Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Squat "bounce" (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13904)

GT55 06-02-2013 01:56 AM

Squat "bounce"

Hey guys. i read 'starting strength' and now im trying to incorporate the form guidelines into my exercises. I don't have problems getting to below parallel on a squat, actually sink further. But I don't get any bounce from tight hamstrings, and find it hard to get out of the hole. I wouldn't mind but the weights I'm lifting are pathetic, same as I bench. I can deadlift almost twice as much. Is this a beginner thing? Or should I just shut up and squat:)

fenrisulfr 06-02-2013 04:19 AM

I wonder how tight you are keeping posterior during descent. Also, the answer is always keep squatting.

LtL 06-02-2013 05:10 AM

You need to drop fairly fast to get rebound. Post a video of your squat and we can help.

Soldier 06-02-2013 07:43 AM

Yeah, with a video we'll be able to help more, and yes, the answer is squat more. You'll be surprised at what you'll start to figure out with a little advice and experience.

Personally, I also like to read as much as possible about form, but some people get overwhelmed when they do that.

storm1507 06-02-2013 07:43 AM

So for most people in a raw meet (just knee wraps) is it better to drop fast or slow?

GT55 06-02-2013 09:53 AM

Ok, thanks guys. I'll try a little more speed on the way down and get a vid done too. I've been meaning to that to see myself anyway.

MikeM 06-02-2013 10:40 AM

Doesn't take much to get that bounce, so be careful speeding up the descent. If you dive bomb it, you'll lose tightness and bury yourself.

A good way to start is to practice with a lightish weight and get tight, drop down normally, then just above parallel release your hip flexors and drop then, but keep abs/core tight. Just that small drop will get you a good bounce.

Chances are if you are going below parallel and getting off the bottom before getting stuck, you actually are getting a bounce, you just maybe don't recognize it or think it maybe should be more pronounced than it actually is.

More quad strength helps getting better off the bottom.

And yes, the answer is more squats! haha.

EliteDreams 06-02-2013 12:24 PM

For what its worth I completely agree with Mike. Raw lifters will get down faster and it just takes time to find your balance between staying tight with big weights and descending fast enough. Everyones different. I always do my warmups real slow and as the weights go up, I get faster. More squats!

Soldier 06-02-2013 12:54 PM

Personally, I lift both raw and equipped, and both are completely different. I don't even treat them like the same lift. For both lifts I start slowly, focusing on sequencing (Butt back, knees out, etc.) but about 60% down things change. For a raw the decent is still slow and controlled, but about 60% of the way down I drop hard. The feeling is that I'm dropping my torso between my legs. You HAVE to maintain your back arch. You say that you get below parallel fairly easy, which tells me that you aren't maximizing your back arch. This probably has a lot to do with feeling like you aren't getting any pop out of the hole.

The thought I use to maximize my back arch is to face my belt towards the ground. The more my belt and my gut face the ground, the more arch I have. It creates a massive stretch in the posterior chain and definitely aids in getting out of the hole.

A squat is very much like a golf swing to me. If you set up correct and do everything right in the first few inches of the swing, everything else will just happen effortlessly. If you start a squat right, then your practice, strength, and instincts will kick in and everything else will just happen.

Of course, we can give much better input once you're able to get that video.

GT55 06-02-2013 02:04 PM

Whole load of things to keep in mind for tomorrow's workout! Super, great input guys. I'm a bit worried about the golf comparison though.