Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Lagging Chest, Strong Lifts And Starting Strnegth (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13918)

BendtheBar 06-03-2013 10:34 AM

Lagging Chest, Strong Lifts And Starting Strnegth

Posting for discussion.

Scooby says that folks who do Stronglifts, Starting Strength and other 5x5s have lagging chests because they don't do squeezing exercises such as flyes.

Thoughts?

Squatter 06-03-2013 10:57 AM

When I do DB Incline bench, I do rotate the DB's as I lift them so that my palms are facing and then squeeze the pecs. Not sure if it works or not tho. However, it's no problem to do it, so I do. I have always been of the opinion that stretching the pecs is of utmost importance tho, which I do by hanging from my pull up bar as much as possible throughout the session.

BigJosh 06-03-2013 11:24 AM

After watching this video I am left with the impression that while this video is about chest development on the surface, it carries an underlying theme of Pro four day split style training and anti fullbody,A/B, Upper/Lower, etc.
IMO, all these styles including four day split have a place and have pros and cons.

I can't argue with his results, he has built some muscle and is lean, but he seems to be regurgitating the "information" we've read for years from the fitness magazines. Which to me is a big red flag. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at, but his chest always seemed like a gyno case to me.

leefarley 06-10-2013 03:35 AM

I do bar dips and they do a good job of stretching the pecs.

I agree with big josh Scooby does seem anti full body A/B type programmes.

Off Road 06-10-2013 09:01 AM

Didn't watch the clip, Scooby makes me nauseous. . .

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I'm bored :)

Since Bar Dips were mentioned, I do believe that Bar Dips are a superior mass building exercise for the chest. The "Bros" want to dismiss it as a triceps exercise but it is much more than that. It will thicken the chest, arms and shoulders like nothing else. The position will allow you to move a lot more weight than in the Bench Press, and moving weight for reps is what you want to build size.

OHDL 06-10-2013 09:09 AM

Stronglifts and starting strength are for beginners when any chest exercise will cause growth and flies would just take away from recovery for the next workout Agree about the dips too, always leave my chest sore :)

leefarley 06-10-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 373181)
Didn't watch the clip, Scooby makes me nauseous. . .

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I'm bored :)

Since Bar Dips were mentioned, I do believe that Bar Dips are a superior mass building exercise for the chest. The "Bros" want to dismiss it as a triceps exercise but it is much more than that. It will thicken the chest, arms and shoulders like nothing else. The position will allow you to move a lot more weight than in the Bench Press, and moving weight for reps is what you want to build size.

I agree, I don't like Scooby, I am 100% confident that bar dips made me more stronger on the bench, I did the reeves classic full body for a while as you my now there is a lot dip work in that routine, well cut a long story short I believe that routine made me a stronger on the bench press because of all the dip work I was doing.

Soldier 06-10-2013 09:43 AM

I didn't watch the video, but that's retarded. I've always had a massive chest built primarily by bench pressing. And your hardly squeezing the muscle when you do flies, seeing as by that point in the movement you aren't even moving the weight against the force of gravity.

BendtheBar 06-10-2013 10:06 AM

Coming up I used the combo of bench press and dips. It always worked really well for my chest size. I started dabbling with incline variations in about 1996.

The simplicity of bench and dips worked. I added in pec dec as a finisher back then because flyes always bother my shoulders.

Tannhauser 06-10-2013 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 370637)
Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at, but his chest always seemed like a gyno case to me.

I don't think that's gyno, though he does have a slightly weird chest. Maybe some age-related sag?

As far as I know, gyno looks more like a localised puffiness round the nipple, like this shot of Franco.

Personally I like flyes for chest development (or I did), but there seem to be plenty of guys around with huge chests that don't go near them.