Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Didn't know you did modelling. Check out taurine supplements as it can help reduce water retention if you start to look puffy in the face.
Thanks brute, I'll bare that in mind if it comes to that.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

if you are gaining quality weight that has to be good imo.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I don't know how much weight I've gained though to know if its quality weight,if I have a ton of water to factor in too.

I don't see how I can judge weather I need to eat more or less by looking at how much weight I've gained, when I don't have a true representation.

For all I know, I might not be eating enough, and consequentially shooting my gains in strength and muscle in the foot, without even knowing it.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Lifting will make your weight fluctuate a little more throughout the day/week. Your holding more water now, like btb said. My weight can fluctuate upwards of 7 or 8lb in a day based on what I happened to eat and if I trained or didn't train, just based on water retention.

Also, carbs cause you to hold a little more water, so if you eat more or less carbs on a given day it can have a huge effect on your weight on the scale, even though you really don't look much different in the mirror.

Don't worry. Just stick to your plan for now. You're so aware of every little thing that nothing is going to sneek up on you, like gaining too much fat.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Lifting will make your weight fluctuate a little more throughout the day/week. Your holding more water now, like btb said. My weight can fluctuate upwards of 7 or 8lb in a day based on what I happened to eat and if I trained or didn't train, just based on water retention.

Also, carbs cause you to hold a little more water, so if you eat more or less carbs on a given day it can have a huge effect on your weight on the scale, even though you really don't look much different in the mirror.

Don't worry. Just stick to your plan for now. You're so aware of every little thing that nothing is going to sneek up on you, like gaining too much fat.

Thanks for the re-assurance.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I don't know how much weight I've gained though to know if its quality weight,if I have a ton of water to factor in too.

I don't see how I can judge weather I need to eat more or less by looking at how much weight I've gained, when I don't have a true representation.

For all I know, I might not be eating enough, and consequentially shooting my gains in strength and muscle in the foot, without even knowing it.
You'll need a little while longer to really get a handle on how you're responding to your plan. At that point you'll be able to adjust your intake to better suit your goals. I think 10lb added to the scale is a good indication at this point that you're on the right track.

Try not to get to worried, especially so early on. I know it's your nature, but try to remember that none of this is permanent. If you happen to gain a little too much fat, then you can take a couple months and get back to where you want to be. If you aren't quite eating enough to support good gains, then you can adjust it later on and it really won't be that big of a deal.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Just panicked a little when I noticed I've put on 10 pounds.
Okay, so, the interesting question is why are you not weighing yourself every week?

People do not, generally speaking, suddenly have a 10lbs weight gain, had you been weighing once a week, you would have noticed a minor increase in your weight week after week...to the second and more important question, would that have freaked you out?

You're going to have to start learning to divide weight gain by the amount of weeks it took to gain that weight. I think I already suggested you measure, chest, waist, biceps but since you say you look slimmer/bigger at certain times and it appears you don't really no whether it's your perception or reality of an increase or decrease in size, I guess you haven't been measuring.

With your OCD, unless you start measuring and taking weekly weigh-ins so that you know exactly what is going on, you will get nowhere; it's not good enough to say "I think I've gained mass" not weight but size (I mean), you have to know and if you base everything on assumptions...well.

Get on that scale and get that tape measure out! If you don't have either, I suggest you get one the next time you pass a shop. No excuses! C'mon...you either want this or you don't and you know you have OCD as an extra battle on your hands so learn to get around it.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:

At the end of the day so to speak if you have gained weight and you dont look fat in the mirror it is all good IMO, what you want to worry about is geting your lifts back up with the higher reps me and OR told you about that will insure it will be musculer weight gain.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Okay, so, the interesting question is why are you not weighing yourself every week?

People do not, generally speaking, suddenly have a 10lbs weight gain, had you been weighing once a week, you would have noticed a minor increase in your weight week after week...to the second and more important question, would that have freaked you out?

You're going to have to start learning to divide weight gain by the amount of weeks it took to gain that weight. I think I already suggested you measure, chest, waist, biceps but since you say you look slimmer/bigger at certain times and it appears you don't really no whether it's your perception or reality of an increase or decrease in size, I guess you haven't been measuring.

With your OCD, unless you start measuring and taking weekly weigh-ins so that you know exactly what is going on, you will get nowhere; it's not good enough to say "I think I've gained mass" not weight but size (I mean), you have to know and if you base everything on assumptions...well.

Get on that scale and get that tape measure out! If you don't have either, I suggest you get one the next time you pass a shop. No excuses! C'mon...you either want this or you don't and you know you have OCD as an extra battle on your hands so learn to get around it.

I was told before to weigh myself every month so thats what I've been doing.

I have been measuring though like you said. Half an inch bigger arms than before. With my waist I can't decide when to take the measurement so I haven't done it yet.
Though now it seems it'd be best to take it in the morning when most of the food I ate has been digested, when my stomach seems to be almost half the size it is during the day.

I feel as though I put weight on in my face, although that might be just me been worried to death about gaining weight in my face that its made me believe I have when I haven't.

Either way, getting around the OCD, is easier said than done.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 05-09-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Best time to do measurements and taking your weight is in the morning when you wake up, usually after you urinate.

That will be your "true" body weight, by true I mean it isn't affected by water weight and food intake. Unless you have to binge eat late in the evening before, that may skew things just a bit.

Your weight is definitely going to continue to fluctuate during the day based off your food and water intake, so make sure that whenever you are weighting yourself and taking measurements you're doing so under the same conditions every time or you're going to throw yourself off.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote