Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Shoulder Presses Versus Arnold Press (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13466)

SCStrong 04-27-2013 08:52 PM

Shoulder Presses Versus Arnold Press

Thought this would make an interesting discussion:

Is the Arnold Press easier on the rotator cuff than traditional dumbell / barbell presses? -

Anyone know the positives and or negatives of the Arnold Press?

5kgLifter 04-27-2013 08:57 PM

I know I don't fatigue as quickly with the Arnold Press as I do with the ordinary dumbbell shoulder press, due to the TOS and bloodflow issues, somebody did point out why that might be, quite a few years ago now, but I can't recall what their explanation for it was...all conjecture though.

Squatter 04-27-2013 09:08 PM

I actually fatigue way faster on Arnies than any other OHP movement.

The pro's must outweigh the cons with Arnies as JB includes them on his program "BIG". I personally do not recall anyone I have known around here getting hurt doing them.

BendtheBar 04-27-2013 09:34 PM

I handled OHPs much easier when I was younger. I can't comment about rotator cuffs, but I do like to keep OHPs these days in higher rep ranges with slightly lighter loads.

SCStrong 04-28-2013 11:48 AM

bumping this back up for conversation's sake

big_swede 04-28-2013 12:10 PM

Probably not since you have a rotation together with the press and that will put more stress on the RC I believe.

I think dumbell presses with palms facing each other is the less stressfull on the shoulers.

*Speaking out of experience, im no expert =)

Dray 04-28-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 356240)
I think dumbell presses with palms facing each other is the less stressfull on the shoulers.

That makes a lot of sense to me. It would also be the case with DB (or "football bar"?) bench press, right? And neutral grip pullups, etc.

Or so I've heard.

big_swede 04-28-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dray (Post 356255)
That makes a lot of sense to me. It would also be the case with DB (or "football bar"?) bench press, right? And neutral grip pullups, etc.

Or so I've heard.

Yes I think so, I can barely do dumbell benchpress due to an old shoulder injury but when I started to do them palms faceing It 's painless.

leefarley 04-28-2013 02:46 PM

i have never done Arnie preeses but DB shoulder press is alot harder on my delts then BB ohp.

nighttrain 04-28-2013 03:41 PM

I fatigue a lot faster and cant do nearly as much weight when doing Arnies as when do reg DB shoulder presses....
not sure as to what one is better or worse, I just rotate them out in my workouts Arnies for a while then switch to DB shoulder presses