Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Progress problem

Youv'e all made it clear to me that I need to concentrate more on my training rather than diet.
I have diet covered now.
But my training has stalled somewhat.

I've been making good progress on the whole, but I've hit a wall recently.
I'm not sure how much weight I should be lifting anymore.

I feel I need to find a happy medium, between weight thats heavy enough for me to only complete 5 reps, and light enough for me to lift it whilst maintaining proper form.
It seems particularly on military press, the range of motion isn't much, the weight only goes just above my forehead, and after an hour and a half of watching Mark Rippetoe form videos, thats not how its done.

The problem is, if I go lower on the weights, I can go above 5 reps, which isn't what should be happening.

Its mainly military press, but I found on barbell rows too, that my range of motion isn't much.

As Off Road re-iterated,I'm not building muscle or strength, If I'm not increasing the weight each week.

I feel as though everything was going so well in terms of progression, and now I've taken a step backward.

What should I do?
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

you "have diet covered now"? lol. bro, in your other thread you said you eat 4 times a day and consume 20g of protein per meal. 80 grams of protein?!
you most certainly do not have diet covered.

you have received such an overwhelmingly positive reception on this site, and i've seen so many members give you quality advice on training and nutrition. all of the bases have been covered. i suggest you reread all the threads you've created because you've already asked extremely detailed questions and have received many extremely detailed responses. you can't expect people to constantly repeat the same things over and over ad infinitum.

i'm sorry, but i don't think any response anyone gives you will be enough for you. i don't think these threads are helpful for you at all, and i think you're micromanaging things to an unhealthy degree. i do not believe the approach you're using has resulted in success for anyone here.

edit: and i'd like to point out that in your other thread, you said you're the "skinny" guy on this site. no, you are not the skinny guy on this forum. i'm 5'8" and weighed 140 before i started lifting. i'm 185 now, and BtB and others would still consider me skinny. i'm on the same journey as you. you're not the only one who's had to work against skinny genetics, but i notice you brush aside a lot of what we tell you.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 05-01-2013 at 01:35 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Lift big, eat big, get big
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

There's been a time where my Bench and OH Press stayed the same. And theres been a time when my squat and deadlift stayed the same. But, after grinding it for a month or two they finally went up 5 or 10 pounds.

You don't really need to back down. Lets say your your overhead press is 100 pounds and you try to add 5lbs. If that extra 5lbs is a little too heavy for you. Keep repping out 100 pounds until you get better. Or lets say you added 5lbs and can only do 105 for 3 reps. Keep working at the weight until you can hit your goal for 5 reps.

Its all just a part of natural progression. Hope this gave you some insight.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
you "have diet covered now"? lol. bro, in your other thread you said you eat 4 times a day and consume 20g of protein per meal. 80 grams of protein?!
you most certainly do not have diet covered.

you have received such an overwhelmingly positive reception on this site, and i've seen so many members give you quality advice on training and nutrition. all of the bases have been covered. i suggest you reread all the threads you've created because you've already asked extremely detailed questions and have received many extremely detailed responses. you can't expect people to constantly repeat the same things over and over ad infinitum.

i'm sorry, but i don't think any response anyone gives you will be enough for you. i don't think these threads are helpful for you at all, and i think you're micromanaging things to an unhealthy degree. i do not believe the approach you're using has resulted in success for anyone here.

edit: and i'd like to point out that in your other thread, you said you're the "skinny" guy on this site. no, you are not the skinny guy on this forum. i'm 5'8" and weighed 140 before i started lifting. i'm on the same journey as you. you're not the only one who's had to work against skinny genetics, but i notice you brush aside a lot of what we tell you.

You just jump at the opportunity to have a pop at me don't you.

Your wrong on nearly all those points anyway.

First off, I do have diet covered. From all those "extremely detailed threads" I've learned allot. The one your referring to, was the last one I'll need to post.
If you haven't noticed, I've been lifting for around 3 months now, and have gained weight and made progress. I agree I was undershooting my protein somewhat, but that diet got the OK from a few members on here when I asked.
I'm eating more protein now based on what everyone told me in my last post.
When I said I have it covered, I do, or else I wouldn't have said it. There's no more questions to ask for me now regarding diet.

I got over the endless deliberation, and started lifting weights, even if I do ask allot of questions. If all those threads resulted in nothing, I wouldn't have started at all.

You speak as though I just disregard every piece of information I get on here which is entirely wrong. If I thought no one on here knew what they were talking about, then I wouldn't still be here would I.
My whole routine and diet is based off of the information I got on here.
Yes, I'm OCD about things, yes I get confused and often end up spinning my wheels, but I'm still progressing regardless, because I've learned to power through it somewhat.

Your comments made sense a couple months back when you said the same thing, but I've clearly moved on somewhat since then. most of the questions I have now are about things I'm actively DOING, not going to do.

Lastly, I am the skinny one on the forums right now. I quite obviously wasn't labeling myself THE FIRST was I.
I didn't mean I'm the only guy who's ever been skinny, and your 60+ pounds extra weight than me, hardly puts you in the skinny category.
I suppose that was just added in there for good measure as another pointless point you can use against me.

If you think I'm talking crap all the time, then why bother viewing my threads in the first place.

Get over your grudge, whilst I get over my OCD.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 05-01-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill88 View Post
There's been a time where my Bench and OH Press stayed the same. And theres been a time when my squat and deadlift stayed the same. But, after grinding it for a month or two they finally went up 5 or 10 pounds.

You don't really need to back down. Lets say your your overhead press is 100 pounds and you try to add 5lbs. If that extra 5lbs is a little too heavy for you. Keep repping out 100 pounds until you get better. Or lets say you added 5lbs and can only do 105 for 3 reps. Keep working at the weight until you can hit your goal for 5 reps.

Its all just a part of natural progression. Hope this gave you some insight.

That helped, thank you.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Pick up the big weight, put he big weight down, Repeat until you can no longer repeat. There is no ultra detailed, micro managed, go by the numbers, so that you can get big and strong, system ... a lot of this is about feel. You have to learn your own body and you have to learn what works and what doesn't.

Just going by your forum entries - you have only been training for a short time - stop thinking so much and just lift the damn weights. And this is coming from a guy who gets PAID to over think things.

If you stall on a weight either add a few reps or add a few lbs. and work your way back up to reps.... no one is going to put you in gym - jail if you do 6 reps as opposed to 5.

There are days when you will not progress in either. That's ok too. It is a slow process. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post

If you stall on a weight either add a few reps or add a few lbs. and work your way back up to reps.... no one is going to put you in gym - jail if you do 6 reps as opposed to 5.

There are days when you will not progress in either. That's ok too. It is a slow process. Good luck.

Good point, thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
You just jump at the opportunity to have a pop at me don't you.

I think it may come down to the fact that the poster had only just read your other thread asking about dietary nutrition, just an hour or so earlier than seeing this one and not necessarily so much a "pop at you", possibly.

When viewing forums, things tend to overlap.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

What program are you doing, LG?* And where are your lifts at?

It's often crappy programs, and maybe more often crappy form, that tends to get in the way of progress, so I hear. Also, lack of food / lack of protein might be tied for second (or first) place there.

As you seem to have food under control (I hope ), it's probably the program or your form, or both. And if you're not absolutely 100% sure of your form, consider having it checked some time.

Which reminds me, I should do that too!

* And how long for?