Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
glift
New Brawn
Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glift is off to a bad start
Default Teen bodybuilding

I heard that if you are a teen ( I am 16), you should stick to exercises that are compound. Do you agree with this and if so what is the reasoning behind it?
glift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

you should do compound exercises regardless of age or level, specially for beginners and intermediates.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Because the BIG compound lifts require that you use a greater amount of muscle.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Bodypart split training (the stuff you read about in magazines where you do a different body part every day) became popular when big name bodybuilders started talking about their routines. Only problem is, these guys are juiced to the gills. Steroids change how your body responds, and therefore how you train changes. And even many of the top name bodybuilders actually train certain bodyparts multiple times per week.

Natural athletes have to go about things differently. You want to maximize your natural hormone production. The way to do this is to place as much resistance as possible on the biggest muscles of your body. The way to do THAT is through heavy compound movements. Squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, pullups, overhead press. Think squats and deadlifts combined with any movement where you move a barbell closer to or farther away from your body.

These movements will force your body to adapt by releasing a crap load of testosterone. You'll get bigger and stronger, and testosterone also keeps you lean even when you eat more food.

Conversely, if you focus on isolation movements you won't force your body to get stronger. You'll remain weak and small and die alone.

I'm sorry. I'm watching metalocolypse and feeling very brutal at the moment.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Yeah screw iso's for now mate, stick to your main lifts.
Deadlift, rows,bench,squat,pullups

I'm 16 too, I'm on a 5x5
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Yeah screw iso's for now mate, stick to your main lifts.
Deadlift, rows,bench,squat,pullups

I'm 16 too, I'm on a 5x5
and ohp, dips.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Heracles94
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench press
Fav Supp: I only use protein powder
Heracles94 has made some quality postsHeracles94 has made some quality postsHeracles94 has made some quality postsHeracles94 has made some quality postsHeracles94 has made some quality postsHeracles94 has made some quality posts

Both are important
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glift View Post
I heard that if you are a teen ( I am 16), you should stick to exercises that are compound. Do you agree with this and if so what is the reasoning behind it?
One way of looking at it this in terms of bang-per-buck. You could spend an hour in the gym doing laterals, three types of curls and tricep pushdowns. However, in this scenario, you've only worked perhaps 5% of your overall skeletal muscle mass. There just isn't that much potential for growth. The same workout spent -for example - squatting, chinning and overhead pressing might work 75% of your overall muscle mass.

The second option is therefore a more productive way to spend an hour's gym time and offers more potential for stimulating a large number of muscle fibres.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
tptrill
New Brawn
Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6

tptrill is off to a good starttptrill is off to a good starttptrill is off to a good starttptrill is off to a good start

You have to do what is right for you but I would recommend that you stick with the exercises that were stated above: dips, deadlifts, squats, etc.
tptrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

The simple fact is that compuond lifts coupeled with a solid diet will result in greater mass ( and strength) gains than isolation lifts. As everyone else has said- stick with presses, deads, squats, OHP's, dips and the sort until you have achieved a solid foundation. Most natural athletes will not benefit from high volume, single body part splits and / or loads of isolation exercises.

Want Proof? I refer you to many of the guys and gals on this forum as well as big names such as - Reg Park, Arnold, (who followed Park's methods to get big and strong) Franco Columbo ,Bertelli Fox,Mark Rippetoe, John MaCallum, Randall Strossen and the list goes on and on.

But please remember you gotta lift big, eat big and sleep big to get big.... do not alter the formula and you will do fine. oh yeah, and bacon!!! Goood luck and happy lifting.