Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Lagging Chest, Strong Lifts And Starting Strnegth

Posting for discussion.

Scooby says that folks who do Stronglifts, Starting Strength and other 5x5s have lagging chests because they don't do squeezing exercises such as flyes.

Thoughts?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-03-2013 at 10:37 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

When I do DB Incline bench, I do rotate the DB's as I lift them so that my palms are facing and then squeeze the pecs. Not sure if it works or not tho. However, it's no problem to do it, so I do. I have always been of the opinion that stretching the pecs is of utmost importance tho, which I do by hanging from my pull up bar as much as possible throughout the session.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

After watching this video I am left with the impression that while this video is about chest development on the surface, it carries an underlying theme of Pro four day split style training and anti fullbody,A/B, Upper/Lower, etc.
IMO, all these styles including four day split have a place and have pros and cons.

I can't argue with his results, he has built some muscle and is lean, but he seems to be regurgitating the "information" we've read for years from the fitness magazines. Which to me is a big red flag. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at, but his chest always seemed like a gyno case to me.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

I do bar dips and they do a good job of stretching the pecs.

I agree with big josh Scooby does seem anti full body A/B type programmes.

Last edited by leefarley; 06-10-2013 at 03:48 AM.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Didn't watch the clip, Scooby makes me nauseous. . .

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I'm bored

Since Bar Dips were mentioned, I do believe that Bar Dips are a superior mass building exercise for the chest. The "Bros" want to dismiss it as a triceps exercise but it is much more than that. It will thicken the chest, arms and shoulders like nothing else. The position will allow you to move a lot more weight than in the Bench Press, and moving weight for reps is what you want to build size.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Stronglifts and starting strength are for beginners when any chest exercise will cause growth and flies would just take away from recovery for the next workout Agree about the dips too, always leave my chest sore

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by OHDL; 06-10-2013 at 09:12 AM.
OHDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Didn't watch the clip, Scooby makes me nauseous. . .

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I'm bored

Since Bar Dips were mentioned, I do believe that Bar Dips are a superior mass building exercise for the chest. The "Bros" want to dismiss it as a triceps exercise but it is much more than that. It will thicken the chest, arms and shoulders like nothing else. The position will allow you to move a lot more weight than in the Bench Press, and moving weight for reps is what you want to build size.
I agree, I don't like Scooby, I am 100% confident that bar dips made me more stronger on the bench, I did the reeves classic full body for a while as you my now there is a lot dip work in that routine, well cut a long story short I believe that routine made me a stronger on the bench press because of all the dip work I was doing.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I didn't watch the video, but that's retarded. I've always had a massive chest built primarily by bench pressing. And your hardly squeezing the muscle when you do flies, seeing as by that point in the movement you aren't even moving the weight against the force of gravity.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Coming up I used the combo of bench press and dips. It always worked really well for my chest size. I started dabbling with incline variations in about 1996.

The simplicity of bench and dips worked. I added in pec dec as a finisher back then because flyes always bother my shoulders.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at, but his chest always seemed like a gyno case to me.
I don't think that's gyno, though he does have a slightly weird chest. Maybe some age-related sag?

As far as I know, gyno looks more like a localised puffiness round the nipple, like this shot of Franco.

Personally I like flyes for chest development (or I did), but there seem to be plenty of guys around with huge chests that don't go near them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	franco_columbu_029.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	9344  

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by Tannhauser; 06-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote