Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Doug Miller on IIFYM (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13801)

BendtheBar 05-23-2013 09:48 PM

Doug Miller on IIFYM

Doug Miller:

Quote:

I can't even count how many emails I have received about IIFYM and "clean" eating in the last month. I really should do a video on my opinion here because its probably too long for a Facebook post. BUT I will say this here: Yes, you can eat poptarts, hohos, Ben and Jerry's, etc during contest prep and still get ripped. BUT....it doesn't make you "cooler" than the guy eating "clean." I'm sick and tired of all of the posts lately bashing on people who CHOSE to eat "clean" because they like the way it makes them feel and perform. Next person who calls someone a BRO because he/she eats clean, I'm going to open fist slap LOL.

Also, just because you can get ripped by eating ding dongs, doesn't mean its ideal or optimal. I have seen it first and in hundreds of clients, "bro food" can help achieve a harder/granite looking physique. I like studies and science just as much as anyone, but I won't/can't point to single end all be all study showing if one method of dieting is better than the other. That doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. For me, when its contest prep time, say good bye to the processed junk. Occasionally in the growing season it is fine, and in fact I think it can be beneficial (for a number of reason) to eat some junk, but 90%+ of your food should be from non-processed "clean" food even when not dieting down (for general health and also performance reasons). I know this will probably ruffle some feathers and cause some bunched panties but this is just once man's opinion. There, I said it. Let the haters hate. (And just to be clear, I'm not bashing anyone's approach to dieting. I am just giving my opinion and in fact have a great deal of respect for some of the people out there who may disagree with this).

bruteforce 05-23-2013 10:56 PM

I am still lost on how people can argue that eating processed food is better.

Dray 05-24-2013 06:44 AM

Selective blindness, as it were.

A most popular "ailment", for sure. :)

edit: Followers of the IIFYM cult, I mean.

5kgLifter 05-24-2013 07:28 AM

IIFYM?

I like the occasional pop tart or meringue pie, but I have to say that I prefer potatoes, meat and veggies over both of them; so, for me, and probably many others is not about eating clean it's about eating what we enjoy, it may be that the ones that enjoy it more are those that were raised on the standard dishes of their region way before lots of processed foods swamped the markets...the time when you could only get 3 flavours of crisps (chips), cheese and onion, salt and vinegar, and plain (and the little blue bag ones ;)).

MC 05-24-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 367026)
I am still lost on how people can argue that eating processed food is better.

They forget to add that part about all the gear they are taking, which mitigates the negative impact of the processed foods.

big_swede 05-24-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC (Post 367140)
They forget to add that part about all the gear they are taking, which mitigates the negative impact of the processed foods.

Imo someone that is on gear needs to pay even more attention to eat clean due to the blood pressure and cholesterol issues! It might not get them fat to eat like shit, but it might get them dead in the long run!

I think he has a good point in what he writes!

Kleurplaay 06-28-2013 03:24 PM

This article is about as backwards as it gets in my opinion. No one ever said that 'doing IIFYM' is cooler than eating 'clean'. It's those who are eating 'clean' that are always bashing that people who 'IIFYM' have no DISCIPLINE and it won't work. Seriously:
Just because you're putting effort into something doesn't automatically mean that that is the best way. I'm sorry but PAIN does not always equal GAIN.

I'm sure eating CLEAN started as something good but a lot of people have interpreted it as dry rice/chicken/broccoli 8 times a day. I'll also bet that about 70% of people who can't eat enough could easily eat enough, but have been brainwashed into thinking that anything with a lot of carbs or any fatty foods are the devil and will instantly destroy all your gains.

The problem with eating 'clean' and 'IIFYM' is that people interpret it in different ways.
-'IIFYM' is not about stuffing your face with as much chocolate, cheese and poptarts as possible.

-Eating 'clean' isn't about eating rice/broccoli/chicken 8 times a day.

People, and athlethes especially it seems, seem to have forgotten about one of the most important things when it comes to making decission: COMMON SENSE

Also very strong misconception of what science is about by the writer.
Quote:

I like studies and science just as much as anyone, but I won't/can't point to single end all be all study showing if one method of dieting is better than the other.
Also cute prediction by the writer how his article will probably 'ruffle some feathers' or 'cause some bunched panties', using those words to try to convince his writers that the people who disagree with him are silly.
To end my rant. The fact that someone is succesful at something doesn't mean that that person knows everything there is to know about said 'something'. Most race car drivers probably don't know how exactly their car works, most basketball players probably don't have a very deep understanding of the mechanics of friction, gravity and other aspects of physics and a fair number of succesful bodybuilders/models/etc have stumbled upon ONE way to approach nutrition and will then sometimes claim that that is the ONLY good approach, whilst they know absolutely nothing about nutrition or human physiology.