asked for something else and get annoyed.
you don't get it do you, some boxers stay only 7lbs to 14lbs over there fighting weight others can up to 20-30lbs over there fight weight but they all get down in weight with there training, go to a boxing club and see how they train.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #58
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

to add my 2 cents

I can tell you from my experience that a lot of fighters do gain fat while adding muscle, and train with weights in the off season, then towards competition they cut, and get lean to make weight, ease of the weight training and up the cardio & conditioning.

also, when wearing clothes a lot of fighters look like average Joe, its only when you see them in the ring that you appreciate their muscle tone. and it can often look bigger that it acutely is, being ripped makes an illusion of being really jacked.

Last edited by syn; 06-04-2013 at 03:59 PM.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #59
leefarley
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
to add my 2 cents

I can tell you from my experience that a lot of fighters do gain fat while adding muscle, and train with weights in the off season, then towards competition they cut, and get lean to make weight, ease of the weight training and up the cardio & conditioning.

also, when wearing clothes a lot of fighters look like average Joe, its only when you see them in the ring that you appreciate their muscle tone. and it can often look bigger that it acutely is, being ripped makes an illusion of being really jacked.
took the words right out of my mouth

I couldn't be bothered to explain it.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #60
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Linden, if you think you can increase muscle mass with minmal fat gain, you should give it a shot. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something.
I think in order to achieve that goal of noticable muscle mass with minimal fat gain will take a meticulous approach to what you eat. If you are disciplined and organized enough for that, go for it. There is no need for you to look like crap in the prime of you life.
Taking this approach, don't expect to blow up overnight, because it isn't going to happen. Also, keep in mind in order to keep fat gain down, you will have to modulate a bit, meaning bulk up a little for sometime, and cut a little for sometime. It can be done IMO. It's not something I would attempt, but if you think you can do it give it a shot.

And guys, keep it respectful in here, there is no need to talk down to one another or be belligerant. If you are getting frustrated, don't post, simple as that.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote