Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

The only reason I didn't suggest Texas Method / Bill Starr / Madcow is because of this:

"I also stopped enjoying it and want to focus on both gaining strength AND bodybuilding esk training."

Not sure if some other posters might have missed that bit...?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
What he's saying is that your squat is strong enough now that your recovery ability can't keep up with squatting three times a week. To continue to squat heavy three times a week will cause further stalls and even regression. Don't keep banging your head against the wall, it's time to use the Heavy/Medium/Light method and keep that progress moving forward. It's NOT a change of routine, it's a more complex progression plan that you are ready for.
^^^This

I hurt myself really badly because I didn't evolve from Starting Strength when I should of. It's a great routine, but I think if one is going to push it too far they need a coach there watching them and telling them when to back off, when form is breaking down, etc. And that is simply not an option for 99% of us.
I never used the texas method, but it seems like a very prudent next step. You could also do Madcow 5x5. I did that routine, it was good, although when I compare it to the texas method I will admit the texas method is more appealing on paper.
If you are interested in a more "bodybuilder" type approach you could try a 3 day a week Heavy/Light/Medium full body. I actually have one specifically in mind if you are interested in the link.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Khamo
New Brawn
Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 months
Fav Exercise: Sqwat
Khamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good posts

Thanks for the input guys. I really appriciate it. I think im going to do a texas method type of training methodology where i would do a bodybuilding/light/heavy. Something like yt: watch?v=v6xqPWhpZb0

Squat - 315
Bench - 225
Deadlift - 350

GOT A LONG WAY TO GO

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. ~Buddha

Last edited by Khamo; 05-21-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Khamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Khamo
New Brawn
Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 months
Fav Exercise: Sqwat
Khamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I actually have one specifically in mind if you are interested in the link.
Yea man that would be great

Squat - 315
Bench - 225
Deadlift - 350

GOT A LONG WAY TO GO

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. ~Buddha
Khamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamo View Post
Yea man that would be great
Forget Steroids: 5 Full Body Workouts For Serious Gains | Muscle & Strength
The workout I am referring to is the second workout described in the article linked above, "The 20 Rep Squat HLM Full Body Workout". I've done it and I thought it was a great approach. There are also some other good full body routines in that article.
Let me know if you have any questions.

***edit**
To be honest, as I look at the routine, I kind of would like to do it again!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 05-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Epinephrine
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Forget Steroids: 5 Full Body Workouts For Serious Gains | Muscle & Strength
The workout I am referring to is the second workout described in the article linked above, "The 20 Rep Squat HLM Full Body Workout". I've done it and I thought it was a great approach. There are also some other good full body routines in that article.
Let me know if you have any questions.

***edit**
To be honest, as I look at the routine, I kind of would like to do it again!
I like the sound of that one, too. Widow makers on squats are brutal.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
gothamsreckoning
New Brawn
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2.5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Mixed Greens
gothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamo View Post
Here are my numbers

Squat 95lbs -> 225lbs
Deadlift 135lbs -> 285lbs
Bench 60lbs -> 135lbs
OHP 50lbs -> 95lbs

The numbers are my working sets. Squats,bench,OHP are 3x5 and Deadlift is 1x5
havent tested my maxes yet

I'm sure you could get higher numbers out of the novice program.
gothamsreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote