Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
startinglifter
New Brawn
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

startinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good posts
Default Please Help

I am just starting out, never lifted before. I am about 20 pounds overweight and I want to lose that first. Do I start with cardio and lift at the same time to get rid of that weight? Or do you think that by me being active and starting to lift, I should not worry about the 20 pounds until later?
startinglifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Can you provide some more background info first? Height & weight? Current activity level? Any fitness experience at all (lifting, cardio, etc.)? Do you work a manual labor job or are you sedentary most of the day? What's your diet like? What are your long-term goals (we already know your short-term goal)? Like are you interested in bodybuilding, getting stronger, etc.?
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Almost any extra info about yourself can help us help you.

I have some experience in your situation. I was morbidly obese at one point, weighing in at over 300lb. I lost the weight first, then built myself back up over a number of years. Yes, you should start lifting immediately. Lifting makes everything work better, wether your goal is fat loss, muscle gain, or some combination thereof. I went from 300+ down to just over 200lb in 1 year. Since then I've built myself back up to 235lb, with a very muscular build. I'm also much stronger now at 30 years old and 235lb than I was in high school at 275lb.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Yes, the guys are right, it's hard to say without more information. We've had guys say they were 20 lbs overweight and want to "cut", but when you see their pictures they are actually just normal weight and have zero muscle mass.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote